2013 Tropical Weather Activity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    That's what I was getting it. I didn't realize that it came from the forum, referring to another forum, apparently (I'd hope) stemming from some expertise. I was hoping to get linked back to the source.

I would like to think if there is a correlation/causation, it would be in the literature and we would have heard about it.

Weather is so incredibly complex. It seems to me the greatest effect on weather is due to the temperatures of the oceans, the Gulf and the magnitude of effects goes down from there. They don't call it tropical weather for nothing.

A very interesting topic.

:cool:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I would like to think if there is a correlation/causation, it would be in the literature and we would have heard about it.

Weather is so incredibly complex. It seems to me the greatest effect on weather is due to the temperatures of the oceans, the Gulf and the magnitude of effects goes down from there. They don't call it tropical weather for nothing.

A very interesting topic.

:cool:

O...M...G...

Did Tom NOT use the :ohreally: emoticon to end a post?!

:run:

/world

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yep...we need a weather system to steer this sucka back out to sea once it gets close to FL....

HurTrack1.gif

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    To Karen, or not to Karen? That's the question...

http://bcove.me/k6eq2gnb
    Tropical Storm Karen has formed in the the Yucatan Channel, and will move into the Gulf of Mexico, potentially posing a threat to the United States.

The disturbance has been festering over the past few days but until Thursday morning, Air Force reconnaissance aircraft were unable to find a closed circulation signaling the existence of a full-fledged tropical cyclone.

Data from Thursday morning's Air Force mission indicated that such a circulation had formed. Surface winds of 50 to 60 mph were measured in a portion of Karen's circulation, indicating that a fairly healthy tropical storm has already formed. It is the season's 12th tropical cyclone and 11th named storm.

As Karen moves northwest and north toward the central Gulf Coast, significant uncertainty remains about how strong it will become and how strong it can remain. Strong wind shear is expected to hold firm across the northern Gulf of Mexico, and this shear is likely to cause Karen to weaken to some degree as it approaches the U.S. mainland.

Stay with The Weather Channel and weather.com for continuing coverage of Tropical Storm Karen.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-development-possible-1/18390176

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-video/new-disturbance-nears-gulf-of/1683763362

Tropical Storm Karen Forms in Gulf of MexicoBy Michael Doll, Meteorologist
    October 03, 2013; 7:30 AMMore Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedin. Tropical Storm Karen has formed in the Gulf of Mexico and will move into the southern United States this weekend with heavy rain, gusty winds and rough seas.

Karen will continue to move along a curved northward path over the central Gulf of Mexico through Friday and will most likely make landfall along the upper Gulf Coast Saturday night.

There is a chance Karen becomes a hurricane before making landfall.

@NWSMobile tweeted: "We continue to monitor an area of low pressure in wrn Caribbean..projected to move into Gulf of Mexico late this week."

Additional Relevant Tweets and Social Media Reaction

Showers and thunderstorms will become more frequent from the Florida Panhandle to southeastern Louisiana Saturday.

As Karen strengthens, seas will gradually build over the central and eastern Gulf of Mexico. As the seas build the frequency and strength of rip currents will increase along with the possibility of beach erosion.

650x366_10031235_hd25-1.jpg

The rain can be heavy enough to alleviate recent dry conditions in some locations and may raise the risk of flooding for parts of the region this weekend.

A pocket of 3- to 6-inch rainfall can occur close to the center of the storm track.

Near and just east of where Karen makes landfall, minor coastal flooding is possible. Wind gusts in the neighborhood of 60 mph can cause minor property damage, downed trees and power outages.

650x366_10031237_hd28.jpg

Sometimes as tropical systems make landfall, tornadoes can be produced. This is also a possibility at this point, near and east of the landfall.

The thunderstorms with this system have been spinning across the southern and central Caribbean during the last two days.

Into early Wednesday, wind shear had been a bit too strong and an inhibiting factor in development.

This weekend, a strong cold front will move across the Mississippi Valley and into the Southeast.

650x366_10021049_lateweek.jpg

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It needs to go east. Aside from all the other obvious reasons, I've got deer to kill and hogs to clean. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom