will there ever be .22 again?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    300 rounds for 19.99? I hope they send flowers and tell you what a great time they had

Walmart and Academy - price is almost exactly half of that, and both had more .22 than I was willing to buy.

Where are you located ?
    I'm still not seeing much .22 - how much were you willing to buy ?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Where are you located ?
    I'm still not seeing much .22 - how much were you willing to buy ?

I bought 5 packs of winchester 333 round boxes. total was a little over 60 bucks with tax.

I picked them up as stocking stuffers/ small christmas gifts. I don't dip into my own storage :)

edit: woops. Academy on ambassador and Walmart had to either be crowley or jennings, I was on my way back from lake charles so it was definitely one of those two right off the interstate.

Last edited:

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I bought 5 packs of winchester 333 round boxes. total was a little over 60 bucks with tax.

I picked them up as stocking stuffers/ small christmas gifts. I don't dip into my own storage :)

edit: woops. Academy on ambassador and Walmart had to either be crowley or jennings, I was on my way back from lake charles so it was definitely one of those two right off the interstate.

Thanks for the info. Last I saw, Slidell area still dry. Will run to Walley World today to see if things have changed.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I guess I just live around a bunch of a-holes. I haven't seen a brick on a shelf in over a year of looking.

I have only seen .22 ammunition once since 2012 in my local Wal Mart. I only saw it that day because they got a shipment of more than Two Hundred 100 rounds boxes of CCI and it all sold quickly to the people lined up with their friends/relatives and many had advance knowledge of the delivery.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I have only seen .22 ammunition once since 2012 in my local Wal Mart. I only saw it that day because they got a shipment of more than Two Hundred 100 rounds boxes of CCI and it all sold quickly to the people lined up with their friends/relatives and many had advance knowledge of the delivery.

I got 2 boxes of Federal .22 at Academy in Slidell about 2-3 months ago. They keep it at the front checkout/courtesy counter. Limit 2 boxes. I think it was $ 5.50 per box. When I got home, i noticed there were 40 rounds per box. Never seen that before. Thought I was getting a decent deal until I did the math - almost 15 cents per round. Hope the hoarders run out of money soon.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    as an inside source I can confirm that walmart is going nuts over .22 as a thanksgiving special. It's one of those "lets get people in the door" gimmicks. You'll see it advertised soon.

Dunno if its worth it for you guys to fight THAT circus, but I guarantee every store will have piles.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    300 rounds for 19.99? I hope they send flowers and tell you what a great time they had

Walmart and Academy - price is almost exactly half of that, and both had more .22 than I was willing to buy.

Don't have the time to constantly peruse the interweb or frequent Walmart or academy daily. Consider your self lucky. The rest of us get it as we can. That price was slightly higher than normal in store price, delivered.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Don't have the time to constantly peruse the interweb or frequent Walmart or academy daily. Consider your self lucky. The rest of us get it as we can. That price was slightly higher than normal in store price, delivered.

I never go out looking to specifically buy ammo, ever. I've got plenty at home, more than I could use in a year if I shot daily. I just buy when I see a good deal.

Double isn't a good deal. Our opinions and budgets may differ- but 5-6 cents a round is my absolute limit. 4 or 5 cents is "buying price" and anything under that is a deal worth tackling. I happened to find what I considered a deal, so I tackled.

1/3 of this forum is whining about .22 availability and price gouging. As long as people keep paying 15-20 cents a round for .22, thats the price it'll stay at. Paying 15 cents doesn't make it a good deal cause bubba paid 20. If you pay 15 cents out of convenience, more power to ya. I'd rather stock up on more cost effective ammo at that price - YMMV.

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I've got enough, I rarely shoot .22. I really just want more in case it gets like this again. My daughter will be old enough to shoot in a year or two, I'd like to not run out and not be able to find any. I haven't and will not pay more than 6 cents for plinking ammo. I paid about 8 cents for some Mini Mags recently for a pistol, not sure how they're normally priced, but I definitely won't pay that for bulk ammo.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I never go out looking to specifically buy ammo, ever. I've got plenty at home, more than I could use in a year if I shot daily. I just buy when I see a good deal.

Double isn't a good deal. Our opinions and budgets may differ- but 5-6 cents a round is my absolute limit. 4 or 5 cents is "buying price" and anything under that is a deal worth tackling. I happened to find what I considered a deal, so I tackled.

1/3 of this forum is whining about .22 availability and price gouging. As long as people keep paying 15-20 cents a round for .22, thats the price it'll stay at. Paying 15 cents doesn't make it a good deal cause bubba paid 20. If you pay 15 cents out of convenience, more power to ya. I'd rather stock up on more cost effective ammo at that price - YMMV.

You're right. My average cost of the .22 i currently have is around 4 cents.
    I have a few backorders that will cost me around 6 cents.
    Won't buy expensive .22
    Seems like 10 cents is the "average" price per round now, but think prices should drop sometime in the future.
    If you shoot once per year, any price per round won't kill you.
    I usually shoot every week and have dropped my rounds fired in half per outing to 100 since the Sandy Hook thing.

I think the 3-4 cent ammo is gone forever.
    I think the new "norm" when things settle down will be 5-7 cents/round.
    Still a lot cheaper than centerfire ammo.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I've seen a couple of Walmarts in Alabama that are doing single day ammo distribution. As in signs that say "we hold all our ammo shipments for the week and only distribute them on Saturdays at 9am". If they actually stick to it and employees aren't holding back or slipping stuff to their buddies it seems like an excellent way to handle the shortage. Take a number and get in line, like bacon rations during the war.

I've been hitting up a bunch of walmarts and sporting goods shops on the road, I found 3 boxes of remington yellow jackets somewhere in Mississippi. Not what I shoot so I left them there, but in about a dozen stops on the past three or four days and 1500 miles that's it. Bass Pro Shops in Bristol TN had the usual story about the same group of a half dozen guys, friends and family who showed up every day at opening to stock the local pawn shops, flea markets and FFLs with $1/round ammo.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Just wanted to show this off. Shot this wax block. The muzzle of my 10/22 was about an inch away from it.

Barrel is 18.5" long. Was firing a Aguila Colibri Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain Solid Point
    It was pretty darn quiet that's for sure but not much penetration seeing this is just wax....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417404568.767833.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417404580.431585.jpg

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Just wanted to show this off. Shot this wax block. The muzzle of my 10/22 was about an inch away from it.

Barrel is 18.5" long. Was firing a Aguila Colibri Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain Solid Point
    It was pretty darn quiet that's for sure but not much penetration seeing this is just wax....

View attachment 54135
    View attachment 54136

I thought that stuff was for handguns only since it's a powered by primer only. I'd worry about it getting lodged in a rifle-length barrel, but apparently it's not an issue.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Just want to resurrect a thread from 3+ years ago when you couldn't find 22LR......well now it is plentiful again so now is the time to stock up so you don't get caught with your pants down in case it happens again in the future!

Top Bottom