Your answers here will require a serious gutcheck!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This community seems to be full of gun enthusiasts, freedom lovers, cops, lawyers, defense trainers, doctors, business owners, etc, etc.

And we all watched in disbelief as New Orleans descended into chaos following Katrina. The NOPD and the other security agencies assisting them, did in fact confiscate legally owned firearms from law abiding citizens. There was no Martial Law officially declared, and since the NOPD has backpeddled on who gave what orders and by whose authority.

Here is what I have been trying to find out: What would you do if you were in a similar situation, and authorities came and demanded you turn over your guns? Do you refuse? Do you make a stand? Are you going to die at the hands of police trying to defend your Constitutional Rights?

I am not looking for chest thumping rhetoric. I want to know whether we have a constitutional right to make a stand! You get shot by police, witnesses or not, you're still dead!

I have asked the NRA and they can't answer. They say, "Well it can't happen with the Castle Doctrine." But it did happen! And the Castle Doctrine is no gaurantee it won't happen again.

Many of these people still did not get their guns back, and won't!

Where is the line drawn between cops acting on their own accord, and an actual declaration of Martial Law? Remember, there was NO DECLARATION OF MARTIAL LAW in New Olreans and the proverbial wolves were indeed at the door.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Multiple cops approaching a single home owner will not have a choice. You would have to surrender. You could resist for a bit but the end result would be the same. You and your family could end up in prison, or worse, and the guns would still be gone.
    NOW, if you and your neighbors were out in a group and armed that presents the police with a different scenario. They could try to convince you to disarm, but they are not going to take on a dozen plus homeowners together, especially when they know their orders are questionably legal.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    This is a great question and something that I have thought about alot. For me-I can go buy more guns, so if it REALLY came down to it-I mean a SWAT team demanding my guns and not just one crazy officer-backup the truck. But you are going to have to figure out the combination yourself cause I just forgot it.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Here is what I have been trying to find out: What would you do if you were in a similar situation, and authorities came and demanded you turn over your guns? Do you refuse? Do you make a stand? Are you going to die at the hands of police trying to defend your Constitutional Rights?

Although a great question as well as a great comment about requiring a "TRUE GUT CHECK" I am NOT sure ANYONE of us could accurately answer this question until the time comes and you are faced with the real live senario.
    I know what I feel in my heart I would do, and I am not going into that in a public forum. BUT again, this is what I feel I would do, I honestly pray I am never faced with this IRL and required to act on my decesion!

My opinion and .02 worth!

KT

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Multiple cops approaching a single home owner will not have a choice. You would have to surrender. You could resist for a bit but the end result would be the same. You and your family could end up in prison, or worse, and the guns would still be gone.
    NOW, if you and your neighbors were out in a group and armed that presents the police with a different scenario. They could try to convince you to disarm, but they are not going to take on a dozen plus homeowners together, especially when they know their orders are questionably legal.

So the Mob Rules LACamper? The right is an individual right.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You are protected in guarding your rights. If one or ten came to my house and demanded my guns in a post Katrina kind of way (no warrant and I had done nothing wrong) or in an attempt to disarm the public (Obama gets his wish) then you can count on me not going peacefully. I would offer that warning, or post a copy of the constitution by my door with a note saying that I will use the 2nd amendment right in order to protect the rest.

I do not see this happening anytime soon, however I have a friend of the family who was in France when they did this. She thinks that the day will come that they will come not only for your guns, but also for your house, and all your belongings in order to give it to someone more deserving to you. She plans on meeting them at the door and dying for her rights.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Have thought about the same thing and basically came down to this conclusion FWIW:

Never put all your eggs in the same basket. If SHTF, bury some, hide some, keep some, get some!!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We are told to respect our authorities! Respect police! Follow their instructions!

For the most part, I know they are just guys like me trying to do a job (and not get killed doing it). But "authorities" did consfigate guns in pre-war Germany. And an armed militia is useless if we watch from the sidelines.

Who is going to demand I not be prosecuted if I shoot a crooked cop trying to build up his gun collection? And which of his fraternity is going to testify on my behalf? Remember, this was NOPD, State Troopers from all over, Military, Police from all over, FBI, etc. Not just rebel NOPD officers

Come on you lawyers out there; I want to know. Will I get liberty or death? Will I be yesterday's news after the horror is over, or are my fellow freedom loving brethren going to revolt in my name if the cause was just?

wbill024

Devil Dog
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Have thought about the same thing and basically came down to this conclusion FWIW:

Never put all your eggs in the same basket. If SHTF, bury some, hide some, keep some, get some!!

came to same conclusion crafty , with 2nd choice being, as another already said, organize in advance and they will not be able to take them... without seriously risking their lives anyway.

(note - I know they are already risking their lives, but this would be different all around )

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    How can anybody answer a question like that ?????? the only thing you can base it upon would be history and eventhough its a pillar for out present the situations are diferent, if somebody would have done it during Katrina/Rita at least we would have a case to talk about, OR you never know maybe somebody DID and as you can see we dont even know it happened.

WHO KNOWS.

Laws are one thing but when those same laws can be taken to a "new" level by simply saying "emergency situation" and now WE ARE in control untill further notice then there is ONLY so much you can do.

A) get yourself and your family prepared to survive without the help of outsiders, for when that happens and hope for the best
    B) agree and be one more following in the line
    C) buy an island and set your own rules
    D) live each day like if it was ur last since very well could be.

As mentioned by Kajun in my heart I know what my answer would be, but a dead body on the street is NOTHING more than a bump on the road ...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    "I'm sorry officer, but I don't own any guns....." ;)

Remember that form you filled out when you purchased your last firearm? So do they.
    That is unless all of your firearms (assuming you have multiples), were bought secondhand on a hand shake.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    For those that don't know.
    [YOUTUBE]-taU9d26wT4[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]sm5PC7z79-8[/YOUTUBE]

Remember that form you filled out when you purchased your last firearm? So do they.
    That information would not be readily available in a time of crisis. They would have to track down the place where you bought it and look at the gun shop owner's book.

:)

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    This community seems to be full of gun enthusiasts, freedom lovers, cops, lawyers, defense trainers, doctors, business owners, etc, etc.
    My fav are the "Molon Labe" crowd. When push comes to shove these people will fold.

People have too much to loose these days; their homes, jobs, vehicles, possessions, children, etc.
    Not necessarily. The ATF can reference who applied to purchase guns very easily, particularly if youhave every bought two handgun in a 5 or 7 day stretch (I forget which).
    Fixed.:D

Last edited:

wbill024

Devil Dog
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    My fav are the "Molon Labe" crowd. When push comes to shove these people will fold.

People have too much to loose these days; their homes, jobs, vehicles, possessions, children, etc.

Fixed.:D
    I know, we aren't as dedicated as you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: but then again i am sure you've actually been in a war zone and defended the right to begin with ...right ? .... i will say this, since the point to owning a weapon for me, is to protect my family ... 3 kids under 5, I aint about to have a gun fight at the door with police to make a point genius ...the rest of the list wouldn't exactly matter though would it ?

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    The more I think about this, it doesn't really matter if they come knocking on my door to confiscate my firearms....If it a "Katrina Scenario" there is a very, very good chance that I won't be home anyway and my guns will be with me as I would have evacuated with my family...My house and personal belongings can be replaced...My family cannot...Plus I live in a very rural area in which a similar scenario would be highly un-likely anyway....

Best way to not have to worry about that kind of situation is to not put yourself in it to start with....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom