Yugoslavian AK Barrels From Centerfire Systems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've been reading about the $13 pulled Yugoslavian AK barrels Centerfire Systems is selling, and I decided that for $13 I can risk them being crap. Well, I ordered five, and they came in day before yesterday. Last night I cleaned up the last of the five, and I have 2 with really excellent (like brand-new) bores, one with a very good but a bit dark bore, one with a dark bore and strong rifling, and one badly shot-out bore.

When they came in they all looked like crap, but I spent about two hours on each running Sweets 7.62 through the bores, and the results are so good, that last night I ordered five more. On my first order I was able to get four useable barrels for $64 shipped, so I think it's worth it to get more. After all I have a bunch of Yugo kits with barrels in various states, and this will save four of them.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I don't think anyone has yugo kits anymore. The link you posted, the picture shows a VZ kit, but the description is a yugo? The legion arms kits were milled anyway and I cannot weld.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Funny, though I love building the Yugos, I really don't like shooting them so much. They're unnecessarily heavy for my purposes, and at the range that translates into fewer things I can hump around from my car to the bench. At Honey Island range that's a real limiting factor. The light recoil of the AK just doesn't warrant the heavy gun. Now the Romanian AK's are light enough to lug around, and their recoil is no more noticeable. I wish I had more of them.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I had a century Yugo underfolders and it was heavy. That is the only reason I didn't like it. I really like my Romanian stuff. I have a couple of polish underfolders I am going to build and I really like them.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I almost ordered some simply because of the price, but the more I researched it just doesn't seem like there's much you can do with them based on kit availability, etc. You could make a hell of a coffee table or coat rack though. :D

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I have used these same kind of barrels on rommy-g builds as well as polish U/Fs and theywork just fine.The old gas hole sits under the gas block and you just drill another one where needed.I got 4 of these barrels also and they were in good condition.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    So you lathe the barrels to get the diameters correct to receive Romanian gas blocks and FSBs? Do you have access to a lathe that's big enough to hold a barrel?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Wish I would have known this barrels would have worked on roomy g builds before I bought the one from Apex, could have saved me a few bucks.

Oh well too late now

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish

Oh dear. Yes. Yes that's what I had in mind.

Which brings me to :

Has anyone bought the Yugoslavian RPK barrels from Centerfire Systems? I'm about to get into a Yugo RPK build, and I'd like to know if I have a chance of getting a good barrel if I buy one of the Yugoslavian take-off barrels from Centerfire.

Do the US-made Yugo RPK barrels suffer from the same bad fit as the US-made Romanian RPK barrels?

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I don't think the Yugo barrels have the same fitting problems as the U.S. Romy barrels. R guns has new U.S. made Yugo RPK barrels for the same price as the used ones.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    OK, at $13 each even the bad barrels are cool. Aside from owning an AK barrel, they make excellent clubs. You could beat to death an entire herd of baby seals with one of these puppies!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom