Oklahoma Self defense shooting and it's aftermath (from XDTalk)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I suppose my PM to him was a bit late, then. :rofl:

Quoted from XDTalk:

One of our members and his family have been turned upside down recently due to a home invasion gone wrong, for the bad guys! But it has also turned their families lives upside down. ibwaldo Needs our help and all of us at xdtalk.com want to show him our support.

We are setting up a fund to help ibwaldo and his family. We will be contributing to the fund and we hope that you all will do what you can to help our fellow member. To help, we will be raffling off an xdtalk t-shirt, Crossbreed Holster and Belt. We will randomly draw from the members who participate in this fund raiser for our member in distress. Please help us put a little security back into ibwaldo life by showing we care. Thanks for all the help. This fund raiser will run till November 26th. Please get your donations in as soon as possible. Thank you all again for the help.

Make any donation to (Paypal) Account number admin@xdtalk.com.

If you have any question please let me know. If you would like to know more on this story click here.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    It is never to late to help someone. I think that it is amazing that so many people want to help. We have to come together as a community and support one another and take care of each other. This will enable us to become stronger as a community of not only gun lovers but as good people.

Phoenix 6.0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Having read most of the thread on XDTalk I can say - those are some illiterate m-f-ers. I have never seen so many misspellings in my life! Real dumb ones too.

If u had to read on that horrible color scheme every day, it would make you dumb too. one reason i don't go on there but when i have a xd question

Its pretty scary to think about how helpless one can be after the fact. and **** the media

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe an LEO could explain why they keep the gun for up to 2 years? Would they take all other guns in the home if something like this happens or just the one used?

Maybe we could start a list of pro gun/self defense attorneys in a separate thread.

Believe it or not, it takes about two years for these things to go to trial and be done, and actually, two years is kinda fast.

SInce it was set for trial, the gun was evidence and will not be released until the conclusion of the trial. If there are appeals and such, it literally could take 5-10 years. That is why people always say to have a second gun because if you are involved in a shooting, your gun goes bye-bye-until it is done.

FYI, the same thing happens for cops. If you are involved ina shooting, your gun is logged into evidence generally until the conclusion of the investigation and/ or trial. Normally a new gun is issued to the officer if/when hegoes back to armed duty.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    That is very interesting, and nice to know at the same time. That will make my justification for having multiple weapons that much more convincing. Now from what you are saying they will not confiscate all your weapons, just the one involved in the shooting?

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Believe it or not, it takes about two years for these things to go to trial and be done, and actually, two years is kinda fast.

SInce it was set for trial, the gun was evidence and will not be released until the conclusion of the trial. If there are appeals and such, it literally could take 5-10 years. That is why people always say to have a second gun because if you are involved in a shooting, your gun goes bye-bye-until it is done.

FYI, the same thing happens for cops. If you are involved ina shooting, your gun is logged into evidence generally until the conclusion of the investigation and/ or trial. Normally a new gun is issued to the officer if/when hegoes back to armed duty.

Guns from LEO's in LA that goto LSP are there for less then a week now... LSP972 does the ballistics, inspection, etc whatever he does and the are returned to service. JPSO may be differant since the operate thier own CSL

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Guns from LEO's in LA that goto LSP are there for less then a week now... LSP972 does the ballistics, inspection, etc whatever he does and the are returned to service. JPSO may be differant since the operate thier own CSL

Sweet. Good info. We do have our own crime lab, and I would not be surprised if it goes down just like you said. Luckily, I have not had to personally experience, but I have known some guys to be going to court on a shootng for 4-6 years.

LSP972 would be THE person to give timely info on this process better than me.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That is very interesting, and nice to know at the same time. That will make my justification for having multiple weapons that much more convincing. Now from what you are saying they will not confiscate all your weapons, just the one involved in the shooting?

That is the way it is suppossed to go down. The problem is depending on the circumstances of the shooting, they may take all or some of your weapons into evidence in order to properly identify which one was actually THE one.

That said, in most GoodGuy vs. BadGuy shootings, where you cooperate and are clearly the ivctim, then yeah, only the firearm atually used in the incident will be seized as evidence.

However, unfortunately, anything is possible.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish

Interesting fact:
    Psychologically speaking, they shouldn't wait to issue a new weapon. I've read several studies that show that it is more often than not viewed as a "punishment" to the officer involved in the shooting. It makes them feel like they did wrong, and makes them bitter, and impacts them negatively in the emotional healing process from dealing with the shooting.

Studies show that officers issued a new weapon immediately upon surrendering the duty weapon used, that they are able to return quicker to duty, and with less emotional impact in both professional and personal life.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Interesting fact:
    Psychologically speaking, they shouldn't wait to issue a new weapon. I've read several studies that show that it is more often than not viewed as a "punishment" to the officer involved in the shooting. It makes them feel like they did wrong, and makes them bitter, and impacts them negatively in the emotional healing process from dealing with the shooting.

Studies show that officers issued a new weapon immediately upon surrendering the duty weapon used, that they are able to return quicker to duty, and with less emotional impact in both professional and personal life.

I agree. All the law enforcement intrustor and administartor training advises immediately, as in on the scene, to simply swap it out. Even if it means taing a gun out of another officer's holster for the ride back to the station. It is a HUGE issue psychologically. This is of course if the officer is suspected of no wrong doing. ANd that really is the issue. Most officers, after doing their job, are "stripped" of their weapons as if they are a danger. That act is internalized and the officer feels he is already losing the support of his department and peers as they try to distance and protect themselves. I have ben to several conferences where "post-shooting" management was a topic of discussion.

ibwaldoswifee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    This is IBWALDO Wifee. I am the woman who pulled the trigger and forever changed our lives that day. MY children we my only concern. This was the third time we were robbed, and both previous times they waited until my husband was not home to invade. It was obvious (as one of the very few people in the neighborhood that took care of our yard, etc) that we were targeted. The lady across the street from us was broken into in January and they broke both of her legs and raped her. She was in her 60's. I was asleep in my bedroom, and my babies were down the hall each in their own rooms. MY only thought was to protect my babies. Not me, not my belongings, ONLY my babies.

What kind of mother would I be to know there is imminent danger lurking at the house and turn around and move back in? Do you know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing again and again expecting a different outcome. Moving back into that house is not an option. DA told us we cannot because of the threat, and I would consider it insanity to chose to go back there knowing the danger.

It is difficult moving from place to place and I fear everyday that someone will find us and try to harm myself or my children. I did not think of all of this before I acted October 21st, 2010. A day I will certainly NEVER forget. I thought only of protecting my babies, and until we sell that house we are financially strapped down to either living in our car, or squatting with friends. It is NOT at all the outcome I would want for anyone who chooses t protect their babies, but it is my fate. I am a strong woman, I'm sure no one would argue that, but without being a mother protecting my babies, none of this outcome would matter.

I am hopeful some time in the future we will be able to sell that house and move on with our lives. I know my husband mentioned he was trying to get a job out of state, but so far no such luck. We are not giving up, we will make this all work out, my babies are my life and I will do whatever I can to protect them.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ This is my Facebook page if you want to verify that I Am who I say I am. Just read a few of my wall posts.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for taking the time to come here and comment. While none of us can truly understand what you went through, we definitely feel your pain. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the fact that you and your family are safe now, at least from that previous threat. With that being the end goal, you did the right thing.

I personally wish you the best of luck, and I am sure I speak for many here when I say if there is anything we can do to assist, please let us know.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ This is my Facebook page if you want to verify that I Am who I say I am. Just read a few of my wall posts.

Thank you VERY much for visiting us! I think I speak for us all in saying our prayers and thoughts are with you.

The URL you posted for Facebook is invalid as it takes the user to THEIR page, not yours. For YOU it works because it is YOUR home page, it should be something like this to work for everyone:

http://www.facebook.com/HeroHog

I got that by right-clicking on my picture on my Facebook page then selecting "Copy Shortcut" then pasting that here. I am HeroHog on Facebook.

ibwaldoswifee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Thank you VERY much for visiting us! I think I speak for us all in saying our prayers and thoughts are with you.

The URL you posted for Facebook is invalid as it takes the user to THEIR page, not yours. For YOU it works because it is YOUR home page, it should be something like this to work for everyone:

http://www.facebook.com/HeroHog

I got that by right-clicking on my picture on my Facebook page then selecting "Copy Shortcut" then pasting that here. I am HeroHog on Facebook.

Thank you for letting me know my link was incorrect :) I followed your instructions, I hope it works this time.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile=1&id=9614462

Top Bottom