Women's Classes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The husband and I have had a couple discussions on the intelligence of taking a CC course that really, only covers basics and legalities and not something further.

He's served in the military so he has a bit more firearm education than I do. I feel comfortable pointing and hitting a paper target. But I can't hit a skeet worth a damn and that means I'm not able to hit a moving target. Frankly I don't know how to track a moving target if that makes sense.

If I CC with just this basic six hour course then I'm in a world of trouble if it's not somebody on the outside of my house coming in and I have time to grab a pistol. Anything else I'm a sitting duck. Hunters Safety isn't enough and that's all I've had other than father and husband tips all my life.

I'm looking for something longer than a basic day long course. I found a few on the web and they sounded promising but none were the full two, three or four days. One I did see I liked was a four week, Saturday's only course out of state.

I'm interested in a woman's course but any beginner's training welcoming women would be a start. Ideally during the summer so the kids can visit their aunt and uncle.

So the question I have is how do I successfully search for different national training courses offered to meet my schedule and demands?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Sign up for our 3 day basic handgun class with Louis Awerbuck in May. By the end of the 3rd day you'll be rescuing hostages and making headshots on bad guys without hitting good guys. Louis has moving, swinging, and bouncing humanoid targets. He will teach you how to hit them. That's his job.

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    We have tons of trainers on here! Send Paul Gomez a pm, he gave me a one on one class and I learned a lot.I did not do moving targets but I'm sure he will work with you! For my permit we took Ernie's class(dawg23) he is a sweetheart.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Awerbuck sounds good and is what I'm interested in learning. The only drawback I have is not knowing when I can until the last minute. I'd hate to plunk down $600 only to have the boy wake up with an ear infection, or the girl telling me guess what! I have a school whatever you need to be at tomorrow!

One on One sounds easier and more adaptable, but I'd really like the benefits of a three day course too.

:confused: :)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Alternately, courses are held almost everyday by Tom Givens at Rangemaster in Tennessee. You could make a family vacation out of the trip.

http://rangemaster.com/

Tom is one of the most qualified instructors in the country and his classes are very reasonably priced as you can see on the website.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    To Cat,

You might want to contact Kay Clark Miculek http://www.bang-inc.com/ and click on babes With Bullets. They put on classes for women only and they have some of the top female shooters from around the country teaching. She is from Louisiana and Kay is world class shooter and instructor. Give her a call and if you need more information or have a problem getting intouch with Kay, contact me and I'll see what I can come up with.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Alternately, courses are held almost everyday by Tom Givens at Rangemaster in Tennessee. You could make a family vacation out of the trip.

http://rangemaster.com/

Tom is one of the most qualified instructors in the country and his classes are very reasonably priced as you can see on the website.

:bigok: I used to shoot there once a week. Good people. If you need a place to stay for your visit let me know. I'm sure I can find you a place for free or cheap.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    All,

I am a R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) Insructor. What interest do you think there would be in a women's self-defense course in the New Orleans or Baton Rouge area. the class is normally held over a weekend with two full days and a half day on friday. Cost is minimal, usually less than 100.00, and once you have taken the class, you can go to the same class anywhere in the country as many times as you want for life as a refresher free of charge.

The class teaches basic defense and situational awareness. It is a women's only class and involves simple basic physical techniques and live role players with agressor suits on. The dynamic simulation is pretty intense and very realistic. The enviroment is realistic and takes stranger aggressor and domestic violence situations into account. It is normally put on by universities and police departments, but with enough interest, I can gather some instructors and we can put on an outside course.

The class is very beneficial in empowering women to protect themselves and is a natural first step to those looking to get a CHP and an overall sense of self-protection. Take a look at the website and let me know if you have a wife/girlfriend/signifigant other that would be interested.

http://www.rad-systems.com/

http://www.rad-systems.com/

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    To Cat,

You might want to contact Kay Clark Miculek http://www.bang-inc.com/ and click on babes With Bullets. They put on classes for women only and they have some of the top female shooters from around the country teaching. She is from Louisiana and Kay is world class shooter and instructor. Give her a call and if you need more information or have a problem getting intouch with Kay, contact me and I'll see what I can come up with.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

+1 on Kay. Only a 4.5 hour drive, and if it's available, there's a bunkhouse on the range up there.

