2 in one year...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    If you read my post a few weeks back, you realized I was a part of that Oakwood mall shooting on christmas eve, only 2 stores away when it happened. Well today, at the Muses parade, I was with my family and friends as another shooting occured, 50 FEET FROM WHERE WE WERE STANDING!

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/02/muses_parade_shooting.html#incart_river

wtf is wrong with people?!

I DONT FEEL SAFE ANYMORE IN NEW ORLEANS! My 7 month pregnant girlfriend, son, and friends luckily got out the way before sh*t got crazier. On the bright side, they caught the guy as he was running away, stupid punk did it in front of officers.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    They were never taught about the consequences of their actions. The children of teenage parents are often permitted to do anything they want.
    I live in New Orleans. I do not live close to these kinds of people though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Outside a Popeye's one block from MLK, who woulda thunk?!

Exactly!

Sorry OP. You are not very savvy about where you should and should not be for parades. The only place along St. Charles that would have been worse than where you were is between Seventh and Third. I was at the Ramada (for free drinks), Mardi Gras Day about 20 years ago, and I got scared of what was heading south from Dryades, Daneel, and Saratoga.

As a battle hardened New Orleanian native I NEVER worried about that in my life down there until that day.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    I was at the parades on St. Charles Sat. night for the 6 and 6:15 ones. We were standing in front of Superior Grill, had a seriously large crowd, dj, police telescoping lights, and NOPD around us. About hour and a half into it, somebody lit a behemoth of a firework in the middle of the crowd. Probably one of those aerial shells, but it sounded like a pipe bomb. Really had me on edge. Police run over and ride over on horses, but was a reminder to me how easy it would be for a nut job to leave a device on the parade route. I've been attending Mardi Gras since I was a kid, and never had this happen before. It was unnerving to say the least.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Ehhhh... I don't want to be a story teller, if I don't know the story is true... I can't stand guys that tell other guys' stories...

I was present for the firework detonating though on Saturday. Honestly, that was pretty scary. I immediately thought of the Boston Marathon bomber and wondered if anyone lost their legs. Sad you have to worry about this stuff now.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I also caught wind of a situation that unfolded on the parade route uptown last week that didn't make it on the news. A buddy of mine told me some crazy guy stabbed another person multiple times in front of the crowd. Never made it on the news though. I assume it would hurt tourism in the city during Mardi Gras.

I should clarify. He did not see the stabbing, but heard about it. Therefore, I cannot say if this actually happened, but this is what he heard. I assume this story wouldn't circulate if there wasn't some sort of truth to it though...

Tell your friend they also had many rapes and murders in the Superdome during Katrina! :bs:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Standing by a Popeye's on any parade route can never be a good idea. They say the shooting in 2009 and 2012 happened in that same area, I herd from other people I know that stand near Lee's circle say they had no idea the shooting happened, and herd later when they were leaving, and the guy was caught immediately. Sounded like more thug on thug crime near the route, not on the route. My first thought was someone got shot over a shoe. I will bring my kids to Endymion with family and friends and maybe Bacchus, but we usually do only the Metairie parades with them, rarely head downtown during the week for a parade.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Well I guess more of what I meant was I doubt they were in the crowd catching throws, probably on the side street parking area, but I'm only going by what someone else said.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well I guess more of what I meant was I doubt they were in the crowd catching throws, probably on the side street parking area, but I'm only going by what someone else said.

Don't wipe it on the carpet now that it is on your shoe. The victims were the targets. Those police in the photo are either tending to the dead victim or the one in critical condition, or they are subduing the shooter. Any way you slice it, that IS on the sidewalk of St. Charles Avenue! :cool:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have lived in NOLA for 21 years and have attended Mardi Gras parades every year. Where I watch it I feel very safe and have never had any issues whatsoever. Having said that I will say that even though NOLA is safer than it was pre-Katrina there are still places I would not be for whatever reasons. If you live in NOLA you need to be smart about things. As far as parade watching I would never watch a parade between Louisiana and Lee Circle. I hear people all the time say they like to watch the parades in that area and I never understand why they would do that. I have some friends who were in that area years ago and had to dive to the ground when a shooting took place. Scared the hell out of them and they have never gone back. I used to worry when my wife rode in Muses and had to go through that area. I am sure it was something that had nothing to do with the parade and probably would have happened even if the parade was not going past there but bullets don't really know who they are intended for and bystanders can often be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Having said this I would not write off NOLA or Mardi Gras parades. If you want to go to a safe, family oriented place to watch them you can. You don't have to stay in Metairie. Where I watch them there are families and we have a great time. To the OP I am sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope your luck turns around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom