XTC Equipment Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Ray-vin Super Smoker - Ordered one with the calcium carbide. Followed instructions with some Kentwood water. Cleanest burning flame you can imagine. Not an ounce of black smoke to be seen. I'm about to go back to old way with a plastic fork and a match. What could I be doing wrong?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Heck if I know. Mine puts out plenty of soot. Of course, I use tap water. or whatever is in my water bottle.

MoMallard

'03 guru
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Water type is irrelevant. Keep the flame low and keep burning it. Keeping the flame moderately low will result in a more incomplete combustion and give you more soot.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Dude,

Thats an old AMU trick, nobody ever taught you that one.
    It makes EXTRA soot.

Works for me!!

Last edited:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I figured there was a reason ya'll all hung around the end of the firing line pissing into the wind.

I've only tried it a couple of times. She either has a candle flame or could be used as a blow torch. I'll try again tonight and see if I can baby it.

Last edited:

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    It's not going to give off soot like an cutting torch will before you turn on the oxygen side.

Did you run the flame over your front post or a spoon to see if it left any carbon?

I still think you should **** in it!!

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Yes and no. It appeared that the nozzle had been clogged with a small chunk of carbide which had turned into powder. I scrapped it clean with a toothpick and tried it again. This time I actually got some black to come off the flame but it was very minimal. I'll bring it to the next match and let someone else try it with more experience.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Yes and no. It appeared that the nozzle had been clogged with a small chunk of carbide which had turned into powder. I scrapped it clean with a toothpick and tried it again. This time I actually got some black to come off the flame but it was very minimal. I'll bring it to the next match and let someone else try it with more experience.

There is a piece of cotton in the jet that acts as a filter to keep carbide from plugging up the jet. If yours is missing this could cause a problem. Just pull some cotton off a Q-tip, that's what Ray recomends.

MoMallard

'03 guru
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Agree with BKliebert. Pull out the old cotton filter and pull off a piece of the Qtip and insert. If you're getting only a flamethrower or a wispy flame with no in between, the filter is clogged. Don't pack the cotton in too tightly. THEN pee on it. Sam Adams urine works best. Dogfish is for fairies. (dzelenka reply in 3....2.....1....)

Top Bottom