Would like to get into Bullseye shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but how would I go about getting into bullseye shooting?

Are there local clubs I could join? Anybody here doing it?

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. Interesting report, pangris. Thanks for posting, I learned something.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but how would I go about getting into bullseye shooting?

Are there local clubs I could join? Anybody here doing it?

Thanks for any tips.
    This is kinda an open ended question. Need a few more specifics. Bullseye can be defined in any number of disciplines.

With handguns there is rimfire and centerfire out to 50 yards shot one handed.

Smallbore (rimfire) rifle has disciplines of prone only, standing only, and 3-position.

Centerfire rifle has High Power shot from 3 positions to 600 yards. There's F Class shot from prone with a bipod.

What is your interest?

Then there is other competitions. Practical pistol in the form of USPSA and IDPA. The bullseye is large but try to hit it twice while moving sideways after a slide lock reload. Oh, and the clock is running.

I know of a silhouette match or two in the area.

Even the shotgun sports can be considered a bullseye sport. Trap and skeet certainly. Sporting Clays challenges the shooter with situations that he would more likely see in the field.

What is your interest?

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Nobody around here is shooting bowling pin matches at this time and about the only folks shooting PPC is the PoPo, it's their game. There is a indoor range in St Bernard shooting plate matches if you want to drive that far. You might want to check out Nick's Shooting Range in Garyville. They were running a small match on Tuesday nights that might be what your looking for.

Beauxdog

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Nobody around here is shooting bowling pin matches at this time and about the only folks shooting PPC is the PoPo, it's their game. There is a indoor range in St Bernard shooting plate matches if you want to drive that far. You might want to check out Nick's Shooting Range in Garyville. They were running a small match on Tuesday nights that might be what your looking for.

Beauxdog

They shoot a ppc match at the St Bernard outdoor range in Poydras, They also have Bowling pin shoots there as well.
    The PPC matches are monthly and I can get contact info for anyone interested.
    Not sure on the regularity of the pin shoots but I have been to a couple of them there.

Another venue that does not take a lot of equipment to get started is IDPA, no course of fire is over 18 rds. All you need is serviceable holster and 2 extra magazines or speed loaders.
    They are held on the 1st Saturday of every month in Amite in April, May and June, then they stop for the summer months. There is an offical IDPA club that holds monthly matches at the Southern Shooting Center in Thibodaux, next match is Match 13th.

Last edited:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks again for all the advice.

One handed shooting is a problem for me, as I am 100% right handed (can't even scribble my name with my left hand) and 100% left eye dominant. I do pretty well shooting with both hands by moving the pistol in front of my left eye, but shooting one (right) handed it is difficult to find a stance. Same reason I can't hit the broad side of a barn shooting a shotgun right handed.

Maybe optics/red dot could be the answer? Will have to try.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks Big D. Thought all the pin matches were gone.

Beauxdog

They virtually are all gone. If you can find one though it is whole lot of fun and about as social as it gets. #1BamBam and I put a couple on in the world famous 'BZ'. Finding pins was not easy. Bam got some off of Ebay & had them shipped in and that was years back.

I suggest BP & PPC matches as a way for new guy to get started as both are pretty low key and equipment is not a deal breaker. Barbarossa, you can use both hands at these.

Any match a new guy goes to the regulars will do what is needed to help them get up to speed. Ask the match director if you can shoot bullseye with both hands and just not be eligible to have your score count. At least you can try it and participate in the matches.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    -snip- I am 100% right handed (can't even scribble my name with my left hand) and 100% left eye dominant. -snip-
    About one-third of the population is cross-dominant. I am and here's a fix that will work for bullseye handgun, rifle and shotgun.

Procure some high tech Scotch Tape. Apply said tape to the left lens of your shooting glasses. Done. The frosty left lens allows the right eye to become dominant. Yet you can keep both eyes open. Try it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What Ellis said or what is listed below. If you have issues with both methods just shoot with your Non Dominant Eye. You may have to adjust your sights for #3.

Some right hand dominant and left eye dominant shoot with the pistol slightly off center to the left and the head slightly off center to the right lining the dominant eye up with the sights.
    Reverse for left hand dominant and right eye dominant.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom