Which one???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I guess its similar to the 9mm vs 45acp debate for archery.

Speed vs Weight

Ill take speed when and where I can get it, how bout yall?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    The two trains of thought are:
    Speed = less arrow drop at range, less chance of a deer jumping your string; if you shoot a fixed blade broadhead it may not fly ture like a field point.
    Weight gives you better penetration broadhaeds inflict damage buy cutting only so if you dont shoot a pass through your missing out and will have trouble tracking.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Luckily I get the best of both worlds with my 32" draw :D. Im at 412-415 grains and shooting 304 fps at 62lbs! I am going to turn up to 70 when I man up haha and hopefully push 325fps

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Luckily I get the best of both worlds with my 32" draw :D. Im at 412-415 grains and shooting 304 fps at 62lbs! I am going to turn up to 70 when I man up haha and hopefully push 325fps

Haven't weighed my arrows, but I'm shooting Easton Full Metal Jackets 28.5" with 100 grain broad heads at 260fps. That a pretty good balance, but I'd go weight over speed, if I had to choose. I always want to make a pass through shot.

Good Hunting!

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    IMO the only thing that beats sharp is shot placement.
    A very heavy, fast and sharp arrow will not do the job if you don't first hit the deer and secondly hit it in the kill zone.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

As with all shooting sports, you can't buy equipment that will replace skill and repetition.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I use a bear traditional, 60lb draw. Sharp is best. The weight of an arrow head makes it easier for you to hit your target, IMO, not do more damage when it gets there. I haven't killed enough with my bow to really put this to the test, but it makes sense. Big, heavy arrows fly better for me. Lighter, thinner arrows might work better for a faster bow.
    My anchor point with a long bow is pretty long (almost 30") so weight helps me minimize arrow flex on my long ass arrows.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I started this thread because Im looking at getting new arrows and am debating on goinig heavier with the Easton FMJ or
    the new Carbon Xpress Blue Streak Select with .001 straightness and 1 grain tolerance are hard to pass on.

100gr 2 blade RAGE

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Haven't weighed my arrows, but I'm shooting Easton Full Metal Jackets 28.5" with 100 grain broad heads at 260fps. That a pretty good balance, but I'd go weight over speed, if I had to choose. I always want to make a pass through shot.

Good Hunting!

This is a handy little kinetic energy calculator I like to use to figure out how hard my arrows are going to hit.

If your shooting FMJs and your arrow is about 28 1/2 inches long that should put it in at around 450 grains with a broadhead (I measured one for a customer today and it looked to be about 29 inches or so and his was 465).

And if your shooting 260 FPS your looking at about 68 lbs of kinetic energy when the arrow leaves the bow.

Now if you switched to something lighter say around 400 grains and (depending on your bow) got even 25-30 FPS faster with the lighter arrow, you would up your KE to 72 thus giving you more penetrating power when you hit the deer.

Just something to think about :D

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Didn't get the chance to chrono my last bow (PSE X-Force GX "IBO 356") but it slung the crap out of a 465gr Carbon Express Piledriver Hunter and it felt and looked around 280ish which is flying for a heavy weight arrow. My next arrow is a Gold Tip Velocity Hunter.......Much lighter and much needed in a .300 spine!

Speed and smooth draw is where it's at for me and PSE is the only way to go for me and I've shot alot of bow's!

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I feel pretty confident in my carbon arrows with 100gr rage three blade tips, but I am new to bows any thoughts on the rage broadheads?

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    The rages are great if you can make a clean shot. They won't get hung up on a rib but if you hit a shoulder blade you are less likely to get a good kill shot, the cutting blade on the front will bend into a hook shape when you hit sonething hard. I took my first deer with my bow this year at 40 yards and hit it in the spine with my 3 blade Rage. The arrow stopped dead and only penetrated about 3/4". Not a drop of blood came out. I had to get down and hit her again at about 15 yards. That being said they cut excellently. Very sharp and the three blades leave a big hole.

The hole in the bottom was the entrance and it came out on the same side of the rib cage near the spine. Both of the holes about the same size.

If you are worried about hitting a shoulder blade, you should be shooting something with a good hard cutting point like a Schwacker or a Grim Reaper. We get a lot of people in the store claiming those style of broadheads will break through both shoulder blades and stick into the ground. I am not promising that but it will be more likely to break through a shoulder.

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Im pretty confident in my accuracy but who knows how I will react the first time a deer walks out while im bow hunting im sure ill get shaky. But it looks like it did the job! So I will stay with the rage broadheads for now. Thanks for responding!

Top Bottom