Whiskey Chitto Canoe Trip

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A friend of mine asked me the other day if I'd like to go on a canoe trip with them. They are renting canoe's but didn't tell me where they are renting from.

I'm assuming this will be different than whenever my buddies and I go down the river in a pirogue. So what should I bring along?

I figured some of you guys that live out that way might know about it.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Depends if you're camping on a sandbar or just taking a day float trip. Go get some watertight bags (3-pack of small ones plus one big one) from Wallyworld for your gear. Wear some lightweight pants or long shorts so the top of your knees don't burn. Wear a wide-brimmed hat. Bring all of your normal lightweight camping gear, xtra clothes, skeeter spray, sunscreen, personal hygiene, non-perishable high-energy foods, and water (or water filter). Also might want to invest in some decent water shoes. If you're camping out, don't forget a light chair, tent and an air-up raft to use as a mattress on those rocky sandbars. Just make sure all of your gear is in one of those big yellow watertight bags and it's strapped in the canoe and you'll be good. Have fun!

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I bought some water shoes at academy yesterday, I'll be making a trip to wally world soon for those water tight bags.

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    there are so many operations running out there, a float plan is of no use. LOL

Bring rope to tie your ice chest of beer down. Current can get swift if the river is up. One log, and you'll roll over quick. It's a pretty river, lots of sand bars to stop and relax on. Some folks set up volleyball nets and such.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I drive over it in several different spots every day :)

The simplest things are;
    Sun Screen,
    Ice Chest,
    Towels,
    Water,
    Food,
    First Aid Kit.

You float down, stop whenever you want, hangout/party with the other folks you'll see on the sand bars, float down a little further repeat, float down further, repeat.......

I've never seen anyone fishing though, kinda pointless with several a few hundred people floating though there drinking and partying it up.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I've " heard " that the SO round there is hard on drugs, like they have been known to ck people on the river, of course I know you won't have that, just sayin somtimes I'm sure when dopers are scarce they get on drinkin folks

Have not been there myself in a long time, just what I heard last summer

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    there are so many operations running out there, a float plan is of no use. LOL

You should always leave a float plan, dude... even if it's only verbal. If you don't show up at the end of the weekend, someone has to know where you were supposed to be before they can start looking for you. Hell, you could be trapped in your vehicle a mile away from the canoe rental, praying for someone to save you... your float plan would tell them where you were going to rent your canoes and the hwy route you took to get there. All useful info for searchers. But, I know... "it'll never happen to me"

It's just about being prepared... I always leave a roadtrip plan with family before vacation, too. I always carry a pistol in case of an attempted crime against me or my family. I always carry a poncho and boots in case I have to change a flat in the rain. Still haven't had to use any of the above.

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I've " heard " that the SO round there is hard on drugs, like they have been known to ck people on the river, of course I know you won't have that, just sayin somtimes I'm sure when dopers are scarce they get on drinkin folks

Have not been there myself in a long time, just what I heard last summer

I know that a lot of the locals don't take too kindly to rowdy drunks and will call the Sheriff if you rub them the wrong way.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm bringing a small backpack that I normally would use for hiking or sometimes I bring fishing or riding ATV's.

Contains the regular B.O.B. stuff but nothing extreme. I'm not sure how long we are staying, if we are camping or not. I'll have to find out soon.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've learned my lesson about getting sunburned. I'm going to pick up a boonie, a baseball cap isn't going to help much.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Check your location.
    We tube, kayak and canoe down the Bogue Chitto in MS.
    There is NO Alcohol on the river there!
    The law is strictly and actively enforced.
    There are agents along the river with binos checking floaters and agents in the river checking coolers.
    Word is they do NOT issue citations, they ARREST anyone violating the law.
    We love it!
    Seems to weed out most of the A$$holes and loud obnixous types.
    They would rather go somewhere than go without their beer.

HAVE FUN!!!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don't plan on bringing alcohol of any sort.

Two of my friends were severly injured in boating accidents because of alcohol. The other boat that they hit also had intoxicated passengers. One of which died.

I do plan on bringing my camera and I intend on finding a watertight bag of some sort so my camera isn't destroyed if something happens.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've come across river blocks by the SO a few times. Some of the rivers in MS cut into dry counties and they are waiting. I've known people that have been arrested... Not worth it.

I've also encountered drunks on the river. One on the Okatoma comes to mind. He was accusing someone in our group of stealing his wallet when we helped him back into his canoe after he dumped. I usually bring a small pistol along... more for 2 legged encounters than anything, but I've had problems with wild dogs while hiking in the past.

I had an old Korean era rucksack that went on all of my canoe trips (lost in Katrina). Everything went in and was waterproofed inside. That was strapped to the canoe. It survived an hour upside down 4' underwater once on Magee's Creek with nothing lost... I need to find another one!

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    If you wearglasses bring some type of strap or floatie for your them. I have seen way too many people donate glasses to the river gods.

Now if there is a spot where canoes spill alot, bring diving googles. I pulled one outboard up for Mr. Coy on the Okatoma and have found numerous sunglasses, watches and one wedding band.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Paddle, you didn't find a pair of prescription glasses by any chance? :)

That really made the rest of that trip interesting! I was kayaking drops when I couldn't see!

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    PROTECT your CAR KEYS. My GS has been up there numerous times. First time he lost his keys when canoe tumped over. Now, he does as many others. He leaves his keys at the office and leaves a key hidden in his vehicle and can call onstar if needed to unlock.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom