Which rifle in what caliber has had most influence ever

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Of all the guns and calibers which ONE gun in which caliber has had the most influence on the American shooter ever? (Please exclude military guns).

Personally, I think the bolt action .22 caliber has been by and far the most endeared firearm of all times. Most everyone started out their shooting experience with a .22 and to this day I think most would agree the .22 is the most fun round out there.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most of the popular cartridges began as military rounds, so you're excluding a lot. But... I suppose a single-shot 22. Simple and cheap and good for small game or just playing around as an adult or kid.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    12 gauge shotgun

*edit*.......DOHHHH......just reread the title and saw it specifically asked which RIFLE. Nevermind, move along, nothing to see here. :D

Last edited:

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    If military rifles are excluded, then there are none left to chose from. Sporting rifles in bolt action are based on three military rifles, Mauser, Enfield, and Springfield actions. automatics were developed for the military first, then civilian models later. Lever actions, breach loaders, even muzzle loaders were first developed for the military. The most popular cartridges were originally developed for military applications. SO doesn't leave much to chose from.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    There are lots of guns that have had an influence, but there are different types of influences.

The AK47 has influenced certain nations to fight for their freedoms, and has been behind every war since the 50's.

The Winchester lever action in various calibers changed the west, and changed how the US developed. Also, you can't forget the Colt SAA in .45LC.

There are too many guns to decide, but every single gun has had an impact on the world in one way or another. Hell, even Lorcin/Raven/Jennings/Bryco has had an impact on the world.........

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As others have noted, if you exclude military cartridges, you have very few popular rounds left to choose from. In which case, I say you're spot on with the .22; aside from being a "starter" for most people, it's still used widely today for plinking and practice. Of course, your bolt action example almost certainly comes from a military action, but...

My very first thought, before the "no military" distinction, was the 30-06, but other examples have since popped into my mind. I think thus far, this thread has every base covered in terms of good answers, without any blasphemy as of yet.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    The 1903 Springfield loaded with .30-06. It evolved into the M-1 Garand, the BAR, the 1918 light machinegun, the M-14 shooting in .308/7.62 nato which gave us the M-60 which gave us the Mini-Gatlin gun.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    30-30 lever

My dad used to tell me that it was responsible for decimating the Buffalo population in the old west... to which I replied, probably the Indian population as well!

If not that then probably the 30.06 for basis of "parent cartridge "

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lilvonte722
    Top Bottom