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    Tiger Mckee will probably be offering a women's only class here in Baton Rouge this July or August. The dates should actually be set tomorrow.

he is one of the best - it will be an excellent class on how to FIGHT with the gun as a woman, i.e. out of a purse, etc.

As long as it's not Aug. 4, I will be there with bells on! Plus it will give me a good reason to buy a new purse!!

I am excited, I learned a lot from Gomez and look forward to learning more!

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    As long as it's not Aug. 4, I will be there with bells on! Plus it will give me a good reason to buy a new purse!!

I am excited, I learned a lot from Gomez and look forward to learning more!

If you wear bells, the perp will know you are coming :p

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    July would be awesome! Even if it's August and school starts , it's easy to get away early in the year opposed to the spring. Pricing isn't too much of a big deal unless it's a time of the year I know things come up short nortice. From now until June, I try not to make nonrefundable plans. :D

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    I would also be interested in a class... Timing isnt really that important, just need to know about one month in advance so i can get off from work if need be! :D

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I guess I sorta understand the mindset of wanting a women's only class ......... Sorta.

But if someone is so unsure of himself/herself that he/she needs a special class, it might be better therapy to go to a regular course. Performing under stress is what we're all gonna have to do if we're exposed to a lethal threat.

Previous recommendations regarding Rangemaster (www.rangemaster.com) are spot on. Another outstanding "first time" class .......... in some ways even better than Rangemaster ....... is Tactical Response (www.tacticalresponse.com).

There's certainly nothing wrong with most of the other suggestions. But it's crucial that a first-time class be based on "the gospel" (as defined by a concensus of the top instructors on the planet). Not every class will meet this criterion. I've heard some weird "doctrine" preached by some "well established" instructors.

Rest assured, the schools that have trained tens of thousands of students have trained many, many women in those classes.

FWIW my wife attended several gun schools with me and was never intimidated by any of the instructors. (Of course that was before her sex change operation.:D)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    For the record, it's not the instructors I'm intimidated by.... It's the class participants. I'm more leary of sitting next to a jacked up ass who thinks he knows everything already. :)

I think I would feel comfortable sitting in a classroom full of women taught by men. The instruction was never the question. And taking a couples class is great. And actually one I'd prefer as well. My objective was not to be in a class with primarily men. I've even seen it said here, some husbands like to tell their wives different from the instructor. So that's another weight, again some strange man looking to score with some strange woman telling me what I need to know, and not what the instructor says.

AroundLSU suggested Awerbucks and mentioned a few BS'ers that would participate. While I don't think I'd have to worry about Rambo in class, it addresses another concern. In part that seemed ideal, but it also was full of people that is more knowledgible than I am. The classes I see that have been pushed recently IMO, are much more geared to what I'd need after I take a beginner's class. Unless every class assumes you are a beginner. Either way, I'd either hold someone back as the instructor simplifies everything, and thus removing precious time you paid for to learn something new... or I walk away without knowing what I really do need to know. Sort of like taking a green belt class before taking your first white belt. Ya know?

Hope that makes sense and indicates where my logic was coming from. Again it's not the instructor, it's the thought of who sits on the opposite side of the instructor.

I think my alternative here is to either wait for a BS'ers beginners class, visit Kay, call Paul for some one-on-one, or strong arm my husband into going through a non-BS class with me (even though I haven't met anyone here officially, there's some serious minded folks I'd "know"). Those are the options I feel comfortable with.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    And obviously, LPS said it much much more eloquently than I did.

Testosterone driven classmates = BIG FAIL.

Outclassed would just make me feel subconscious and uncomfortable.

Instructor, never the problem.

Top Bottom