Woodworth Range to reopen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    LDWF Range in Woodworth opening soon. I drove out there today after work. Very nice gentleman from LDWF spent time with me showing the new layout. They are shooting for Sept. 1st.

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    Pulling into the range you will notice all those trees to the right have been cut down. This is for the eventual (budget) building of a new office and education facility.

Shotgun stand will be to the left now. Rifle range shifted to the right some and angled where there is nothing but woods behind the berm instead of the forrestry building. They also want to build "wings" on the rifle range. There will also be a dedicated pistol range to the right of the rifle range.

Budget is tight so he said the number one priority at this time is to get the rifle range open and they will finish everything else as they are able.

John Sturgis is the gentleman I spoke with. This is not his permanent duty station but he will be interviewing for a new biologist to run the facility and also a tech to be in charge of the range. He is also asking for volunteers for RSOs. I told him I had taken the course last year just before the range was shut down.

Mr. Sturgis was very helpful even though I could see he was really busy. I dont think he would mind me giving his email if anyone has questions or wants to put their name on the list to volunteer. jsturgis@wlf.la.gov

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    I havent been able to ride back out there. I will try next week.

ETA: yes .308 is allowed

Last edited:

McMedic

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 30, 2006
    Pollock, La.
    LINK

Contact Information: 318-484-2212

Beginning Labor Day weekend the Woodworth Range will be open on a limited basis in an effort to accommodate our shooters to extent possible and still allow construction of the range to take place. Please visit this website for updates as posted on shooting times for the public.

Sept. 4 & 5

4th – 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

5th – 12 Noon to 5:00 PM

Sept. 11 & 12: Closed for construction operations.

Future shooting times to be posted.

Shooting Accommodations - Handgun Range - 50 yards
    Shotgun - 5 Stand Range
    Rifle - 100 yards

Range Fees - $5.00 per round for 5 Stand Shotgun Range. Clay targets provided.

Last edited:

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Heck YEAH! I cannot wait until this range opens up! I hate having to drive 45 min. to an hour just to shoot. I'm just amazed that there isn't any other place here in CENLA that allows 7.62X39. The people over at Alexandria Indoor acted like they had never heard of anything bigger than .223 when I was asking them what all caliber they allow indoors. -Their reaction to me clarifying "AK-47 rounds in semi-auto" was priceless though!

Please post any information about future dates!

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    Don't waste your time Blake. Big sign at the front "NO fullmetal jacket, total jacket or armor piercing." "control expansion lead rounds only." So unless you want to buy a box or more of $20+ 7.62x39 it ain't worth it.

The range is also only open to 50 yards. They have fully caved to the blackpowder crowd and fudds. Funny during the other 11 months of the year out of 30 shooters you might have 1 muzzle loader the rest were rifle (AR, AK, mil surp with a reloader or 2) or pistol. Guest what they shoot? FMJ.

Personally at this point I hope they shut down for good. I don't want my tax dollars supporting that place anymore.

Honest to God we need a real range somewhere around here. RPSO and Marshels are only open to LE. There is now nowhere for the rest of us to go that is safe.

Last edited:

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    Edited so as not to be a dick...

I shot FMJ at 100yds today.

There was a muzzleloader club there till noon but they have that deal because they supply an RSO even after their match.

Last edited:

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Well.... I think that I'll check it out tomorrow. If it's good-to-go, then I'll be there habitually every weekend.

If not, well then Fort Polk's MWR range will have to suffice.

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    Apology out to Kurt, there is a big ass sign saying no FMJ. I didnt notice it yesterday and aparently the RSOs yesterday didnt either cause I sure as hell shot it and didnt get called out.

I was an RSO there today and I told several people I think it sucks. I dont plan on stopping there. I will also try to make a case to LDWF and state politicians. I think everyone else who feels the same should also. Speak up!

It was a pleasure meeting Blake, his son and swaper today also.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    It's a dang shame though that FMJ is cheaper than brass ammo. :wtc:

I agree. FMJ SHOULD be allowed. Perhaps if there were some guidelines in regards to FMJ Fires? -Say, a designated lane in the center of the berm to reduce the likelihood of a stray round? Individual repsonsibility backed by Range SOP should come into play here.

All in all, it was a pretty darn good range! Lots of potential in Woodworth! Sure beats driving all the way to Leesville/Ft. Polk! Great meeting everyone!

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Only 50 yards? That's getting pretty short for rifle shooting.

The construction is still ongoing, and the range is open every other weekend for now (as I was told Sunday, 9-20-2010, at the range). Every other weekend is generous, in my opinion, considering construction is still in progress.

Currently, the only open range is the rifle range which goes out to 100 yards. The pistol range is not yet open, however, you can shoot pistols at the rifle range. That's what I did Sunday.

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    OK I have stirred the hornets nest. I have placed calls to and waiting responses from:

La.
    Rep. Chris Hazel 318 767 6082
    Sen. Gerald Long 318 628 5799
    Sen. Joe McPherson 318 484 2211

U.S.
    Sen. David Vitter 318 448 0169
    Cong. Rhodney Alexander 318 445 0818

D

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    I'm sorry for the rant, I'm just POed about the no FMJ thing. Basically the only safe 100yd range with in a 15 minute drive of here, a range I've told countless people about, basically is telling me to F off with that sign. It's no secret that the majority of the regulars shoot FMJ if they shoot centerfire that day. Also I'm sure Cenla Sports Shooters run FMJ at there pistol shoots.

I understand the reason for 50yd targets while they're still working, that's not a problem. I understand the reason for no armor piercing (hardned steel in one place = return to sender). I understand the old rule for no .50 bmg (too small of range anyway), etc. It's the fact the FMJ and "hunting bullets" will basically do the same thing when they hit the dirt. So there is not reason for that rule other that to reserve the range for a particular group, never mind it's a public range and the ammo type has never been a problem.

Lastly I know certain RSOs may not care and would say shoot what you want BUT like the OP said everyone is free to run the range as they see fit. So if Mr. Range Nazi or Mr. Blackpowder-Only decide to enforce the rule. Bu-bye.

I've debated "stirring the horents nest" and may join you.

Last edited:

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    Kurt the range is presently open to 100yds. Everyone should stir the nest, dont let me be a lone voice. Power in numbers!

Ok what I have so far...

Rep. Chris Hazels office listened to what I had to say took phone #, email, going to look into it and get back with me by phone and copy me on emails. Very nice lady, sorry have her name written down at work. She needed to do some inquiry and brief Rep. Hazel. Seemed very interested in what I had to say.

Sen Gerald Long, Im in his district. Person that answered the phone didnt seem interested in the least. Cut me off, said I needed to wait and see what Chris Hazel could do. I will remember this this sir.

Sen. Joe McPherson called me back personally within 1 hour of me leaving a message. I explained to him I am not in his district but I know the range is. He listened to me and told me he would try to get them to change it. He said he could only speculate on why it was done. Cudos to Senator McPherson.

Cong. Rhodney Alexanders office called me back listened, took all info but said I should give Chris Hazels office 24 hours to respond.

Sen. David Vitter, no response at this time.

If anyone is wondering why I called my U.S Senator and Congressman, as I told Rhodney Alexander's office Im sure there is at least some federal dollars have been spent out there.

Top Bottom