Winchester SX3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Anyone else have problems with the barrel exploding?

I bought my oldest son a 870 youth model for Christmas last year. And got myself a SX3. I love the way it fit. It fits me almost as well as a few upper line O/U's.

The first hunt after Christmas, we had a couple of Mallards swing wide, and land by a bank. I shot over them once to try and get them to fly or swim closer to us. On the first shot, they jumped off the bank, but stayed in the little cove where they landed. The second shot (6th shot for this gun!!) this happened

DSC00777.jpg

The gun was shipped back on December 29th 2007. I got a call the first part of September this year from the dealer I bought the gun at, and was told, the gun had kind of been forgoten about and was apoligized to. (no problem, Winchester was charging me $450 to replace the barrel because it was caused by an obstructed barrel) (a wad got stuck at the back of the choke tube the shot before). Well, the dealer said he called Browning and said it was completely unacceptable to take that long to replace a barrel, and sold me a brand new one for $450.

Just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this. I love the gun, and shoot very well with it (well way better than any other shotgun I own, or have in the past lol) but Browning/Winchester customer service sucks!!

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    back around '91 or so, a couple of us went with my brother to shoot his brand spanking new 11-87 premier. after about a half a box of shells, the barrel did the same thing as what you have pictured, except blew the screw in choke tube out the front as well. Sent it back to Remington, and they sent him a whole new gun, and some other goodies, such as extra choke tubes, a Hat and some other stuff I dont recall. IIRC, their explanation was something wrong with the threads for the choke tube, or the inner diameter or something, allowing the shot to hit the bottom edge of the choke tube.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I call BS on a shot wad causing that. I've seen 870s shoot with mud dripping from the barrel.

So whats your opinion? Judging by the small piece of plactic wad that was stuck in the split right at the base of the choke tube, I believe it. I think its BS. Ive shot my benelli SBE with way worse, just get covered in mud.

My 870 is a trooper as well. I have noticed that on the SX3, the barrel seems to be way thinner than on the SX2, and many other shotguns Ive shot. Maybe thats where the weight savings come from. Im not real sure.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I call BS on a shot wad causing that. I've seen 870s shoot with mud dripping from the barrel.

Theoretically, A shot-cup from a steel shot "squib" load could cause that to happen, however an underpowered load that doesnt push the shot-cup out of the barrel probably would not cycle the action of a semi-auto, and a bell should go off in the shooters head before manually working the action and trying to shoot again. I have seen a shot-cup get stuck in a Browning Auto-5 barrel, while duck hunting, that was so tight it took many, many whacks with a cleaning rod and hammer to get it out.

I also would not be hunting/shooting with people who shoot a shotgun with mud dripping from the barrel either, as that is a hospital trip waiting to happen.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I have noticed that on the SX3, the barrel seems to be way thinner than on the SX2, and many other shotguns Ive shot. Maybe thats where the weight savings come from. Im not real sure.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Theoretically, A shot-cup from a steel shot "squib" load could cause that to happen, however an underpowered load that doesnt push the shot-cup out of the barrel probably would not cycle the action of a semi-auto, and a bell should go off in the shooters head before manually working the action and trying to shoot again. I have seen a shot-cup get stuck in a Browning Auto-5 barrel, while duck hunting, that was so tight it took many, many whacks with a cleaning rod and hammer to get it out.

I also would not be hunting/shooting with people who shoot a shotgun with mud dripping from the barrel either, as that is a hospital trip waiting to happen.

I hear where you are coming from. I'm very anal about keeping my stuff clean, especially during the hunt. The 870 experience wasn't during a hunting trip, it was the brainchild of some guys I used to work for at DHS. They wanted to see what an off the shelf 870 Express 12ga could take. Let's just say, I have a lot of faith in my 870s.

Last edited:

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Maybe Im senile, but it seems to me that every new shotgun I buy leaves less of a dent in the primer for the first few boxes. Maybe its the thin packing oil or something, but Ive noticed it on other shot guns too. Possibly by the lighter primer hit, the primer doesnt fully ignite leaving slow burning powder, or unburnt powder?? Since I picked up the replacement in October, Ive shot a few boxes of dove loads, and about a half a case of 3" mag steel shot, and havent had any problems.

Top Bottom