Why resist arrest if you've "done nothing wrong"?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Those officers have far more patience and lack of concern for personal space than I do. js

Sneaking up on me is bad for your health. Continuing after I tell you to stop is worse.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Those officers have far more patience and lack of concern for personal space than I do. js

I agree, it bugged me how the crowd was reacting and the officers seemed to feel like it was a normal day at the office. I guess this is how dealing with the public is nowadays?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    But its not total bs its only partially. Yes you can make sounds in some cases but not always. Oh and screaming like a little punk aing happening.
    There was time when I was in really good shape. I could hold my breath under water for a while. I mean a while... freakishly long time. When you have been under water too long your body begins to try to force you to enhale if you dont learn to control it you could suck in water more or less drowning yourself. Trying to talk while your body is forcing you to enhale is not likely.

Also as a baseball player in high school I made the mistake of steping into the firstbase line to catch an over thrown play and the other schools star running back plowed me all 265 pounds of him. He ran a 4:40. I stood 6'5" at 170lbs. It knocked me out for a second or two and when I tried to talk I could form words but I didn't have the breath to speak.

As I age I am developing asthma for now it seems to be excercised enduced only, and when my chest tightens up i can speak but yelling and scream aint happening.

Now I'm no expert but its obviously founded in some form of truth.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Breathing is a two way street, your body responds to high CO2 as a stimulant for breathing (not low oxygen). If you can inhale and exhale and still exchange gases, then you can still use your vocal cords to create words. As for your underwater reference, you cannot inhale if your lungs are at maximum inspiratory capacity so you must first exhale before you get the reflex to inhale that you referred to. Getting the wind knocked out of you is also a incorrect comparison to this situation. When you get the wind knocked out of you from being struck in the abdomen/thorax it is caused by a spasm of the diaphragm which effectively prevents you from breathing in or out, which is required for vocalization. There are many ways to restrict breathing, the kind we are talking about does allow vocalization even in the face of suffocation (losing enough gas exchange to lose consciousness or die). If someone was strangling an individual with a headlock or with their hands, then they would be less likely to be able to vocalize due to obstruction of the airway, which is different from restriction of the lungs/chest.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    But its not total bs its only partially. Yes you can make sounds in some cases but not always. Oh and screaming like a little punk aing happening.
    There was time when I was in really good shape. I could hold my breath under water for a while. I mean a while... freakishly long time. When you have been under water too long your body begins to try to force you to enhale if you dont learn to control it you could suck in water more or less drowning yourself. Trying to talk while your body is forcing you to enhale is not likely.

Also as a baseball player in high school I made the mistake of steping into the firstbase line to catch an over thrown play and the other schools star running back plowed me all 265 pounds of him. He ran a 4:40. I stood 6'5" at 170lbs. It knocked me out for a second or two and when I tried to talk I could form words but I didn't have the breath to speak.

As I age I am developing asthma for now it seems to be excercised enduced only, and when my chest tightens up i can speak but yelling and scream aint happening.

Now I'm no expert but its obviously founded in some form of truth.

Yes it's true that you can be prevented from breathing to a point where you can't speak. No one is arguing that.
    Yes it's true that some people will lie and say they can't breathe when they actually can. I'm sure cops see this all the time. It's probably right up there with " You're breaking my arm!" and "I didn't do anything!" and "I thought this was my friends car/bike/stereo!" (that one's my fav).
    But it's also true that sometimes your breathing can be restricted (enough to kill you) while still allowing you to speak.
    The point is, a person's ability to say "I can't breathe" is a not a real test for whether or not they can breathe.

Now back to the OP, yeah those people were way up in the cops' business. Lucky they didn't get hurt. The title of the video is a stretch. He was not 'beaten' by the cops at all from what I saw. It does suck that he was arrested for a grinder (or any crime relating to marijuana) but when you struggle with the police you get what you get. Always comply with the police, no matter who is right or wrong.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Why resist arrest if you've "done nothing wrong"?

Was this meant to be a question posed specifically to the case involved in the video or an open-ended philosophical/strategic question?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Was this meant to be a question posed specifically to the case involved in the video or an open-ended philosophical/strategic question?

I think it was a general observation, if you indeed did "nothing wrong" then you should just comply and take them to court after the fact. You never resist arrest, regardless if you haven't broken any laws. Better to fight in court, because if you fight/resist the officer you have then broken the law and will lose credibility in court.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I think it was a general observation, if you indeed did "nothing wrong" then you should just comply and take them to court after the fact. You never resist arrest, regardless if you haven't broken any laws. Better to fight in court, because if you fight/resist the officer you have then broken the law and will lose credibility in court.

I think there are a few layers to this question - Strategic and Moral...and for clarities sake, when I use the term "unlawful arrest", I'm doing so under the assumption that the person being arrested truly did nothing wrong and therefore the arrest is unlawful/unwarranted.

On the strategic level, it's probably best to fight it in court b/c if you resist an unlawful arrest you'll at minimum get beat up and at worst killed.

On the moral level, it's hard to comply with an unlawful arrest b/c of the injustice involved.

There's also the consideration that something underhanded/corrupt might be taking place (like the Washington parish case recently) and in some cases even if you do comply you still get convicted due to the corruption involved.

All things considered though, for immediate health risk reasons, complying is best.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think he slept at a holiday inn. I would like to see someone repeatedly talk while they were not getting air in and out of their lungs.

It's called pot talking! Like when a pot smoker from back in the day, would take a hit of the joint or the pipe, hold it in, and squeeze out words, like; "Here man! Take a hit!" Or "This is good ****!" without actually letting air out. Back in what they call; "the day" you had to hold that **** Mexican weed in for a long time to catch a buzz. :D

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think there are a few layers to this question - Strategic and Moral...and for clarities sake, when I use the term "unlawful arrest", I'm doing so under the assumption that the person being arrested truly did nothing wrong and therefore the arrest is unlawful/unwarranted.

On the strategic level, it's probably best to fight it in court b/c if you resist an unlawful arrest you'll at minimum get beat up and at worst killed.

On the moral level, it's hard to comply with an unlawful arrest b/c of the injustice involved.

There's also the consideration that something underhanded/corrupt might be taking place (like the Washington parish case recently) and in some cases even if you do comply you still get convicted due to the corruption involved.

All things considered though, for immediate health risk reasons, complying is best.

I agree with all of this. But I am just getting tired of the whining and the phony ******** that is coming out of these precincts. Policing idiots the way the police need to is okay by almost everyone when they are a clear and present danger to those at that point in time; but let a f**king high school thug be witnessed by a teacher selling crack and when the cops show up and he has gotten rid of the evidence they get castigated for even talking to him sternly by these phony justice morons.

The glaring question I would have is; do we want to err on the side of the cops doing it right; or just assume that all potential criminal interactions are illegal?

In a perverse sort of way, I almost want to see what happens when more cops just say "f**k it!", a la NY city; and let these morons go unchecked all across the board. I'll take bets on which side will be the first to cry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom