200 Yard Highpower Match Sunday August 24th at Gonzales

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There is a 200 yard reduced course match on Sunday August 24th at the Ascension Parish Sheriff's range in Gonzales. Registration begins at 8:00 and ends at 8:30. Shooting begins at 9:00. If you will get to the range at about 7:45, we can put you through a short "clinic" and have you ready to shoot by the match. During the match we will be able to coach you. It is a great way to get started (I did it this way).

Email me if you are going to come.

dzelenka@couhigpartners.com

Dan

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Damn. Gonna be at a Sig Academy class that Sat. and Sun. If it weren't for that, I most probably be there. :(

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I'm really thinking of showing up early and going through the "clinic". I've always heard that Highpower is where some of the best started and learned their skills. Not to mention it sounds like a lot of fun. I'll go be the "F.N.G." for a while.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I cant go, but I went to the NRA webiste for more information on a highpower match. Is this a match where you can use any type of sight or is it strictly an iron sight match?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Gents & ladies also,
    I can wholeheartedly recommend that anyone able to attend do so. Everytime I have shot in any structured shooting environment I have been handed down some knowledge. It is the easiest, cheapest most convenient way to become a better shooter. I have also a bunch of really nice people. They all do what they can to get you through the match & make it a great experience.

Kengel2,
    It is irons only, but it is not as bad as many people think.

I have shot a total of 5 matches for the first time this year. Matches are a great way to step up your shooting. I have already decide to make some changes in my target practice. Competition does improve the breed.

Don't forget that there are rifles & ammo available for a nominal fee.

I've already committed to shoot a different type of match elswhere. I'm kicking myself that it is the same weekend.

Sincerely,
    RDO

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I cant go, but I went to the NRA webiste for more information on a highpower match. Is this a match where you can use any type of sight or is it strictly an iron sight match?

This is an iron sight match. If you were to look at the rules, you would see that these types of matches are for "Service Rifles" and "Match Rifles". A Service Rifle is and M16A2 or A4 (not M4s), M14 or M1 Garand or their civilian counterparts. In order to qualify as a Service Rifle, the rifle must look like its service counterpart from the outside. There are modifications that are approved.

A Match Rifle is everything else. One thing that a match rifle must be capable of is holding 5 rounds. Most Match Rifles have front and rear aperture sights.

Service rifle is what most people start with because they are generally cheaper (a NM AR can be found for under $1,000) and they have great tradition that accompanies them. Older shooters who have troupble seeing a post sight will sometimes change to a match rifle for their better sights.

The only NRA maches that are shot locally with optics are "F Class" matches at Palo Alto. These are 60 shot prone matches fired at 600 yards.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    RDO,

I think we are shooting a Vintage Rifle/M1 Garand match on 8/30 at Palo Alto. Get that on your calendar. I will keep everyone up ot date as I find out more about that one.

Dan

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    RDO,

I think we are shooting a Vintage Rifle/M1 Garand match on 8/30 at Palo Alto. Get that on your calendar. I will keep everyone up ot date as I find out more about that one.

Dan

Dan,
    I saw that in one of your other post. I will have my signed permission slip & my $15 bulks "retogo". That is a really great match to attend also.
    Thanks,
    RDO

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dan can we just do the mini clinic? I'd hate to embarrass myself

There is not a chance that you would embarass yourself. At least not so that any of us would care. We see new shooters who get it together quickly and others who take a bit more work. We work with anyone who wants us to. However, if you just want to come out, check out the equipment, meet the guys and watch the match, by all means, do so. It will not hurt and you will be able to see that there is a very broad range of skill levels, but most everyone is having a good time.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    By the way, when I said mini clinic, the one I gave Swamper and Skywlkr lasted about 15 minutes. Next they watched me shoot. Then it was their turn.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    How long does this last? I will be in town that weekend but time is limited

Asian,
    Probably end noonish. I figured I should come out last & as long I was not unsafe there would be no embarassment. You will find they are quite humble and helpful. No one there is judgemental. They are problem solvers that would try to figure out how to correct any problems not ridicule individuals.
    Give it a go & then let us know how you did.
    Later,
    RDO

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    So, I understand the difference between service and match rifle. Do the local matches ever specify service/match rifles?

And Im not worried about iron sights.;)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Kengel2,

The only match that specifies a Service Rifle is an Excellence in Competition match. We hold 2 of those per year (one in the spring in conjunction with the Bayou State Regional and one in the fall in conjunction with the State Highpower Championships). An EIC match is a 50 shot match fired at 200, 300 and 600 yards without sighters. (excelling in these matches lets you know whether you are a real rifleman or not) These matches award points toward the Distinguished Rifleman badge. They are sponsored by the CMP, not the NRA. All other matches are open to both Service and Match rifles. Some of the larger matches will segregate the two into different categories, however the monthly matches rarely have enough Match rifle shooters to make their own category.

Dan

PS I noticed you are in Covington, so am I. If you want to check out the equipment and get a little instruction in advance drop me an email.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    OK guys. Is anyone planning to go to the Gonzales match? Will you be needing any equipment? I am keeping my eye on the weather. Perhaps tthis matches luck will hold and we can get in a morning of shooting.

Dan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom