zero turn mowers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky_reaper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    prairieville
    My push mower just died on me for the last time and I am in the market for a new zero turn. Im looking for something entry level as my lot is only 100X180. My question is what brands are the best to go with? John deere seems like the first name that pops up but ive heard the quality has dropped off?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I'm happy with my new Ferris. Not happy about GE Capital financing it. They are located in Con. and have employees with children in the Sandyhook school. I feel for them but can not agree with GE's antigun stance.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I've been using ZTR mowers since Dixon came out with them in the 80's.

My personal mower now is an Exmark. Can't say enough good things about it. Quality equipment.

Most manufacturers use the same engines, it's just a matter of frame construction.

Pick any of the long time major manufacturers and you can't go wrong really. I would definitely insist on a Briggs & Stratton engine though.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Take a careful look at the mower deck. That's the thing that takes the abuse and rots away before the rest. Don't get anything stamped! Get something heavy gauge and built. I ended up settling on a Kubota commercial.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Guy at work is now ordering parts every summer for his Cub Cadet after 3 years of use.

A Dixie Chopper will beat the crap out of you but will likely last 15+ years.

Husqvarna is meh with not so good Ergo-Nomics.

Bad Boy is pretty good, built tough but not so awesome ergo wise.

ExMark? seems good to go. I know a guy who uses them his for a Lawn Business and he's tight with money. Said they are solid and he hasn't replaced anything major on them but blades.

I've heard very little about John Deere ZTR's.

IMHO, The Caddy of ZTR's is a Ferris. My father-n-law, brother-n-law and myself have cut grass on one Ferris for almost 8 years now. It is USED HARD. I think he's replaced one wheel and one handle piston besides annual oil change stuff. It is a complete animal of a lawnmower and the foot adjustment for up/down blades is superior to any I've seen. It also has a unique system to keep the blade from digging in but also pressing it down to the desired blade height which is also adjustable in seconds with 1 pin. Not only is it comfortable, but it cuts at Full Throttle with the blades moving around 18,000 RPM's at something close to 10-12 mph fwd.

I've used a good bit of different ZTR's but the Ferris has it all IMO. Durable, well made, thick decking, comfortable and ergonomically sound with (INDEPENDENT) Suspension I've not cut grass on a finer ZTR.

Last edited:

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I'm in the same boat. So far I've checked out bad boy, ex mark, toro, cub cadet, and gravely. The gravely dealer is close, which is a plus, but the more I read the more I don't know what I want. I want serviceable drives for sure, though. That and a welded constructed deck, not stamped.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    My Gravely is on it's 9th season. Great service. I put the mulching kit on it. I have the smallest one they make, forget the model.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I've been using a Toro Timecutter Z for three years with no issues. For a standars lawn the stamped deck will last for years. I will definatelt recommend a Kawasaki motor above all the others.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    We've got a 30" Dixon "SpeedZTR". It was expensive. It isn't commercial quality. It's also quite loud. I would have spent an extra $1000 and gone with a Commercial Gravely.

Also - if you ever plan on moving a trailer (even a light duty one), don't get a ztr. Lawn tractor > ZTR on trailer/boat moving. ZTR < Lawn Tractor for everything else.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I had a Dixon from '90-about '98 and it did fine
    Cost me about $3500 back then
    Last year I bought an Ariens 54" with a bigger engine and better welded deck for almost the same money.
    It seemed the best deal to me (under 4k out the door). Most of those ZTR mowers are ok except for a cheaper mowing deck, so the welded heavier gauge sheet metal deck with solid rod mounts appealed to me.
    If you have the funds, Dixie Chopper is the way to go. Exmark and gravely look awesome too. Hard to beat any of the commercial type mowers. I wouldn't recommend JD or any of the other "cheaper" versions, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do fine on smaller residential lawns. Weighing out cost and amount of use and care/storage should be the main deciding factors, aside from some reputable consumer reports.
    Happy hunting!

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I've got a John Deere commercial Z910 that is on it's 3rd year of use and haven't had any problems at all with it as of yet. Haven't turned a wrench other than basic maintenance (Greasing and oil changes). I opted to go with a smaller deck for my yard, as it is only an acre, I opted for the 48" deck, but there are larger options available. Mine has the Kawasaki motor on it and it has been great.

My father in law has a Kubota diesel that is a beast of a machine, hell, I could land an aircraft on the deck of that one, but he needed the larger deck due to the acerage that he cuts. I will say, I like my Deere, but it is quite obvious to me that the Kubota is a better made machine.

I personally would try to stay away from the "box store" ZTR's. I am sure you could get some that are worthwhile, but the commercial mowers will generally tend to hold up better to the abuse. Of course, the downside to that will be the cost, and if you are not cutting a extremely large area it would probably work.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I used to run with grass crews in the summer years ago and we owned/ran just about every brand out there. Now I cut 8.5 acres a week, and owned a hustler for 9 years. Got so pissed at the local service here I went with a John Deere 930M, 72" commercial from Sunshine in D'ville. It's a beast! Would never buy any other brand now.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Go to Gauthiers on Hwy 44 and Black Bayou. Buddy of mine just bought a Toro ZTR and is very similar to the ExMarks--makes sense since Toro bought them in the last couple of years IIRC. I had an Exmark Phazer and it ran like a champ and was a beast. Sold it cause i simply didn't need that mower for my yard. I absolutely loved that thing. It was a 2006 model and never had a problem. Anyway, I think the financing at Gauthiers is pretty good on the Toro or their Hustlers. Worth checking out.

Commander 007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Don't confuse the John Deere that you see at Home Depot with the John Deere at J.D. The LT and L models are base model and not made by J.D.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    I don't know if it was already mentioned here. I have a Grasshopper and have been very happy with it. We also have a local Grasshopper Dealer. Whatever you buy I highly recommend you check out the local Dealer's record before buying. The Warranty Service and other services provided by my Dealer are gold in my book!

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Speaking of decks being the major risk of failure. The same is true of standard lawnmowers. I've wondered about putting bedliner on the underside to prolong deck life.

Any thoughts? Dumb idea. Not helpful. Etc.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    For a small yard, you wont want to spend the $$ on a welded deck. A stamped deck will last 20 years if properly taken care of on a yard that size.
    I bought a new ariens about 3-4 years ago and have no complaints. Changed blades and oil only so far, I cut 2-3 acres a week with it. it is a zoom 50 and was under 3 grand to my door. Ariens ownes and produces several of the big names including gravely.
    Now, for other I have experience with:
    Kubota- very high priced, way out of your league for yard size
    John deere- if it is under $4k, or from home depot or something, you are buying a green paint job, it is not in the same realm as the old john deere or the ones you buy at the tractor store that cost 10k
    Cub cadet- 3 people I know have the 50", 2 were junk from day 1 and the third is a champ- all 3 used on smallish yards about an acre
    Bad boy- neighbor has one that cost twice what mine did and works half as often
    Toro- decent machine but I didnt like the ergonomics of it, dad and brother in law each have 1, BIN's is only a year old but is nice (basicly identical to my ariens but cost 1000 more), dads is several years old, has a kohler on it and is requiring regular repairs now including a valve stud backing out last year and a bad starter
    I personally do not like briggs twin cyl engines at all, they like to destroy rods and are noisy, the single cyl red tops are good enough, I had a 17hp and put royal purple in it after the first year, cut with it 8 more years than gave it to a neighbor that is still using it. Kohler engines are not as good as they once were but get put in a lot of mowers now. I like my kawasaki, it is smooth and quiet and has given me no problems.

Now, having said all that, a $1000 murray will last you a long time on that small of a yard as will a $1800 snapper will last 2 lifetimes.
    I did use gecapitol to finance my mower when I bought it, 3 years cost me nothing to use their money ao I feel I got over on them. If I quit doing business with companies that had views different than mine, I wouldnt be able to do business with anyone other than myself.
    Just my opinion.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Hustler Fastrak. A bit more than the home version. It's more along commercial lines and sturdily built. Check out Gautreaux's in Gonzales. They have several different brands and you can check them all out.

Top Bottom