Would like to start hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsutigers2008

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've never been hunting before. I am an avid pistol shooter and I would like to get into deer and duck hunting. I need to take the hunter safety course still but I need to know where I should go from there. I have plenty of friends who hunt all the time that I could probably borrow or buy an old gun from to see how I like it. Just need some tips on how I should go about everything and what all I need to buy.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Once you take the safety course you'll need to go get your hunting license, which ones you get depends on what you want to hunt. For deer & duck only you'll be good with:

State duck
    Duck stamp
    HIP certification
    Basic game
    (you will also need your WMA if you plan to hunt on a wildlife management area)
    Large game-for deer

All of the info you'll need is also on the LA state dept of wildlife & fisheries website.

Not sure how good you are with a shotgun, but I'd recommend you practice skeet shooting some before you take the safety course. You don't want to be the grown man that misses all 3 shots lol.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If your friends haven't already invited you to go with them, do they know you want to now?

The best way to start is to actually go with someone who already knows what to do. If you can't go with them, start slowly by getting a shotgun, buying a basic hunting license, and go somewhere you are allowed to hunt (private or public), and hunt squirrels.

You can learn woodsmanship on your own.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    ^^^ This is true, the best way to "learn" is to get out there and do it. Be wary of squirrel hunting now though on public land because the deer hunters are out.

lsutigers2008

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've been invited several times to go but I didn't have my license and didn't want to break any laws by just tagging along. I have a Remington 870 that is setup for home defense but I can swap the grips, barrel, and put the plug back in and it would be good to go. I do need to try to shoot skeet to get some practice first.

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    yes you can,but some places have mag.capacity restrictions.I am kinda in the same boat about goin' huntin'...,been a shooter all my life,but time to go huntin' for a driver has always been fleeting. Now i'm retired and have no money but LOTS of time !!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom