Wolf Extra Match 22lr

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Anyone shoot this for PRS. If so what are your results and the gun you use. I have a CZ 457 At one. Just ordered 1000 rds of this stuff after watching a few videos and seeing good results.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Anyone shoot this for PRS. If so what are your results and the gun you use. I have a CZ 457 At one. Just ordered 1000 rds of this stuff after watching a few videos and seeing good results.
    I could be wrong, but I think the earlier Wolf was being made by Lapua but is now being made by Eley. What I've been hearing is that the Lapua ammo was good ( I was using it and can confirm that) but the Eley is not as good.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have heard it go both ways with Eley being better so who knows.
    Most of the input I'm getting is from NRA Smallbore silhouette shooters. One of the top shooters is from Baton Rouge and he no longer uses anything but Lapua. My experience is in handgun silhouette and we have moved to the much smaller NRA targets to increase the challenge. We saw a notable decline in the Wolf Ammo when Eley became the supplier. But in all fairness the SK Standard plus is not as good anymore either and it is supposedly made my Lapua. And individual guns can have preferences. And one production run can be better or worse than the previous run. You won't know till you try.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Most of the input I'm getting is from NRA Smallbore silhouette shooters. One of the top shooters is from Baton Rouge and he no longer uses anything but Lapua. My experience is in handgun silhouette and we have moved to the much smaller NRA targets to increase the challenge. We saw a notable decline in the Wolf Ammo when Eley became the supplier. But in all fairness the SK Standard plus is not as good anymore either and it is supposedly made my Lapua. And individual guns can have preferences. And one production run can be better or worse than the previous run. You won't know till you try.
    I am just getting into this with Rimfire. A new world for me because I am so use to handloading my own ammo.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I could be wrong, but I think the earlier Wolf was being made by Lapua but is now being made by Eley. What I've been hearing is that the Lapua ammo was good ( I was using it and can confirm that) but the Eley is not as good.
    I heard a little of the same. I bought bricks of the gold match years ago because my CZ puts them through the same hole at 50 yards, but I haven’t tried any of the newer stuff. On the other hand, Eley does make some of the best match ammo I’ve ever shot. It always performed better than RWS and CCI match and green tag for me.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I've shot many types of 22LR ammo and excellent 50 yards groups can be had with several types, but when you start getting past 50 yards group size can grow out of proportion with some types. 100 yard groups will tell you a lot more than 50 yard groups if your goal is to shoot long range.

Bmw69ss

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    covington
    I’ve used it for many years shooting prone sling at 50 and 100 yards and has worked great in my anschutz supermatch 54 rifle. My ammo is probably 10 years old so I’m not sure of the new runs out today.

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    For PRS/NRL22 it’s def “good enough” as a hit on the edge is just as good as straight up bullseye.

As someone said earlier it was a capstone product (Lapua/SK) and is now on the ELEY roster. It may have some variation from lot to lot vs the higher tier offerings but if you want top performance out of it get a tuner. Burn 50 rounds by verifying your harmonic node and run with it.

I shoot anything that shoots well in my gun, CCI green tag, SK rifle match, Lapua center X, SK long range*currently*, and even CCI SV - my CZ457 that is the clubs loaner rifle LOVES CCi SV

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Bergara B14R here. I have not tried the Extra, but Wolf Match Target grouped really, really well with my rifle. It also chrono'd closer to 1140ish vs. CCI-SV at 1080ish (if I remember the numbers correctly; it was noticeable higher in velocity like SK long range). At 100 yards, I used 1.6 mil for it vs 1.8 mil for CCI for elevation. Grouped better, was faster, and still sub.

My rifle also does very well with CCI-SV. At least the lot I have a bunch of right now.

Phil McGrath

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2024
    Lafayette
    I’ve got some of the Made in England, it shoots well in the Stared 82G. But it’s a single shot not a repeater. I’ve also had good luck with Norma Tac it’s loaded by RWS.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I have read the type chamber reamer on .22 LR has a lot to do with getting accuracy from specific rounds and a barrel tuner can improve the accuracy of any rounds. Of course the higher the standard of production increases repeatability. Eley Tenex original load offers phenomenal accuracy according to "Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" Steven Boelter. If you're into rimfire, I suggest checking this book as the author meticulously and rigorously evaluates most rimfire ammunition available.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I've got some that shoots great in my RPR. Haven't shot a lot of at 100 to get a comparison as others have suggested, but really tight groups at 50

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    European ammo almost always seems to be higher quality than standard US ammo. My thought is that it is their market. Only people shooting in Europe are wealthy and it is a very expensive and regulated hobby there so the ammo has to match their market. Norma, Lapua, RWS and more. It why I was very interested in the Wolf Ammo.

I will give a range report when I get a chance to shoot. I have some SK ammo to try now as well.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Why has the industry not provided us the tools/components to buy primed rimfire brass so we can handload our own rimfire?

Sell us the primed cases, sell us the dies, give us some load data, and let the games begin.

All these rimfire competitions yet we can't develop a single load.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I have heard the Aguila standard velocity is very good ammunition. The wolf is good for the price. Published data shows average group size Wolf Match Extra .395 / +-.059
    I once started a project by segregating match ammo by total weight but never followed through. The idea was to get closer to a hand load by simply segregating rounds by total weight however in the case of Wolf Match Extra published data shows total weight 51.66gr/+-.1578gr.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    When your ammo arrives, make note of the Lot #. Some lot #s will shoot better than others, no matter what the brand.

You can try sorting them by rim thickness to improve consistency. There's a gizmo for that.

Everything you need to know is in the pages at RimfireCentral.com.

I've had very good experiences with Wolf ME.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Thanks DB.
    They'd do very well to make the tools and components for the top 3 or top (most common) 5 rimfire cartridges available. I'd jump all over the .17 HMR stuff. If I could handload the .17, I'd likely put a true match barrel on my little rifle. Talk about pushing the limits of reaching out and harvesting rabbits!

Having to buy factory ammo for any respectable level of precision is always a crap-shoot.

Top Bottom