which pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jorawil

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    B.R.,La.
    I am looking at buying a new pistol. Springfield emp or kimber ultra carry. I would like any info good or bad on each.

Thanks,
    john

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    don't know if you'd consider a Colt, but there's a pawn shop in Gonzales that has a New Agent and a Defender both for $650 each. the old Gene's; now Pelican Pawn.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I have the Springfield EMP 9MM
    It is a good looking gun and lots of fun to shoot.
    I have nothing but good things to say about mine. The price is a little higher but I believe you pay for what you get. Go for it!

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    There are some things to consider when buying a 3" 1911. In short, it's difficult to get a reliable 1911 in that small of a package, but not impossible. I have a EMP40 that gave me problems when i first bought it. I ended up having to send it back to springfield twice to have it worked on, but it runs excellent now. Springfield's customer service and lifetime warranty is excellent. It sucks to have to send a gun back to the manufacturer, and even more to have one malfunctioning when you plan to use it as your daily carry, but springfield made it all better. I've probably put ~1200 rounds through it since the last trip to springfield, with no problems.

My dad also has a EMP 9 that he had to send back to fix a couple small problems, but it functioned fine other than that. Springfield was once again, very helpful.

I'm not sure about Kimber's warranty (I think it's 1 year, not sure), or their customer service. I've heard some say "it's a nightmare" but I don't recall ever talking to someone who had first hand experience with it.

I love my EMP so if you're going to choose one or the other, I'd recommend that, especially with Springfield's customer service.

Basically, just be aware that buying a 3" 1911 may require you to send it back to the manufacturer for a little tweaking... but there are plenty of people out there that have problem free guns.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I talked to a guy who worked for Colt many years ago. He was on the design team for the Officer's Model. His advice? Change the springs very regularly (Once a month) even if you don't shoot it. Basically JM Browning designed it as a full size and reliablity has always been a problem for small 1911's. My advice is if you want to go small get something else.

Dave

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Oh and I'm not sure which caliber you planned on choosing... but the difference in weight between the emp40 and the emp9 is substantial. I love my 40 and it's easy to control due to the weight, but if you don't want something heavy I'd get the 9. I think the 9's have had less issues as well.

Edit: I did change the recoil spring after ~1200 rounds because my brass started flying to BFE, but I didn't notice and problems with functionality.

Last edited:

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I've had a bad experience with a kimber ultra carry, and I wouldn't consider another one. That doesn't mean that you can't find better, and I think an emp should be a better choice.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    And technically speaking... the EMP was redesigned "from the ground up" for the shorter cartridges.

Yes I read their press release and the media sycophants in gun magazines.

In both 9mm and .40 S&W for a very small semiautomatic I feel that there are better options than the ultra small 1911's.

Dave

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Yes I read their press release and the media sycophants in gun magazines.

In both 9mm and .40 S&W for a very small semiautomatic I feel that there are better options than the ultra small 1911's.

Dave

Well I think it's obvious from my original post that it's not the best choice...

No one said it was.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Mini 1911s...low capacity, questionable reliability and twice as heavy as comparable carry guns...and too small to be enjoyable as a range gun. Someone please tell me why they exist again?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Mini 1911s...low capacity, questionable reliability and twice as heavy as comparable carry guns...and too small to be enjoyable as a range gun. Someone please tell me why they exist again?

I think it's b/c gun rags tell us all the ultra elite hyper trained "operators" prefer 1911's.

i.e. People that spend too much time on the internet and reading magazines telling and retelling each other what works and not enough time at the range actually learning what works.

Dave

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I think it's b/c gun rags tell us all the ultra elite hyper trained "operators" prefer 1911's.

i.e. People that spend too much time on the internet and reading magazines telling and retelling each other what works and not enough time at the range actually learning what works.

Dave

Yeah... that's why I bought an EMP... because I heard about it in a magazine, and on the internet, and I want to be a hyper trained operator, like gecko45.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The EMP's work more often than not-- due in no small part to the fact that they're not chambered like normal 1911's, and as noted, have been redesigned from the ground up. (Why they would do that appears to be a sore point in this thread-- and I'd say the "marketability niche" is the only logical answer. Practicality is another story.)

Other 3" 1911's are going to be problematic more often than not-- no matter how much you try to tune them. Good freakin' luck.

Find a serious person who (seriously) knows what they're talking about carrying a 3" 1911 (of any flavor), and I'll eat my hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom