who else reads James Rawles books?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I read the Patriot and just finished Survivors this afternoon. I'm about to start on Founders. I'm not an avid reader, its hard to get me to read a gun magazine otger than looking at pictures and skimming articles much less a book. But I have become fond of the series. I like the detail he places in them as well as the scripture references. His decision to write about inflation causing our demise keeps my interest, because in my lifetime I see that happening. Its hard for me to stay focused when reading a book, but because he wrote it like a series of short storries that jumps from group to group chapter to chapter it really keeps my attention. So far I have to say Andy Laine's strugle in Survivors was the most entertaining.

Whats yall's opinions?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you liked those try Lights Out. It was available as a free download.

I enjoyed Survivors but felt that there was something missing when compared to Patriot. JMHO... I haven't picked up Founders yet.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I've read Survivors, on Founders now and Patriots after that. I enjoy reading them.

I just picked up Founders tonight, It came bundled with How to survive the end of the world as we know it. I kinda skimmed through that it seems to have useful information if for nothing a camping trip gone south. But I like Founders so far Im chapter 5 its start slow like the others but is picking up some.

The only other books I got into were those online ones Adrians Undead Diary, and Elmoryn. I cant remeber the author but they kept my interest. Elmoryn took a few chapters to gain my attention but a friend of mine kept pushing me to read it, it was worth it, turned out to be decent.

Ignore grammatical errors typing from my phone and ot thinks its the spelling bee champion sometimes.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Nomad? Can you elaborate? I didnt like his shopping lists he uses in his book if you know what I mean.. but I do not know his politics or anything.

Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was the same way as far as reading goes ( last time was in H.S. over 20 years ago), but shamelessly, I picked up my daughters Hunger Games, then read the other two, found a really good one called "One Second After" and that got me hooked on PAW books. Went through all 3 Rawles books and then caught "Lights Out" - very good. After L.O. I started on David C Waldrons "Dark Grid" and then right to the 2nd of his "Dark Road". I am now alternating between Joe Nobody's "Holding Their Own" series (on book 5) and 299 Days by Glen Tate (on book 6 of 10). Oh yeah, and Going Home by Angery American as well as Bruce "Buckshot" Hemming's "Grid Down - Reality Bites" and "Grid Down 2 - Perceptions of Reality". Sorry for the long post, but the Rawles books kinda led me to these others and most of them have a good enough story line to keep your attention as well as a few ideas for survival.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Nomad? Can you elaborate? I didnt like his shopping lists he uses in his book if you know what I mean.. but I do not know his politics or anything.

Lots of little things. To give credit where credit is due he was one of the first Internet books of the type (and I've read most of the books just mentioned)

I've seen him steal too many ideas over the years, pimp things which were absurd (like Pre 1899 guns (he was being paid to pimp) over a gunshow paperless Guns... It's ok to make money at it, but not giving bad advise because it makes you money!) and sell out too much. To say nothing of the prices he charges from some things. He makes a living from it... More power to him for that.... But, he crossed the line IMHO.

Him "publically shopping" for a "replacement wife" while his (then current) wife was still alive was just too wierd for words and would have pushed me across the line if I wasn't already (I was)

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I read a ton of Survival / TEOTWAWKI fiction. I did not care much for Patriots. Perhaps it is because I did not read it first before reading better authors. My absolute favorite was a series written in Novella Format (short books) called Renewal by JF Perfkins. I believe there are 10 of them and they are .99 cents each.

http://www.amazon.com/JF-Perkins/e/B005FCZRSS/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_9?qid=1372907792&sr=8-9

It was a little optimistic at times, but what good survival fiction isn't? (NO, I HAVE NOT READ "THE ROAD" AND DON'T INTEND TO!)

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    The Road left me really sad. Patriots, Founders, One second after, lights out are the other ones I've read. I like how descriptive Rawles was in Patriots, though it did drum on a bit. I'm always looking for other titles to read and this thread might help out. A buddy of mine says "The Rangers Apprentice" series is worth a read. I haven't looked in to it yet.

Top Bottom