...why I bought my wife a gun.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justboozer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Having spent 17+ years in martial arts, for years, I figured I could teach my wife anything she needed to know about self defense. Now that I'm older, I think that my initial assessment of how to handle any self-defense situation without knowledge of gun use is very short-sighted. My wife and I spent our first five years of marriage in Houston, TX, specifically, the relatively lavish and low-crime area of League City/Clear Lake. I was teaching karate in the city and she was working in housekeeping in the local area. All of the necessities of live were in arm's reach, and we had two very large and intimidating dogs that lived in the house with us and our two children.

Granted, I had attempted, on numerous occasions, to get my wife into my martial arts classes. Every try to teach a spouse how to fight? It ain't happenin'. Her calling me "sir" in class didn't go over too well either.....

Anyway, our lives changed drastically (different story) and we wound up back in Baton Rouge as of last June (I'm from here, anyway....my wife is from Scott). Fortunately, we were both blessed with good jobs soon after we returned home. Now, I work in North Baton Rouge off of Plank (yes, I keep my Taurus with me...ha, ha), and my wife works at a local grocery store. Recently, she was promoted into management (and yes, I'm bragging about here), which, of course, gives her more access to money in the store. She's also now being asked to sometimes travel to other stores between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. I started reading the writing on the wall. Now my wife does also carry other "basic" self defense weapons like a punch-knife on her heychain and a small bottle of pepper spray (which is tested regularly); but when she was asked to travel a bit, I sat her down and asked her to consider gun owenrship for self-defense. Fortunately, she embraced the idea.

Was that idea based on my own paranoia? No. I think it's based on my experience. Any good martial arts instructor worth his or her salt knows the weapons of the time. My wife may never express enough interest in hand to hand combat to train as extensively as I have; but she needs something that can stop someone, and not just **** them off. My wife and I came home to a very different Baton Rouge, with a much higher crime rate. The fact that she now owns, practices, and is going for her CCL makes me (and her) feel much, much safer. In a self defense situation, my gun is a last resort. I bought her one to make sure that in her line of work, she has a better chance of coming home to her family should anything bad happen.

My kids will learn next. Chalk us up as another proud, American, God-fearing, gun-owning family.

Boozer

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    Well said justboozer. And yep..it's a very different BR than it was a few years ago. I worked in the Airline/Evangeline/Prescott area for a bit, we had a satellite office there. And I was always armed. Too many times I heard the sirens around the area, and saw streets I drove on the subject of the nightly news report. Or was nearly run off the road by the police responding to the latest call while I was trying to get to the interstate to go home.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    You wanted to shoot that pink lady smith, huh?:). Joking aside, I would feel more comfortable if my girlfriend embraced learning to shoot defensively. It's a bad idea in my book for an untrained person to handle a firearm in a high stress situation.

hickman

hiding in the piney woods
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Alexandria, LA
    My wife decided that she would be willing to carry a pistol for self defense for her and my daughters, if I will send her through a concealed carry permit. This makes me happy, now to find a good CCW instructor around Alexandria.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You guys are making a smart choice. Now you need to get your wives in a real class. The CCW curriculum is woefully lacking when it comes to having to use a gun to defend yourself.

AnnieOakleaf

LA CHP Instructor #725
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Elmwood, LA
    I was at an ATM when an animal came up from under the rear of my car and put a knife in the window to my throat. Long story short, I was kidnapped and raped. It took 16 years to catch him, but he is now in Angola serving 6 life terms. I now teach Concealed Carry Classes, because I never want anyone else to go through what I did. I work with a lot of women, because we approach firearms differently. The reason we carry, how we carry, and even how we talk about guns and safety is very different from guys. I love taking women from being hands off to giggling as they shoot, because they find the fun in shooting.:bravo:

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    There's a new book coming out about concealed carry for women. I wrote the forward for it yesterday, and it's really good. Not sure when it will be released, but I'll post the info here when I find out.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I grew up in Old Metairie. Literally a bunch of old people and young families.

I bought my first firearm after moving to Baton Rouge. Very rarely does it leave my side.

At least she embraced the idea. What type of gun did you get for her?

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I think gun is necessary for the protection because now the crime rate are increasing even you have security cameras and other security system that helping reducing the crime.But still over government ban the gun.What you say about that?

What?

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    good deal, my wife is a marine off active duty back in 95. she don't even cut the grass with out her pps 40 with her. she is also one of the RO out at range.

Top Bottom