Why I love S&Ws...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    It starts out in Roosevelt, Utah (near Salt Lake City) in 1971-72. My father was working as a roughneck in the oil field around the age of 20 when he met a bounty hunter from the area. My father became a welder working in Louisiana shortly after his stint in Utah, so he still talks about those days as the coldest ones he has ever seen. Anyway, the bounty hunter was trying to "upgrade" his old S&W, so my father bought it for $75 (possibly $95). The bounty hunter told him that it was a five screw, but he didn't know exactly what that meant. After the transaction, the K-38 sat quietly for years in its leather Hunter holster wearing Herrett’s target grips and a trigger shoe. It saw many trucks, drawers, and safes, but it was shot less than 100 in the presence of its newest owner. Fast forward to 2006...I had seen my father's K-38 many times growing up, so I thought it would make for good conversation. I asked him about his gun, and he told me what he could remember. He didn't seem attached, so I asked him if I could buy it. I was hoping to get it before my older brother thought about it. I ended up buying it for $300. After I could inspect it further, I sent off for a letter, which came back 1/25/1954 to Strevells - Peterson Hardware Co. in Salt Lake City, Utah. I also decided the 95% finish needed touching up to bring it back to its original glory, so I sent it to Ford's. They did a fantastic job. For Christmas I gave it back to my father with the addition of period correct non-relieved target grips. He couldn't stop smiling. It now sits safely in his safe waiting for the day it will be passed back to me when his journey is complete.

DSC00026.jpg

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    Actually, they are period correct Walnut Non-Relieved Diamond Target grips, but who is counting? ;)

Here is a view of the other side. Note the lack of a speedloader cutout.

DSC00020.jpg

Last edited:

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    FWIW, those goncalo alves target stocks are, I believe, incorrect for that time frame.

1. They are walnut.
    2. The diamond was eliminated in 1967-68.
    3. The speedloader "relief" showed up mid to late 1950's.
    4. The steel medallions showed up around 1952

All facts make these period correct.

AFAIK, all K-38s came with the Magna service stocks.

Magna grips were standard. Target grips were optional.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom