wouldn't a .22lr rifle be the best bet for zombies?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    I dunno. Flamethrower's plus zombies equal flaming zombies that spread fire. Might not be the best thing?

+1.

I reiterate, decreased brain function.

They may or may not feel pain, so you now have a flaming adversary whose advance has not faltered because their brain has failed to receive the message that fire burns!

I'd like to see this play out, I think the OP would evacuate his bowels when the "real zombies" started sprinting towards him and his plinker. :rofl:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    sure a shotgun or ak47 would be great but i don't keep tens of thousands of rounds for those. i saw the obama coming and i did buy tens of thousands of rounds in .22lr. the cheap bulk stuff of all brands.

zombies need head shots. all .22lr rifles i ever shot are plenty accurate for that under 50 yards and im willing to bet the .22lr will go in the scull at that range. zombies are slow and make easy targets. the trick is to have plenty ammo. those movies and games with fast zombies are lie.

but which .22lr rifle? i never had any luck with semi auto .22s and bulk ammo(is what i have and you are most likely to find laying around). i have a henry lever and its great with only a couple failure to feed every 500 rounds or so. but reloading the tube mag takes too much time.

maybe have a semiauto, lever, or pump in .22lr when moving from point a to point b, then a single shot crack barrel .22lr with a couple boxes of bulk ammo at your side when you are in a good position to slaughter.

You've obviously not watched "28 Days Later" and "28 Weeks Later". :mamoru:

I see that I'll have to "neutralize" you when the "Rage Virus" is unleashed. :rofl:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    +1.

I reiterate, decreased brain function.

They may or may not feel pain, so you now have a flaming adversary whose advance has not faltered because their brain has failed to receive the message that fire burns!

I'd like to see this play out, I think the OP would evacuate his bowels when the "real zombies" started sprinting towards him and his plinker. :rofl:

Especially if they more resemble the type in "28 Days Later". :D

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think type of zombie is huge. Are we talking the slow moving zombies that gnaw on you or the "28 Days Later" zombies that run a 4.3 40 while on fire because if we are talking about the later I want knock down power.

Yep, the later are like Michael Vick on crack! :mamoru:

I think Marcinko would term them "HMMF"s! :rofl:

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    Especially if they more resemble the type in "28 Days Later". :D

Agreed, but this is what the OP thinks:

zombies are slow and make easy targets. the trick is to have plenty ammo. those movies and games with fast zombies are lie.

I think someone would be in for a rude awakening. I can picture him sitting there with his 10/22, expecting them to shuffle like Ozzy Osbourne, and here they come like Usain Bolt. :run:

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Well this is one of the reasons I have a very diverse set of guns. Too many of one caliber is just not fun (although a little more aggravating to have to buy all the different calibers when it is time to go shopping). I call my 10/22 my Long Range Zombie Prevention Gun. It is accurate enough at 100 yards for a head shot on slow zombies and then I have friends close at hand with other larger calibers for the ones that got away.

Also on a totally different note, what I wrote on my graduation thank you card is: I am sorry I took so long to send these out, but I was having trouble deciding what to spend the money on. So after much deliberation I decided to use the money to buy more guns and ammo for the impending zombie apocalypse. Thank you for your generosity.

I think my aunts up in Olla are going to try to have me committed next time I see them.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

I think someone would be in for a rude awakening. I can picture him sitting there with his 10/22, expecting them to shuffle like Ozzy Osbourne, and here they come like Usain Bolt. :run:
    I'd pay to see the look on his face! A combo of :confused: + :eek3: + :wtc:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Well this is one of the reasons I have a very diverse set of guns. Too many of one caliber is just not fun (although a little more aggravating to have to buy all the different calibers when it is time to go shopping). I call my 10/22 my Long Range Zombie Prevention Gun. It is accurate enough at 100 yards for a head shot on slow zombies and then I have friends close at hand with other larger calibers for the ones that got away.

Also on a totally different note, what I wrote on my graduation thank you card is: I am sorry I took so long to send these out, but I was having trouble deciding what to spend the money on. So after much deliberation I decided to use the money to buy more guns and ammo for the impending zombie apocalypse. Thank you for your generosity.

I think my aunts up in Olla are going to try to have me committed next time I see them.

If your 10/22 isn't enough to stop the zombies it might work well enough to slow your friends down so you can get away. :)

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But seriously everyone knows the best zombie gun is a saiga 12.

