WW2 Items for School Presentation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Just found out my kid has to bring in items to school for a “show and tell” type thing next week. The past few weeks he’s been working on a research paper on WW2 and apparently he needs to do a class presentation and bring in visual aids. He’s doing a tri-fold poster board with pics from the WW2 museum and has other stuff but he wants to bring in real WW2 memorabilia - a helmet, patch etc… I know usually they have those type things at the gun shows locally but I don’t know of any near New Orleans this weekend. He needs it for Monday. Anyone know of any gun shows close by this weekend or shops or flea markets we can maybe find something for him to bring in?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Check with some of your friends . A lot of folks have items that came from family members that served . You might be able to borrow a few things .

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Check with some of your friends . A lot of folks have items that came from family members that served . You might be able to borrow a few things .

I’m gonna see if I can find someone that might have something. But I’d like to get him some stuff for him to have. He’s 12 and loves 2 things - baseball and history. He can tell you the Presidents and Vice Presidents in order backwards, forwards however you want. If it’s history he’ll read about it. So last night I found out he needed visual aids and he said he’d like to go look for some this weekend and see about getting some items to display in his room. So I’m gonna try some flea markets locally and I think there’s a gun show in Hattiesburg we go try our luck at.

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    I’m in Slidell and probably have everything he needs if you feel like making the drive.

We’re in St. Bernard so Slidell is nothing to drive to. You have a store that’s sells that or a personal collection.

Someone told me there’s a huge flea market up on Menge near Pass Christian that usually has stuff like that. We’re gonna take a ride out there and see what they have this weekend.

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    My dad was a crew chief on B-17's and B-24's in England during the war. He is now 104 and living in Covington. You can bring him along, he's like a piece of living history.

When we went to the WW2 museum a few weeks ago we did one of the private tours. There’s a guy there who was actually in WW2 that does some of the tours. He’s supposed to be the best guide there is at the museum. Unfortunately, you don’t know who you’re getting when you book online. We got some older lady who didn’t know too much and couldn’t really really answer his specific questions. Sort of a cookie cutter spiel type deal. He had been waiting for that tour so he could talk to a real vet of WW2. We’re gonna try it again next time we go back.

I thought it was just a passing sort of thing since he was writing a research paper on it. But he’s 12 and doesn’t believe in Santa anymore. He gave us his “Santa” list the other day. Expecting all Xbox games and stuff like that. There is some of that of course but there’s also WW2 army tank toys ( I guess to put on his shelves he doesn’t play with toys like that anymore), mini Lego White House, World of Tanks miniature game and Battle of Midway board game on it.

Apparently, he suckered his little brother into putting something on his list too. He’s got a WW2 chess set on his.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Congratulations for having a Good Kid. I went to Hobby Lobby last week (sale) to pick up models for Christmas. They have a few WWII planes that are prepainted & assemble with a screwdriver. They should go together pretty fast. But the sales over.
    A7ACEE03-DF57-4C71-9594-F16E7D254424.jpeg

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    Dad’s father was with Patton, Mom’s father was with Rommel. They met/married when dad was stationed in Germany in 61-64.
    Got a cousin who was a B-24 pilot, 415th BS of the 98th BG. On March 1, 1943, “Thunder Bird” (B24 41-23789) was shot down after bombing the harbor at Naples, Italy. Crew is all still MIA

Lest We Forget

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Dad’s father was with Patton, Mom’s father was with Rommel. They met/married when dad was stationed in Germany in 61-64.
    Got a cousin who was a B-24 pilot, 415th BS of the 98th BG. On March 1, 1943, “Thunder Bird” (B24 41-23789) was shot down after bombing the harbor at Naples, Italy. Crew is all still MIA

Lest We Forget
    Dad was here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_Armored_Division_(United_States)

Went down to join up and was asked since he was a farmers boy can he drive a tractor? Why yes he says,
    Boom! your now driving a Sherman and that was how it was done.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    So he was a mechanic or technician ? You said Crew Chief . That's ground crew .
    My Dad was 457th Bomb Group . Glatton Station . Ball Turret Gunner .
    He was NCOM Master Sargent in charge of mechanics. He saw a lot of planes leave but never come back. But he also saw a lot of planes leave and come back still flying but looking like swish cheese only to patch them up and send them back out.

Top Bottom