Why not a shotgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Where did you get that information? I have several friends (former colleagues) who were in that program, and the ONLY authorized weapon was the issue P229 in .357 SIG caliber.

They could not even carry a back-up gun, much less have a choice about what to carry for a primary.

If you're thinking about the FFDO (armed pilot) deal, they must use the issue HK USP Compact in .40 S&W. Got a couple of pals still active in that program.

I'm not "calling you out"; just curious. My information IS a bit dated, and they might have changed the rules... but somehow, I just cannot see the feds authorizing a Ruger P-series...:dunno:

No prob, LSP.....I got it from their website. I'm om my iPhone right now....I'll be home in a few and get you the link.....
    -Sam
    (BTW- I know what you mean about the .357 Sig, cause I was told the same thing.....)

Longshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Welcome to the forum Longshot.

My point was ANY projectile fired from a weapon with sufficient force to penetrate the bad guy to a depth necessary to kill or incompacitate will penetrate walls with sufficient force remaining to injure or kill someone on the other side. It cannot be avoided. The only way reduce this risk is to think about what's behind your target before firing. That's it. Raw emotion about how I would feel is immaterial to the subject. Gun writers as usual got us worried about gremlins we can't control. Instead of the dog we can control.

Dave

Thanks, glad to be here!

Ha, it seems we pretty much agree on every point then. I guess I should clarify that part of the "good judgment" comment means ensuring a hit on target, and another part is knowing what lies beyond it in the event of over-penetration (of the bad guy). Like we said, putting holes in sheet rock isn't good for anyone ('cept maybe the bad guy).

Anyway, you're right; the bullet doesn't care how I feel. :)

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Clint Smith said recently that the shotgun is the only small arm that will remove body parts at close range. It has it's place. Me, the FAL is on the front line, with a shorty 12 in the case next to it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Where did you get that information? I have several friends (former colleagues) who were in that program, and the ONLY authorized weapon was the issue P229 in .357 SIG caliber.

They could not even carry a back-up gun, much less have a choice about what to carry for a primary.

If you're thinking about the FFDO (armed pilot) deal, they must use the issue HK USP Compact in .40 S&W. Got a couple of pals still active in that program.

I'm not "calling you out"; just curious. My information IS a bit dated, and they might have changed the rules... but somehow, I just cannot see the feds authorizing a Ruger P-series...:dunno:

LSP, in the end your info may be correct-well, sort of....These weapons & ammo are on the ASO (Armed Service Officer) approved list, but it doesn't really say that any of them are ISSUED. Like you, I heard it was the Sig 228 in .357 Sig....Then, I heard the some in the Air Marshal Service were griping about that round being too powerful. Now I'm confused! Anyway, here's a couple of links. Tell me what you think (I have to leave & won't be back on til the AM)...
    Thanks & G'night,
    -Sam

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/aso_faq.shtm

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2006/jun/13/20060613-123248-2105r/

Longshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You do realize that pistol calibers will generally penetrate on average 3x as much as a 223?

Can you post any links that show this? It's not that I don't believe you. I have a couple .223s, and I know it doesn't take much to fragment those little buggers. You've got my gears turning, and now I'm in the mood to read.

I found this link earlier this morning. They did some penetration testing with various 5.56 cartridges out of various length barrels. I doubt a high-velocity hollowpoint would exit a home intruder. I'm still looking for more info on shotgun loads, though.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:BnzKcJ7-foEJ:www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html%3Fb%3D3%26f%3D118%26t%3D169328+ar15+vs+handgun,+penetration&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    Knowing I'm going to have to face a jury (or at least a grand jury) after the encounter I'd rather be armed with a handgun or a shotgun than an AR or AK.
    While I wouldn't choose it over the shotgun I have to back up Jim's statement on the .22. No recoil, decent mag capacity, accurate enough for head/ face shots. I've heard stories of some of these punks wearing body armor. I wouldn't feel unarmed with a .22, especially not if loaded with stingers.

On the length, I bet there's not much difference between an extended handgun and a short barreled shotgun. Its also easier to hang onto a shotgun. Plus I would have holstered a pistol if I went looking for an intruder along with the shotgun. If I was clearing with a pistol then I'm now fighting for control of the only weapon. Something about 2 is 1, 1 is none?

Also, how about hearing protection. That is a plus for the .22... Think about shooting a firearm indoors with no protection. How about a 12 ga? Ouch!

i thought about a .22 RIFLE many times for defense. the only problem i see is reliability. the 10/22 and semi marlin i had where not reliable. lots of malfunctions. i have a henry lever in .22 but it will fail to feed every 300 or so rounds. not bad but im still worried about that.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Shotguns are awesome!!! If you missed this episode of Lock 'N Load with The Gunny, you need to look for the replay- great hi-speed cam footage! If I could have only one gun, it would be the AA-12!!!! Awesome doesn't do it justice.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T0VFUNjw4
    I watched that episode and thought it was Awesome.

Birdshot
    22868580.gif

00 Buckshot
    45841605.gif

Slug
    48262660.gif

:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member