Yellow Lab stole my intentions! What now?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    This is a bit long I suppose only for the super enthused lab lover folks to read lol

First let me say that I know picking a pup can be hit or miss regardless of any kind of intention the pup shows at 7 weeks. I’ve heard the story of using a duck wing to see which one goes for it best/faster or brings it back and then the dog ends up a lemon while the laziest pup in the group ends up the Champ. All that aside, I have to say it was still intriguing to see what this pup I’m about to describe did yesterday while I was there to pick one out.

I’ve been to a couple of litters so far and have been actively searching for a good Hunt Dog with a decent pedigree. Not so much one filled with Champions but at a minimum Field/Duck - Hunt/Work dogs not just pets. These pups Great-Great Grandsire on the Sire’s side to the top is EBONSTAR LEAN MAC and on the Dam Sire’s Side to the Top is ‘NITRO’ YELLOWSTONE’S TNT EXPLOSION. Compared to those two Stars it’s been tapering off but still a lot of really good dogs in their blood line recently too. ANYWAY!

I went to see these pups with the strong intent of picking up a black male. He was actually the only black male left out of just two thrown. The other two blacks were females and the rest yellow.

I handled all of them to include the females even though I had no intent on picking a female. While they were all playing and the owner and I were just talking I gave a little whistle while I was kneeling. Immediately this Yellow Male runs right to me. I extend my hand to his head and he sits perfectly and looks right into my eyes as I pet him. The other pups paid no attention and kept playing. We talk, I handle the pups more. They all kind of move towards their kennel under the heat lamp. I give a little whistle again and here comes the Yellow Male again except this time he SITS FIRST before I can extend my hand to him and waits for the Love. Surely not mind blowing I know that, but with the rest of them just mulling around I thought it was pretty neat.

On top of that the Black Male was smaller than this Yellow Male by about 1 ½ shoulder to shoulder. This Yellow had a demeanor about him that was unlike the rest. He seemed much more confident. I also saw him a couple times put his nose to the ground quickly, curl his tail and start sniff hunting something, not sure what but after 10 seconds or so he’d go back to playing. The Black Male also was the runt of what was left of the litter. He wasn’t the Litter Runt but was #2 according to the owner. The black male was also smaller than his two black sisters and his yellow sister. Definitely smaller than the Yellow Lab that came to me and about the same if not a tad shorter than the other Yellow Male. The Yellow also had a better feeling coat than the black.

Sorry for all the repeat I’m trying to be as informative as possible.

So in the end the Yellow stole all my black male intentions away. I snapped a couple picks to try and compare them but think I failed to get a good one to go off of. Either way here they are.

I left a collar on the Yellow Male to somewhat reserve him for a few days while I decide. The owner had no problem at all and didn’t even ask for a down payment. Just said let me know in a few days and if you decide not I’ll mail your collar to you.

So what do you guys think? Any TIPS on picking a pup? How should I decide Yellow or Black in this case?

Here's the two rascals;

pups005.jpg

pups002.jpg

pups001.jpg

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Yellow... He picked you. It's a done deal. ;)

Now saying that, don't give up on him. Commit for two years. Expect anything before those two years and you will be disappointed. Love them, they are some of the best dogs but they are ALL Marleys in the beginning. ;)

mtalbert

Deer Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Monroe
    Its hard picking when they are that young. Just go with your instinct. I think the yellow one has your name written all over it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Yellow... He picked you. It's a done deal. ;)

Now saying that, don't give up on him. Commit for two years. Expect anything before those two years and you will be disappointed. Love them, they are some of the best dogs but they are ALL Marleys in the beginning. ;)

How did I know you'd be the one to read all that first! lol

BTW I know you care about this, it was the 4 year old Momma's first litter. Owner said she was VERY attentive to them for it being her first pups. She was still cleaning them at 7 weeks and they usually stop that earlier. They were also still feeding off of her too. One of here Teets was sore I think and when they went for it she would snap them off of it. Then the owner rubbed her head and calmly told her to calm down and she let the pups back on it like she was willing to suck it up. The dude said this isn't his first female dog and but was impressed with her for sure. She also was very jealous of her pups. The more love we showed them, the more she'd bump them out of the way to get her own self rubbed lol

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I planned on getting a black lab, but ended up with a chocolate... what a crazy hyper goofy dog... but she's great.

I usually watch them play and pick the one that uses his/her paws the most. I had an uncle that bred champion dobermans many decades ago and that's what he suggested. So far I'm 2 for 2 doing that.

biged223

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2011
    Metairie
    As said above the Yellow one picked you. I always let the pup pick, the one that shows the most interest! Sounds like a man and his dog bonded in about 20 minutes.

Go pick up your pup, he is ready to come home.

Congratulations!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Are you a breeder, Hitman?

Well I bred my wife three times? does that count? :mamoru: she's gunna kill me :rofl:

Nah I'm just a buyer.

Same attitude from the Yellow as last time. He was first to the gate today when I got there. I did take the Black one out but it just wasn't the same. One thing my dad asked me to do was grab the muzzle of the pup and pin him down to see his reaction. I did that to the Black and he just laid there for almost 15 seconds. The yellow laid there for about 5 seconds and then fought back hard. Guess you can take what you want out of that but the old timers say it's a good thing for them to be ok with it at first but fight back once it's had enough. The Dog's will as he grows can be bought under submission down the road and will, but it's good to see some confidence in him with this kind of test.

Here is the PICK!!

chesty001.jpg

chesty002.jpg

chesty004.jpg

chesty006.jpg

Last edited:

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    After raising several litters and training many labs, I think by the description you made the right decision. I haven't found color to be anymore than a personnal preference. Good breeding and proper training will make the dog. Good luck and have fun.

Top Bottom