Last edited:

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    According to "The Zombie Survival Guide," a 22lr is a preferred wepon of choice against the undead in a Class 3 (major population) outbreak. The author's reasoning is that survival will likely depend on your ability to out manuever the hordes of zombies bc fighting them head on is not feasible. Zombies also have a very acute sense of hearing. The quieter report from a .22 would minimize zombie hordes from closing in on your location. The ability to carry & find .22lr cartridges is a huge factor as well. He also believes that the ability to detach the head or destroy the brain is the only definitive way of stopping a zombie. Even detaching a head requires more effort bc the head can function on its own. Remember the zombie does not require oxygen to function. The idea behind the .22 is that with a skull penetrating shot the bullet will likely "bounce" around inside the skull and never penetrate the skull the way a high powered rifle round would.

Overview: The .22 would be optimal because...
    1) Availabilty of ammo
    2) Ammo is lightweight to carry when manueverability becomes neccessary. (also the pistol/rifle is lighter in weight...usually)
    3) The effectiveness of the round penetrating the skull and wrecking havoc on the brain without over penetration
    4) The sound of a .22 round is also less likely to attract attention from other zombie hordes

(These are not my opinions, just reciting what I remember from the book) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide

FWIW, he also believes a M1 and Samurai Katana sword are also very plausible weapons. A crowbar is good too because it is both a tool and weapon.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I call my 10/22 my Long Range Zombie Prevention Gun. It is accurate enough at 100 yards for a head shot on slow zombies and then I have friends close at hand with other larger calibers for the ones that got away.

Since when is 100 yards considered 'long range'? I guess long is a relative term. I would consider long range 250+. My main reason for not thinking that the .22LR is a good choice is the magazines. Tube magazines are out because of reload time. Ruger's 10-22 mags are not much better on reload speed and only hold 10 and I have not had very good luck with the aftermarket 30+ round ones. The stick type magazines that most everyone else uses are also limited on capacity. I prefer a 30 round AR mag because they are quick to handle and reload.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That "Zombie Guide" is for the old, senile type of zombies. The new and improved variety will take your .22LR and raise you a deep (infected) shoulder bite.

.223/5.56 would be ideal.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    According to "The Zombie Survival Guide," a 22lr is a preferred wepon of choice against the undead in a Class 3 (major population) outbreak. The author's reasoning is that survival will likely depend on your ability to out manuever the hordes of zombies bc fighting them head on is not feasible. Zombies also have a very acute sense of hearing. The quieter report from a .22 would minimize zombie hordes from closing in on your location. The ability to carry & find .22lr cartridges is a huge factor as well. He also believes that the ability to detach the head or destroy the brain is the only definitive way of stopping a zombie. Even detaching a head requires more effort bc the head can function on its own. Remember the zombie does not require oxygen to function. The idea behind the .22 is that with a skull penetrating shot the bullet will likely "bounce" around inside the skull and never penetrate the skull the way a high powered rifle round would.

Overview: The .22 would be optimal because...
    1) Availabilty of ammo
    2) Ammo is lightweight to carry when manueverability becomes neccessary. (also the pistol/rifle is lighter in weight...usually)
    3) The effectiveness of the round penetrating the skull and wrecking havoc on the brain without over penetration
    4) The sound of a .22 round is also less likely to attract attention from other zombie hordes

(These are not my opinions, just reciting what I remember from the book) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide

FWIW, he also believes a M1 and Samurai Katana sword are also very plausible weapons. A crowbar is good too because it is both a tool and weapon.

He also says the the M1 is the best weapon due to 30.06 being the most readily available round when it comes time for scrounging. Although I know of no one who shoots commercial 30.06 in their Garand.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Since when is 100 yards considered 'long range'? I guess long is a relative term. I would consider long range 250+. My main reason for not thinking that the .22LR is a good choice is the magazines. Tube magazines are out because of reload time. Ruger's 10-22 mags are not much better on reload speed and only hold 10 and I have not had very good luck with the aftermarket 30+ round ones. The stick type magazines that most everyone else uses are also limited on capacity. I prefer a 30 round AR mag because they are quick to handle and reload.

Long range compared to a shotgun. Also, running and gunning is not the time to be using a scope. If I am using my ruger then I have found a relative safe place that I can take my sweet time to reload and not have to worry about having a finger bitten off on short notice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom