Which would you buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Was in a Walmart of all places and they had two AR10 for sale. One was a Bushmaster for a little over $1100 and a DPMS for just under $1000. I did not even realize that BM even made a 308 model. I am not a huge fan of either brand, but for those prices, I may pick one up.

Opinions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    It was probably the Oracle. That's the lowest priced one. I have a dpms recon 308 and I really like it.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Not real sure, I am guessing it was the Oracle. I looked on DPMS site to see if I could figure that out. It had no shell deflector on the upper. I was not able to get a close look at it in the store though.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks for the link. That is cool. I never see these kind of things on slick guns. How did you find it?

Was looking for a deal on an ACOG for a buddy of mine, and they had that link on the front page. I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week... Ha

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes I will look at those too. Fully ambidextrous. That would be nice. More $$ though.

Well, what are you buying the rifle for? Is it filling a need or just a toy? I don't understand buying a gun based solely on price I guess, and I certainly wouldn't buy a gun just because it was cheap. Especially when you said yourself you weren't a fan of either brand.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    More a toy. Possibly hunting sometimes. Not buying solely on cost. But that is always a factor for anything I buy.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I enjoy investing, especially in my hobbies. I buy many of my guns on price alone.

Example: I don't need ten Glocks. But if you offer to sell me 6 for 100.00 apiece, I'll own ten. :dunno:

different strokes I guess

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I enjoy investing, especially in my hobbies. I buy many of my guns on price alone.

Example: I don't need ten Glocks. But if you offer to sell me 6 for 100.00 apiece, I'll own ten. :dunno:

different strokes I guess

I get that, but you're still buying Glocks. That's different than saying "man HiPoints are cheaper than I thought, I don't like them but I'm gonna buy one because it's cheap."

It was an honest question. Personally I feel that if I'm gonna spend $1000 on a gun, even if it's just for fun, I'll gladly spend a hundred or two more if it means getting something that will serve me better.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I get that, but you're still buying Glocks. That's different than saying "man HiPoints are cheaper than I thought, I don't like them but I'm gonna buy one because it's cheap."

It was an honest question. Personally I feel that if I'm gonna spend $1000 on a gun, even if it's just for fun, I'll gladly spend a hundred or two more if it means getting something that will serve me better.

zero argument there.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA

And I agree also. So are these not worth buying?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll say this first: I know very little regarding the various AR manufacturers and their perceived levels of quality or popularity.

I've got friends that own oracles that paid 7-800 bucks, and fellow leos that own colt models that paid ~1100. The colt is a huge step ahead, and well worth the extra couple hundred bucks in my opinion. On a budget, I don't see anything wrong with the Bushmaster or Smith M&P15 (700-ish range)

Maybe someone could elaborate to us further on the differences?

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I had a plain jane DPMS LR-308 AP4 carbine. 1st gen. It shot everything I put in it. I loved that rifle.

If I were to chose between the two at Wally World I'd pick the DPMS.
    But like speed said, spend the extra $$ if you want a really good one.

Most likely that DPMS will do anything you want it to do, and hold up as long as you don't abuse it.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    Not real sure, I am guessing it was the Oracle. I looked on DPMS site to see if I could figure that out. It had no shell deflector on the upper. I was not able to get a close look at it in the store though.

Panther Oracle Sport 7.62 sounds like. While I've not shot one, my Oracle 5.56 has proven to be reliable and accurate.

Top Bottom