Who is your Favorite Gun Shop and Why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Competitive with who--the man in the moon, cause the prices are that damn high. They do have great customer service and a great selection

I have come out a ahead on a trade there when I traded a $50 H&R singleshot shotgun and got $100 trade in for it.

I don't mind paying a competitive price for good service and to have a good selection to choose from. But then again, I'm not going to Jim's to buy or trade a H&R single shot shotgun either.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I like James Louque, although tecnically he does not have a walk in shop. Other than that I really like Nick's. Nick and Paul will not steer you in the wrong directions plus they have the onsite 100 yd range and can fix your gun too. They also have competition matches. What they offer fits me fine.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    The internet. :D

I will say the best customer service I've received thus far is from Richie's. Unfortunately I always want **** that no one has, but they have always gone out of their way to help. I did buy one of the Canon safes and couldn't have been happier with the whole process. They also have the best prices, and I'll always check with them first before I ever buy anything from elsewhere.

And if that post don't get me a discount, they can kiss my ass. :o

and BTW RPNG
    LCP 9...??

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Most favorite:Hutchinson's in Pineville, LA and they have a setup at most of the Gun Shows. Hands down the best handgun prices in the state.

Least favorite: Jim's but only because of the obscene prices.
    I love going over to his house at lunch sometimes. You have to make apointment but he does has a huge inventory for such a small shop. My only problem is he likes to talk to me about military stuff... and then I'm late getting back from lunch :)

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I like LA Gun and Reloading Supply, BJ Pawn, Pelican Pawn, and here recently, American Pawn since they gave me a rediculously good deal on my LWRC.

I only spend money at places that know what they have, are polite, and not arrogant, hence why I don't shop at Jim's or Hebert

I'm just baffled at how someone can think Jim's prices are on par with ANYONE. They want more for used HK's than Bass Pro wants for new ones, and they won't deal at all. Their customer base is comprised of mainly ignorant customers that are easy to manipulate.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    To be fair, Jim's sometimes has some good prices on used rifles, shotguns, and pistols.
    As far as trading in a singleshot shotgun, that's the only thing I would bring in to trade at Cabelas or Jim's and could still come out ahead. Bring your $600 H&K pistol in and see if they offer you $200 on a trade in.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    I won't pick a favorite, I like looking at guns so those with a big inventory are the ones I like.
    As a gun collector more than a shooter, I see where Jim's and Hebert's and places like have a place in the market.
    NO shop can survive with large inventories with out the every day novice folks looking to just "buy a gun"

I think we are critical of those guys because we go in KNOWING what we need or want and most times know more about the weapons then the average Joe behind thier counter.

I have gotten great service at both and horrible service at both.
    As for prices, I am in the "stocking, selling it for more than I paid for it business" so I appreciate what it cost to have large inventory and exceptional service. You can either have low price, or great service and large inventory, hard to provide all three and stay in business.

50.00 bucks on a 1000.00 potential purchase is not going to make me buy on the internet over a local shop ever.
    Don't like customers in business that buy on price alone so I will not be a consumer that buys on price alone.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I recently purchased a Wilson 1911 (at Jim's) at a very competitive price. Some of their other prices are up there a little bit.

I do agree that I like to feel good about spending my money at a place that treats you with respect. I do not like rude sales people. Most of the guys I have dealt with there have been helpful.

You can meet rude people where ever you go.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I like LA Gun and Reloading Supply, BJ Pawn, Pelican Pawn, and here recently, American Pawn since they gave me a rediculously good deal on my LWRC.

I only spend money at places that know what they have, are polite, and not arrogant, hence why I don't shop at Jim's or Hebert

I'm just baffled at how someone can think Jim's prices are on par with ANYONE. They want more for used HK's than Bass Pro wants for new ones, and they won't deal at all. Their customer base is comprised of mainly ignorant customers that are easy to manipulate.

I know a guy, that knows a guy, that worked at Jims. Supposedly there are 2 guys in BR that buy from him. One has 90k a month gun budget, and the other has like 40k a month gun budget. IDK who they are or what they do or what they buy. But I was told they are the reason Jim's is still in business. They obviously buy Class III FA type stuff, esp for that kinda money. But yeah, I'd say they float him along

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    As of right now I REALLY like to got to Jim's and Bass Pro/Cabela's...to handle what I'm going to order from BJ Pawn, only used em twice but they're prices seemed to be just a few dollars over internet+transfer fee, and it was here the next afternoon. Academy also seems to have good prices, just no selection.

Last edited:

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I know a guy, that knows a guy, that worked at Jims. Supposedly there are 2 guys in BR that buy from him. One has 90k a month gun budget, and the other has like 40k a month gun budget. IDK who they are or what they do or what they buy. But I was told they are the reason Jim's is still in business. They obviously buy Class III FA type stuff, esp for that kinda money. But yeah, I'd say they float him along

I used to work at Jim's....although it's been about 7 or 8 years ago. He does have several loyal customers who spend a good bit of money with him, but I've never seen anything remotely close to what you posted. Jim sustains his business on much more then just a few customers spending big bucks.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I used to work at Jim's....although it's been about 7 or 8 years ago. He does have several loyal customers who spend a good bit of money with him, but I've never seen anything remotely close to what you posted. Jim sustains his business on much more then just a few customers spending big bucks.

Gotcha.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

Several of their guns I was looking at are competitive with internet pricing.

Ranger57

Rating - 98.1%
    53   1   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    GunSports is great... Dave Sledge is great to deal with and prices are reasonable... Louques is great too. James is professional and will do anything for you...

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    any place I dont have to take a number and their prices arent as high as a giraffe's rear end....Acadiana Outfitters, Lafayette Shooters

Top Bottom