WW1 or WW2 revolver? any info would be appriciated.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    Hey guys my mother-in-law assigned me the task of figuring out any information on this old revolver. The only know background information she knows is that her Father (my wife's grandfather, who would be ~ 75-100 ? yo if he was still alive) picked it up during WW1 or WW2 when he was either in Europe or North Africa. I have yet to find an exact match. I've found some close ones and it seems to resemble the S&W style of that time.

Markings consist of

1. "Made in Spain"
    2. "PN" with a shield underneath and a "X" in the middle of the shield and something to the right of the shield, I couldn't make it out.
    3. A "eagle" on the barrel -- I'm guessing, it could be a buzzard
    4. Also on the barrel "32.20 W C F C T G"

She wasn't sure which war he was in. The old battle ax tells me he (her dad) wasn't much of a father figure. I think she knows more about the gun then him. Anyway, sorry for the lacking and limited info.

I would greatly any info -- manufacture, model, caliber, which war, approx. age, $value$ (sorry guys it's not for sale, it's just always fun to know the value), can it shoot modern ammo, is it even safe to shoot, and anything else is appreciated.

ga65cp67c371poph022.bmp

2vdiqoe71hekgjthpos.bmp

8ax7td3jak6364d2c73x.bmp

a9jbcjwtb52qvt815uql.bmp

r36a8xveejidn0cwvzv.bmp

Last edited:

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    Might want to give people more than 5 minutes, especially at 1am. ;)

This is america damit, land of the free, home of the impatient, and I wan't it all (given to me of course) now! :D

-- It's amazing, I took those pictures around a year ago and have been searching on occasion for info on it. Now all the sudden 365+ days later at 1am on a Sunday, it becomes imperative that the mystery revolver be identified and my post make it to the top of the Home page for all 5 members who are barely awake to have the opportunity to look at it. --:doh:

+1 for my wife, she is right -- I can be an impatient SOB sometimes. :awais:

Last edited:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I've seen quite a few Spanish revolvers, but none with that type of cylinder release mechanism. Most are copies of the Smith & Wesson or Colt revolvers, so that may be an attempt at avoiding patent infringement. The .32-20 round is still in production if a bit hard to come by, but I personally wouldn't shoot that one. The Spanish guns have gotten a bad reputation over the years. Some are good, some are bad, but there isn't really much reference material on them. The situation back then was such that everyone and his cousin had a small gunshop in the back room, turning out pistols. The shield with X and "PN" are most likely a proofmark where the gun was tested at a Spanish government proofhouse to be safe (for the loads at the time). The eagle is most likely some sort of makers mark, although again, there isn't much reference material on these.

Like I said before, you never know if the Spanish guns were good or not when they were made, much less after all the use they saw. Add in the higher pressures todays smokeless powder loads create, and I wouldn't care to try shooting one. They're neat, but not really practical today and the few people who collect them tend to buy them at super low prices due to the general lack of interest in them.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There is an antique gun forum out there. I found quite a bit of help on my French Lebel revolver. I can't seem to find it under my favorites though...

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Seems like you got good data here.

Spain seemed to LOVE to copy S&W's and there are TONS of Spanish manufacturers who copied the basic M&P design from 1900-30's. That is the reason that even today, S&W rollstamps "Marcias Registradas" or Registered Trademark on their weapons. Also copies made in South America during that era chomped into S&W's profits as well.

Just an FYI.

I wouldn't shoot that one unless a real good smith took a look first. Just my .02 on that subject.

Nice history story. Got any other items from his service? Might make a great display if you grouped them for display. Just a thought.

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Shoalsfugro, do you have a reference book on the Spanish guns, and if so do you know where can I get a copy?
    collectorebooks.com has many referance books for old pistols

The crown with the X-mark use this PDF Then used gun broker

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Proofmarks.pdf

http://www.9mmlargo.com/proofs/proofs.htm

Then ran a search on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=146944859

And

http://www.littlegun.be/arme espagnole/ancien artisan/a aguirrey y cia gb.htm

Last edited:

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    Thanks for the info guys. I will make sure to let my in-laws know not to shoot it.

I have been looking for info on this gun for the past year and have found nothing.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007

WW1 July 28,1914 to November 11, 1918

I doubt that he picked it up in WW1 he would of been 8 years old at the end of the war if he were 100. Pistol may be from WW1 but I don't think he was a participant in WW 1.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Probably WW1 era, Spanish. My Grandfather-in-Law had picked one up during the war. It coukld be older than the war though. That's just when he acquired it. His was a .38.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Probably WW1 era, Spanish. My Grandfather-in-Law had picked one up during the war. It coukld be older than the war though. That's just when he acquired it. His was a .38.

Yes, my Papa was a pistol too, but he was 45 ACP.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xa_a7cUjC4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xa_a7cUjC4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom