Why do people find it unnecesary to have two sets of handgun mags ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    First of let me start by saying that we all know that keeping the mags loaded or off-loaded makes no difference what so ever on the life of the mag, it will however make a difference if your life depends on them but that is another subject.

We know have come to an "agreement" that the "shelf" life shortens by the compression and de-compression of the spring underneath the follower. Moving along, we know that cleaning them often internally leads to weakening of the magazine lock or pin, it starts to shave a little more at a time off the lugs that keep it locked as a unit and eventually it will become a B52 (:mamoru:) when you "TAP" to seat the mag and the bullets fall out the bottom (seen it a few times, unless its a "gaming" all metal mag that was designed to be taken apart frequently for cleaning, but lest stick to factory CARRY MAGS). We also know that NO oil is needed (believe it or not people put oil in them).

What I continue to see with students at the range is that they have one set of mags, that means they off-load their carry ammo and then load them back up with training ammo, no biggie that we waste some time. The big issue that I do see is that you continuously put those mags through hell and back during training, they get stepped on, they get muddy, they get rained on, they get dropped on concrete and its very easy to crack the base-plates. Also on some metal mags the lips get to a point that are so loose that they start to feed two a time, seen a 1911 mag do this already. I have seen Duty Glock 9mm mags with lips so wide they could run 40S&W without issues, but at the end they load them AGAIN with carry ammo and go home :eek3:.

Magazines are expendable items, that means they should be replaced and are not part of "inventory". I usually keep my 3 CARRY mags per gun and at least 6 TRAINING mags, they are labeled as such on the side. T I through VI and C I through III, some people use a different color base-plate and simply spray paint works great as well.

I keep my carry mags, the ones that my life depends on in the best shape as possible. They see some use to ensure they work but they dont get abused like red headed step kids.

My training mags get replaced as soon as they start to give any issues, also having a label on each mag allows me to keep track on the one that presented an issue and not mix it with the good ones.

Does anybody else have a magazine OCD like me, or do you guys also find it a proper procedure ?

Josh762

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll leave the OCD diagnosis to others to determine, not being one for name-calling.

Mags are consumables, and 20 per is the right number to consider a man's collection to be an heirloom.

Thankya for the labeling idea. Believe I'll implement something like that.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I run all my mags with with gun regular. Figure they all get the same love but do get replaced if showing signs of wear or damage. I don't understand the 2 mag theory either. Extra mag cost is figured in with cost of gun. I have to have more then 7 and seems that 12 is my good number.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I'll leave the OCD diagnosis to others to determine, not being one for name-calling.

Mags are consumables, and 20 per is the right number to consider a man's collection to be an heirloom.

Thankya for the labeling idea. Believe I'll implement something like that.

20 per handgun or rifle ???????

Imagine HK mags for example at $50-60 each thats $1k just in mags :eek5:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I used to not care and use my carry mags for practice, until I happened along the same thought process. Now my carry mags- 4 per- stay loaded, and my training mags usually stay unloaded in the range bag until I go to the range. I used to label them until I ended up getting a few different-color ones in some trades, making it pointless.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well most HK mags aren't cheap enough for me to justify buying a whole stack of extra ones. Besides that, I like to practice with what I carry and that includes the mags I carry. If I start to see problems which I suspect may be the mag (which happens sometimes) I label it and keep an eye on it but keep using it. I don't see the point in never ever using your carry mags to practice with. How do you know your carry mags are reliable if you don't use them?

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    HK mags can be had for "reasonable" expense. I have 10 for my USP, I think 10 for my P2000SK, and a little over a dozen of those nice 416 mags, and I'm always on the hunt for more. Glock mags can be high depending on where you buy them, cabela's has them around $34, new HK mags from the factory cost less.

I don't understand why people freak out over mags, guns, like cars, cost money to run. Mags are just like tires, they wear out, they need to be rotated, and replaced. Nobody likes buying them, but everyone needs them.

I have to unload "carry mags" at the range only because I have 1 in the gun, my carry spare and 2 extras in my console at all times, plus the spares stay loaded with carry ammo, in my range bag, just in case.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NO oil is needed where? In the magazine? Does it harm the bullets or the mag?

Oil and dirt/sand tend to not mix well, makes a very nasty "paste" for lack of a better word. Followers tend to have a field day with this paste.

Now if you only use them at an indoor range with a controlled environment and NEVER put them out into the world then all you have to worry about is whatever un-burnt powder that might be left in the gun

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Buy as many mags as you can. Label them all. Shoot them all as often as possible. When they start to break or wear out replace them. Having training mags and carry mags is dumb. Mag springs should be dry lubed. The 416 mags aren't. They are SA80 mags.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I keep at least 10 mags per pistol, many are interchangeable. I don't do that with compact guns that take full size mags. I will keep 3-4 compact mags, and just use full size mags to fill in as spares.

Top Bottom