Which rifle in what caliber has had most influence ever

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The musket...

SMLE in .303 would be the correct answer if you include military.

SAA for handguns.

While the bolt .22 is a good choice, how about the Ruger .22 pistols? Has anyone not shot one?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Both 8mm mauser and 30.06 have numerous cartridges designed on their case. Behind either one of those I'd say 308 because again so many other popular cartridges used that as a starting point. I read your post about the 30.06 being based off of the 8mm Mauser but there are enough differences for me to consider them two different parent cartridges for many other rounds. But only the 30.06 and 308 are still being used to base other cartridges from in america at least. NO ONE is still designing things using the 303 british as a starting point.

Dave

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The .303 Brit Mk VII round (somebody correct me if I'm off) was one of the first rounds to use a hollow cavity in the nose of a FMJ round to encourage a bullet to tumble on impact. It was also one of the first applications of smokeless powder, IIRC.

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    well... i gotta say.. you cant really ask that questions and exclude military calibers and rifles seeing as metallic cartridges evolved as military weaponry. even if some were never put into use, the metallic cartridge was soley developed for fast and reliable reloading on the battlefield. your average farmer in 1890 still poured his loose black powder into his field guns... and even the first match, flint and caplocks were developed as weapons of war and not hunting.

this whole thing reminds of the general ranting i witnesses and partitcipated in while much younger and attending gunsmith school in PA.

you always had that one guy there who stuck to his "jeff cooper says" guns and would never admit that some of the good colonels theories were a little shall we say.. enthusiastic

so to get to my answer the long way around i think one of the most influencial calibers in american history is the .222 remington. the triple deuce led to the developement of the current US military round and like the 5.56 or not, we sure have expended plenty of them in national conflict globally since 1965.

now if you want to talk about a round that led the way for the culture of small bore long range varmint hunting, i would go with the 250-3000 savage which of course led to the .22-250, arguably the finest long range varmint round ever.

if i had to go with a rifle action itself that was created as a non military action and has distinct differences in its bolt, trigger, and recoil lug design from any bolt action military rifle before its creation, i'd go with the remington 700. it was not used as a standard sniper rifle for years after is release as a sporting arm on the american market.

i would be glad to continue my rant on rifle calibers and various other firearm jibberish however that will require the combination of crawfish and beer or wafflehouse and coffee and its too late for either.... so feel free to invite me for either at a later date and i'll rant some more.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Nope you're absolutely right LaCamper. The 303 British was very innovative at the time. I guess I was going by the amount of different rounds a cartridge spawned more than that. But I see your point.

Dave

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    The 1903 Springfield loaded with .30-06. It evolved into the M-1 Garand, the BAR, the 1918 light machinegun, the M-14 shooting in .308/7.62 nato which gave us the M-60 which gave us the Mini-Gatlin gun.

Which evolved from the Mauser 98
    Mauser_m98.jpg

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Even if you include military guns, the OP says "caliber", so what evolved from a particular gun doesn't matter. Heck, considering posterity, the most influential gun should be some bamboo stick musket that shot rocks since every gun we have today followed it.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    30-30 lever

My dad used to tell me that it was responsible for decimating the Buffalo population in the old west... to which I replied, probably the Indian population as well!

If not that then probably the 30.06 for basis of "parent cartridge "

I am pretty sure that the Buffalo and the Indians were pretty much done for by the time the .30-30 was even invented. (First marketed in 1895 for the 1894 Winchester rifle)

But, I agree with jimdana1942 and the .22 Rifle based on the criteria he set. I couldn't imagine not having one to use and that's influential my friends.:D

Be well my friends.
    Al

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    ^
    This, without a doubt. IMO.

I agree that the Daisy is popular with most kids and I am not trying to split hairs but, the Daisy BB gun does not meet the criteria set by the OP. Which rifle in what caliber has had most influence ever

Although the Daisy may look like a Rifle it is in fact a spring/air powered smooth bore. And, assuming the OP meant "Cartridge" instead of caliber, the Daisy has no cartridge.

My 2 cents. Be well.
    Al

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Okay, I'll admit- I screwed up and said .30-06 and not an actual rifle.....

If I had to pick a type of rifle, I'd have to say the Mauser bolt action design. I don't believe it's been improved on since it became the world standard in bolt actions.
    JMHO.

So I think rightfully it's a two part question.:D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom