Will retrieve for knowledge! WILL TRAVEL!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Well, I'm not sure how to do it exactly. What happened was I got stationed in LA while my FL driver's license was still valid. So I just took my orders in to get a LA ID card. For proof of residency that's all you need for hunting/fishing licenses... so in that respect, I have residency in both states.

Suggest you go to LDWF website and look at Residency requirements. Also if you obtain a resident hunting license in any other state you cannot possess a resident La. license.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Suggest you go to LDWF website and look at Residency requirements. Also if you obtain a resident hunting license in any other state you cannot possess a resident La. license.

I have a resident basic hunting with the duck endorsement right now. Nothing from Florida.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Have you decided which program you'll be following?

I'd also like to give a little 'heads up' on training, so you can come back and read this when these days happen to you......and they WILL happen.

My pups been on FF for about 3 weeks. He's got 'Hold' solid, 'Walking Fetch' and 'Stick Fetch' are good. He's even working on a pile right in front of him.

So things are going good. Then a few days ago I noticed after about 5-8 minutes of Force, he'd start to buck on me. When I'd reach down for his ear, he'd attempt to put his mouth over my hand. Now of course he wasn't trying to bite me, he could have easily done that. Anyway, after a little resistance I'd apply pressure and would have to forcibly drive him to the ground to pick up the bumper. After that, he'd do fine for about 5 more reps and then we'd be done.
    Yesterday Morning, things were going good again then he started resisting. Now being that I'm a research fanatic, I know what's going on. It's taken about 2 weeks to finally get to the point where pup is no longer fetching to please me. He's now understanding that it's not about just fetching when he wants to, it's about fetching every time 'I' want him to, no matter what he wants to do, or whether or not he feels like it.
    This is the 'milestone' in FF Training. It's like crossing the midway point. It's when the light goes 'DING' and comes on.
    So Last night it was tough, real tough. I had to force him down 3 separate times. I made a judgment call to push on forward instead of just put him up. GLAD I DID! After 20 minutes we got three consecutive retrieves off the ground and I gladly through him a breaking mark and put him up.

So afterwards I went inside and started going back over my FF notes and DVD's. I was trying to recall everything I had read and heard before. I looked back over old PM's on RTF etc.

I woke up this morning, aired him out and grabbed my gear. Thru him a breaking mark slipped the choke chain on him and began. Swoof he picked the first one off the ground quick. Real quick, then another one, and again and again. Pup was moving fast, jumping back to heel and sitting in a very quick manner. So I upped the pressure and started alternating pressure levels on his ear. After the second heavy pressure he went to buck a little and then instead of doing the usual where he tried to mouth me are lay back.... he just went for the bumper. Man did I pour on the PRAISE!!! He could tell too that he had just did something really good. I did three more consecutive FF retrieves and called it quits. He was in good spirits and I was happy.

Now I know some of this is foreign language right now, but once you start watching the programs and learning the lingo and come back and read that post, it will make sense. The point is this. PATIENCE! Never make a big deal out of a bad day. The trainer always harps on the bad way more than the dog does. Dogs don't harbor resentment.

So in those times when you're feeling like "man, this dogs not getting it", or "man this might not work", or "what in the world am I doing?" What is HE doing!? ... just stick with it! Stay the course, contact local trainers, seek HELP and most likely the following training session, your pup will surprise you.

At least that's how it's worked for me. These dogs are smart, way smarter than we give them credit for. They can think for themselves too and they are animals. So everything they do is for a specific reason. Work to know your dog well enough to know why he did or is doing that specific thing so you can aid him in doing what YOU want him to do. Every trainer has 'THOSE' days. So you won't be alone. Some days, you have to just feed them, and put them up. Some days you just let them run around and act stupid with the kids.

Anyway just thought I drop a line that we'll most likely come back to for different reasons.

So about those training programs???

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thanks for the heads up on that one. I tell myself I'm going to be patient and take it slow, but I'm sure I'll have times of frustration too.

I've got the Hillmann Retriever Puppy DvD. So that'll get me to 14 weeks or so, right?

After that, I'm hoping to be able to find a fairly priced Mike Lardy program on RTF.

Which ones are you using?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've got the Hillmann Retriever Puppy DvD. So that'll get me to 14 weeks or so, right?

After that, I'm hoping to be able to find a fairly priced Mike Lardy program on RTF.

Which ones are you using?

With Hillmann pup you start when pup is 11-13 weeks old(or any time for that matter) just NOT under 11 weeks. If you start at 11 weeks old, he'll be 22 weeks when your done.

I went Hillmann Pup > Farmer Aycock Basics.

But that's just normal training stuff. I've done quite a bit of non-written down socialization stuff too.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    With Hillmann pup you start when pup is 11-13 weeks old(or any time for that matter) just NOT under 11 weeks. If you start at 11 weeks old, he'll be 22 weeks when your done.

I went Hillmann Pup > Farmer Aycock Basics.

But that's just normal training stuff. I've done quite a bit of non-written down socialization stuff too.

Alright. I'll be picking him up at 8 weeks. So just let him be a puppy and socialize with the family for a few weeks before training? He's definitely going to be a "pet." I wouldn't say being a bird dog is secondary, but he will be expected to do both.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I'm using the Hillman program now and will transition over to Lardy. Out of every dog I've had or trained, the bond between me and the dog are what gets us through the tough times. No matter what, I make it a point to always end on a good note and letting him know hes my buddy before all else. If you build a strong trusting bond with the pup, slowly but consistently instill obedience while keeping his retieving and training fun, you and the dog will be just fine. More importantly, you'll have a new member of the family that will listen to you better than the wife and kids. Just have fun with it all.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm using the Hillman program now and will transition over to Lardy. Out of every dog I've had or trained, the bond between me and the dog are what gets us through the tough times. No matter what, I make it a point to always end on a good not and letting him know hes my buddy before all else. If you build a strong trusting bond with the pup, slowly but consistently instill obedience while keeping his retieving and training fun, you and the dog will be just fine. More importantly, you'll have a new member of the family that will listen to you better than the wife and kids. Just have fun with it all.

I intend to. Also, my 1 year old loves the duck calls you sent me, lol.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Alright. I'll be picking him up at 8 weeks. So just let him be a puppy and socialize with the family for a few weeks before training? He's definitely going to be a "pet." I wouldn't say being a bird dog is secondary, but he will be expected to do both.

Oh yea that's right! I was supposed to send you that Puppy DvD.

No there's much that you can do before the 11 week mark.
    Little things, like crate training!
    Steadiness before eating.
    You should get some wings too from Teal Season.
    Also go ahead and order you a Kong Air Stick off Amazon. I can find the link if you need it's the exact thing Bill Hillmann uses in the video when Nick is very young.
    You need to go ahead also and prepare to hold some pigeons. As in a Cage, and some feed. They don't need a 5 Star hotel, just a cage big enough to walk around in and stretch their legs some. Needs to be a fence like bottom so they don't walk around in their poop either. Might start with two pigeons first.
    The list goes on ..... the DVD will help too. I'll try and send it tomorrow.

I can send you a predator call that is very annoying. lol

You should so do it! lol

How's that pup coming along? Decided to hang on to him yet or what?

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA

Hes coming along good. He had a few bad habits from just being a pet with no discipline for the first 5 months of his life. But he has the smarts to learn. Hes came a long ways since I got him. Haven't decided whether I'll keep him long term or not. I'll finish his training and see from there. How did the pigeon training go ? Need some more yet ?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Oh yea that's right! I was supposed to send you that Puppy DvD.

No there's much that you can do before the 11 week mark.
    Little things, like crate training!
    Steadiness before eating.
    You should get some wings too from Teal Season.
    Also go ahead and order you a Kong Air Stick off Amazon. I can find the link if you need it's the exact thing Bill Hillmann uses in the video when Nick is very young.
    You need to go ahead also and prepare to hold some pigeons. As in a Cage, and some feed. They don't need a 5 Star hotel, just a cage big enough to walk around in and stretch their legs some. Needs to be a fence like bottom so they don't walk around in their poop either. Might start with two pigeons first.
    The list goes on ..... the DVD will help too. I'll try and send it tomorrow.

You should so do it! lol

I should probably trap a couple pigeons that eat out of the feeder in my backyard. They're too fat anyways. Should the cage be outside or is the garage OK? I would just imagine the garage gets too hot.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    How did the pigeon training go ? Need some more yet ?

Well I killed one, the female died, and the ants got the last one :doh:

I've got a remedy to fix all that next time around. I'm good for now. I want to finish FF and then I'll put him back on birds.

I should probably trap a couple pigeons that eat out of the feeder in my backyard. They're too fat anyways. Should the cage be outside or is the garage OK? I would just imagine the garage gets too hot.

They can survive outside in the shade. They drink LOTS of water so keep it fresh. They can eat birdseed too or any form of corn/meal farm mix. Just be sure to have them a grated floor somehow so they don't walk around in their poop.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom