Which AR mags should I buy and why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    Ok folks I'm a long time "gunner", but I'm just now venturing off into the AR-15 world. I've decided on the rifle I'm going to get, but now I'm confused by the choices in magazines. Pmags seem to be at the top of the list, but which ones? 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and then do they need windows or not? Any advice would be appreciated.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you just want **** that works, keeps working, and doesn't break the bank, go with regular USGI mags.

Right now the prices aren't back to what they were, so they're about the same, give or take $1 or so as a PMAG gen2.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines dh bt30mf 10pack.htm
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319180134/magpul-pmag-m2-moe-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-30-round

If you want to be a snob and make fun of other peoples' stuff at the range, but not actually get any better function, you can buy these Hk mags:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/73...-223-remington-30-round-stainless-steel-black

Otherwise, Lancer AW5, Magpul M3s, and all that stuff... I just don't see why, for the most part.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Lancer L5AWM or Magpul PMags, gen 2 or 3. All are good to go, my best suggestion is buy whichever you find cheapest. Personally I prefer a couple little things about the Lancers but either works fine. I've never really considered the windows on the PMags a necessity.

If it's still available, dsgarms.com had a smoking deal on PMags this weekend, 3 for $30 your choice of gen 2 or 3.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Lancer L5AWM or Magpul PMags, gen 2 or 3. All are good to go, my best suggestion is buy whichever you find cheapest. Personally I prefer a couple little things about the Lancers but either works fine. I've never really considered the windows on the PMags a necessity.

If it's still available, dsgarms.com had a smoking deal on PMags this weekend, 3 for $30 your choice of gen 2 or 3.
    Oh ****, 3 gen 3s for $10 ea... I may have to bite on that just to see what the new ones are like.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    One caveat to USGI mags though...not all are created equal. There's a lot of garbage aluminum GI "style" mags on the market. For example I've had nothing but bad experience with C-products mags. The only ones I have seen recommended by people I trust cost as much or more than PMags so I don't really see the point.

MikeM

ThatGuyMikeM
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Hammond, LA
    Definitely Magpul. Gen 2 or 3. The 3's come with dust covers, along with other slight differences. Both are good to go. Great mags, at great prices.

Dsgarms.com has 3 packs of the m3's for $10 a mag. Doesn't really get cheaper than that. The m2 is still 17-20 at academy.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    What about a 30 round mag I saw at Cabellas today for 9.95.. I think it D&H ? I would think they'd be good range mags. 9.95 is a pretty good buy if the mag works OK.

I have Pmags 30 rounders. Gen2. You can buy those online for 11 bucks at a few web vendors.

I also have a Brownell 30 rounder. It is built well and has not given me any probe at all.

The two Pmags are superb. The gen 2 mags are cheap... buy those as well

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    All of my usgi mags function wonderfully. I've never used PMag so i cant say for that but they look pretty cool, I'm sure they work if these guys say they do, some have a great deal of shooting time under their belts. My suggestion is disassemble and clean mags that get used regularly, kind of like a 3 month or 6 month service; dirt, carbon, etc can make the follower catch inside sometimes.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Ok folks I'm a long time "gunner", but I'm just now venturing off into the AR-15 world. I've decided on the rifle I'm going to get, but now I'm confused by the choices in magazines. Pmags seem to be at the top of the list, but which ones? 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and then do they need windows or not? Any advice would be appreciated.

Lancer L5 AWM
    PMAG

These seem to be the top two recommended. I have personally had good service from both.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    One caveat to USGI mags though...not all are created equal. There's a lot of garbage aluminum GI "style" mags on the market. For example I've had nothing but bad experience with C-products mags. The only ones I have seen recommended by people I trust cost as much or more than PMags so I don't really see the point.

I have had horrible experiences with that company as well as their product. I bought some of their stainless mags about 5 years or so ago, and they sucked. Bolt would not strip a round from them with 20 in them from dropping the bolt-release. (they were 20's for bench use).

They replaced them with the wrong mags.

THAT! took weeks.

Very poor communication. Peevish owner. Sold them on AR15.com as the replacements weren't what I wanted, and bought something else.

LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    Wow, great feedback guys. I think the Pmags are the direction I'll go. Gen2 or Gen3....whichever I find the best deal on. BTW, I'm getting a Colt LE6920.... Or rather the M4 carbine. Whichever you prefer to call it. Is there anything in particular I should look out for on this rifle? I've never owned an AR-15 of any type so I have a learning curve to say the least. LOL

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Wow, great feedback guys. I think the Pmags are the direction I'll go. Gen2 or Gen3....whichever I find the best deal on. BTW, I'm getting a Colt LE6920.... Or rather the M4 carbine. Whichever you prefer to call it. Is there anything in particular I should look out for on this rifle? I've never owned an AR-15 of any type so I have a learning curve to say the least. LOL

SOCOM model of the LE6920 is what we were issued. Troy quad rail, back up iron sight. M4A1 carbine rollmarks, ambi safety I hear on the new ones. I feel the standard LE6920 would greatly suffice, and you can fully customize to YOUR liking and load out, I'd personally buy the SOCOM for my own personal reasons, nothing affecting performance either way.

I'll reiterate I have not had issues with the USGI mags. Others' experience may differ.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    One thing to think about why to get Pmags or other high quality polymer mags, is if you train with your AR the mags will be getting tossed around, you will be dropping the mags, and they may be flying with rounds still in them, they may get stepped on, or worse... And a USGI mag is easily bent up or destroyed were as a Pmag keeps on ticking, also I have heard from good sources that when the mag needs out of the magwell the Pmags like to fly out better and faster than a USGI one...

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I disagree with this sports bud. All of my USGIs drop freely in training and combat. It's never been an issue having them drop freely for me or my squad members. Even diving against stone or walls, or running around my truck getting the f out of the way of contact. I haven't smashed or broke a mag, even in an ied blast. I've seen machine gun belts cook off in a pressure switch ied explosion but not the USGI mags. I trust them 110%.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Excellent choice on the Colt. Nothing to look out for, just buy it and shoot the hell out of it. :)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    USGI Mags work great. You just cant think of mags like they are made of magic. When they break you trash em. They are expendables. I'm not a Pmag fan but the price is hard to beat. I like Lancer AWMs a lot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom