Why Are We Suddenly Getting Hit By So Many Space Rocks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    original

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/18/asteroids_and_meteors_why_are_we_suddenly_seeing_so_many.html

This article pretty well summarizes what we know about the Chelyabinsk meteor and goes into more detail why it would not have been seen in the BR area.

The question of what was reported seen in BR is a good one. It could have been an Iridium satellite, the space station, or an aircraft. I'll call it a UFO until we have a good reason to call it something else.

This article seems to have the diameter and weight down better. I calculated the density using data previously given and came up with numbers less than 1.0g/cm3. 17m and 10,000ton works out to 3.5. Meteor density is given as 2-8g/cm3, depending on the Fe content.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Good article. My first thought when I saw your thread title was "we're no, it's just trendy, in the news"

IIRC it's an average of like, what, 500 meteors that bombard our atmosphere, each day? It's just that none are worth writing home about. Having two noteworthy spacial items is really not that big of a deal, like the article says, it's like flipping 'heads' ten times in a row... statistically unlikely, but not really impossible or that improbable.

We're constantly bombarded with space crap. Most people just never bother to look up away from their TVs, and so they are only just hearing about it...

RedOne451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I saw the "California" meteor the other night while flying into Oakland. Was very bright but nothing compared with the Russian one.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I saw the "California" meteor the other night while flying into Oakland. Was very bright but nothing compared with the Russian one.

When I was with the 2AD at Ft. Hood in the early sixties, I used to go to sleep when out in the field watching meteors.

I only saw a really bright one once in the nineties. It was very brief.

One December night in the middle eighties, I picked up my mother at MSY one night and on the way back to BR, the meteor show was fantastic. This was one of the regular showers. It was really dark over the marshes and thru the swamps. Wish we had kept count. Something I will never forget. These were grains of sand sized ones, tho.

:)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Could be a "meteoric occasion," but most likely global warming. :D

These dummies just won't let that go. Even despite the revelation that their so-called global warming experts conspired to intently and nefariously falsify data to support the cause.

Media tools! It's even more foolish looking when a female news knob is parroting about global warming.

Top Bottom