10/22 repair

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have a 10/22 and the scope mounting holes in the top of the receiver are stripped. I was wondering if anyone has repaired one and what size tap and screws were used.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i have the same problem. i called a few places and got prices from $15-25 per hole to retap to the next size. im gonna buy a set of cheap taps and try it myself. the main problem with this is most taps are tapered on the end to get the tap started. you need a flat ended tap because the holes are pretty shallow and you are not going all the way through the metal. but then starting it can be a pain. what i plan to do is just buy a cheap set of taps from harbor freight start the holes off then grind the end of the tap down and tap the rest of the hole. hopefully this works.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Thanks for the help. I will try and tap the holes and if it dosen't work I will probably buy an NDS-22 and use the rifle for parts.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    you have to be careful when buying the correct size taps, i haven't seen a set sold locally that has a 6-48 tap. it is a gun specific tap. i have a complete set of taps for 6-48 with the taper, plug, and bottom taps and also have the 8-40 taps. IF it was taped for 6-48 and stripped out then you would have to go up to 8-40. I had the same problem but the holes in my reciever went all the way through so i had no problem and the rifle runs fine. my set of taps came from brownells. a good bit of money but it is top quality and great stuff.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    so peter what would you charge me to retap my holes up to the 8-40. i didnt realize they had threads specific to guns. the next thing i had to figure out was how to find screws that would work but if the 8-40 are a common screw for guns then it shouldnt be hard to pick some up.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    you have to be careful when buying the correct size taps, i haven't seen a set sold locally that has a 6-48 tap. it is a gun specific tap. i have a complete set of taps for 6-48 with the taper, plug, and bottom taps and also have the 8-40 taps. IF it was taped for 6-48 and stripped out then you would have to go up to 8-40. I had the same problem but the holes in my reciever went all the way through so i had no problem and the rifle runs fine. my set of taps came from brownells. a good bit of money but it is top quality and great stuff.

I plan on attaching a weaver type rail and was wondering where you found screws that were 8-40.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    You can find 8-40 plug, taper and bottom taps at Brownells, along with the proper drill bit. Use kerosene as cutting fluid in aluminum. Another option would be to buy a barrell that has a cantilevered scope mount that projects back over the reciever.

Top Bottom