Where's A Great Sandwich on the Northshore?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    I got a sudden want for a gourmet sandwich, something along the lines of Adam Rich's "Best Sandwich In America" show. (Domelise's po boys come to mind, but I don't want to go to the southshore). I've been to the various Bear's on the Northshore, great sandwiches, but I want something different. Anyone have a recommendation for a great sandwich place?

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Jockos check in check out, on old spanish trail in Slidell.

that place is disgusting. had a roast beef po boy from there was just deli meat with canned gravy. made so sick the dog wouldn't even eat the other half.

if you're going to get a po boy in slidell the only place i could recommend is southside cafe or possibly the new place on gause NOLA grill. they have a pretty good pork sandwich

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Nothing stands out in my mind.

You could call Friday's and see if they will make you a "Hot Sicilian." Hasn't been on the menu in years, but sometimes they will make you one anyway. Its their version of a muffaletta, on large english muffin with bacon added. Mmmm.

Now you got me Jonesin' for a Monte Cristo. Haven't had one in decades. One of the best sammiches ever conceived by man. Nobody knows what they are, anymore.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I haven't had a good Monte Cristo in years. Damn now I gotta find one

Friend, you are part of a rare breed for even knowing what it is. If you find one, I will be forever in your debt if you steer me that way.

Poboys, Schmoboys. What this town needs is a real New York Delicatessen.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Friend, you are part of a rare breed for even knowing what it is. If you find one, I will be forever in your debt if you steer me that way.

Poboys, Schmoboys. What this town needs is a real New York Delicatessen.

I know of a great little restaurant but its about a 16 hr drive.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Well let us in on it. What is it? :D

I'll tell you,but I can't guarantee your safety afterwards.

Simply said, it is a classic club sandwich, batter dipped, deep fried golden, extremely lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar. Used to see them in places frequented by businessmen. My personal fav was those at the old Petroleum Club in Memphis.

S&W: Your version sounds pretty good, too.

Guys, I'm gonna be out of touch. Gotta go pick up some sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, salami, cheeses. God, I hope I can find some Pumpernickel. Maybe some red onion.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I'll tell you,but I can't guarantee your safety afterwards.

Simply said, it is a classic club sandwich, batter dipped, deep fried golden, extremely lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar. Used to see them in places frequented by businessmen. My personal fav was those at the old Petroleum Club in Memphis.

S&W: Your version sounds pretty good, too.

Guys, I'm gonna be out of touch. Gotta go pick up some sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, salami, cheeses. God, I hope I can find some Pumpernickel. Maybe some red onion.

I see you're in Slidell. Where do you go for high quality sandwich fixins? Best I know of is Rouses' boars head brand. I know NOLA has a few NYC type Jewish Deli's but that's too far to drive.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Yes, Rouse's is good. But, since living here, I've adapted to what I can find. IMO the way you assemble and present the sandwich can overcome. I prefer Cotto salami to the hard varieties. As long as what I buy actually is made with peppercorns, I'm okay. I often select a Virginia baked ham, but Chesesi is an option, at times. Sam's has a good selection of cheeses at very good prices.

Whatever meats I buy, I insist on it being shaved. Its probably not true, but I think that releases more of the flavor.

I shred the lettuce after it has soaked 10-15 minutes in ice water. Makes it really cool and crisp. A nice contrast, since I often grill the meat and serve warm.

Exotic breads are tougher to find. But I was in Madisonville the other day and saw a gourmet bakery on 22 across from Beau Chene. It is on my list, next time I am up that way.

Just the meat is usually stacked at least an inch high when I am making a real sandwich.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Ozark Cafe in Jasper Ar off highway 7...

Man, you got a real mean streak. First, a piece of heaven @900/acre, and now this. :D

Hmm. I've been known to make a 200mi. round trip just to get Krystal hamburgers. Nah, that was back in my 40's when I was still young and dumb and..........nevermind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom