2014 Healthy Recipes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys,
    After today's healthy salad thread, I figured we should all have a place we can post our favorite healthy recipes for other members to try and whatnot.

I'll dig up a few when I get home, but otherwise, feel free to share. Pictures are always appreciated!

RSC

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Pan Seared Mahi Mahi

What you need:
    - 1-2 pieces of mahi mahi (4-5 oz each)
    - Olive oil
    - 1 tsp sea salt
    - 2 tsp cracked black pepper
    - 2 tsp garlic powder
    - 1 tsp onion powder (I used 1 tsp of dried minced onions)
    - 2 tsp cumin
    - 2 tsp paprika
    - 2-3 tsp cayenne pepper

What you do:
    - Rinse your filets and pat dry.
    - Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl, this will be your rub.
    - Drizzle your filets with olive oil and add the rub to both sides of the filet.
    - Heat a large skillet to medium heat.
    - Drizzle a little olive oil in the pan.
    - Pan sear each filet roughly 3-5 minutes on each side or until flaky & cooked thoroughly.
    - Serve with your favorite vegetables and garnish with cilantro or parsley.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Turkey Meat-Loaf

- 2lbs ground Turkey Meat (chicken works too)
    - Hunt's MeatLoaf Tomato Sauce (contains onions, peppers, thyme, etc... highly recommended)
    - 1 cup of oat meal (real oatmeal, not the flavored packets)
    - (some) diced onions
    - 2 eggs
    - (some) garlic powder

I'm neither a professional chef nor a professional writer, so my recipes will be written in man-mode. When I say "some" for an ingredient, its just however much you want.

Toss all the ground meat into a deep mixing bowl. Add HALF of the can of Hunt's Meatloaf, the diced onions, garlic powder, and raw eggs. Blend the oatmeal in the blender for 5-10 seconds, you want it to be the consistency of bread crumbs. Add the oatmeal to the other ingredients in the bowl and mix it up with your hands. Yeah, be a man. When its mixed fairly well, cover a pan with aluminum foil. Put your meat mixture onto the foil, and shape into a loaf roughly 1.5" thick. Slide it in the oven at 400 for an hour.

As soon as it comes out of the oven, top with the other half of the Hunts Meatloaf sauce, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.

Suggested sides are: steamed veggies or a salad if you're cutting, add a sweet potato if you're bulking or just on a general clean eating kick.

Will post pics- making it for dinner friday. This is one of my absolute favorite "healthy" dinners.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Turkey Meat-Loaf

- 2lbs ground Turkey Meat (chicken works too)
    - Hunt's MeatLoaf Tomato Sauce (contains onions, peppers, thyme, etc... highly recommended)
    - 1 cup of oat meal (real oatmeal, not the flavored packets)
    - (some) diced onions
    - 2 eggs
    - (some) garlic powder

I'm neither a professional chef nor a professional writer, so my recipes will be written in man-mode. When I say "some" for an ingredient, its just however much you want.

Toss all the ground meat into a deep mixing bowl. Add HALF of the can of Hunt's Meatloaf, the diced onions, garlic powder, and raw eggs. Blend the oatmeal in the blender for 5-10 seconds, you want it to be the consistency of bread crumbs. Add the oatmeal to the other ingredients in the bowl and mix it up with your hands. Yeah, be a man. When its mixed fairly well, cover a pan with aluminum foil. Put your meat mixture onto the foil, and shape into a loaf roughly 1.5" thick. Slide it in the oven at 400 for an hour.

As soon as it comes out of the oven, top with the other half of the Hunts Meatloaf sauce, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.

Suggested sides are: steamed veggies or a salad if you're cutting, add a sweet potato if you're bulking or just on a general clean eating kick.

Will post pics- making it for dinner friday. This is one of my absolute favorite "healthy" dinners.

If you love your meat loaf recipe, try spicing it up by smoking it. You can use either a smoker or a bbq pit. I have a natural gas pit and it comes out just fine. Throw some soaked apple wood or oak chips in the smoke box, get the pit up to 250*, throw the meat loaf on indirect heat in the same pan you would bake it in, and leave her be until the internal temp hits 160*. It takes about 3.5-4 hours on my pit to cook a loaf that's about 2 inches thick. DELICIOUS.

ETA: forgot- top it with your favorite bbq sauce for about the last half hour of cooking.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    healthy thread - skip the bbq sauce or find one thats fat based and not packed with sugar.

Jack Millers (i think? solid orange stuff with white label) has 5g carbs 4g fat 1g protein?? much better compared to the common bbq sauces with 40+ grams of sugar...

and it never occured to me to throw it on the grill, I might try it!

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    healthy thread - skip the bbq sauce or find one thats fat based and not packed with sugar.

Jack Millers (i think? solid orange stuff with white label) has 1g carbs 7g fat 2g protein

and it never occured to me to throw it on the grill, I might try it!

I've done meat loaf on the smoker in a cup cake pan "kids love them lol".

Can't wait to try the turkey loaf!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Evil Enchiladas - this ones medium-high calorie, and is great for high intensity workout days, "refeed" carb days, or anytime if you're bulking.

- 2 cans of old el paso enchilada sauce
    - Lean Beef 93/7
    - Fat Free Cheddar (full fat if you're on that kind of meal plan)
    - Whole wheat tortillas (I prefer small size, any will do)
    - Dixie Light Sour Cream
    - 1 packet of Taco Seasoning

Preheat your oven to 375. Grab a skillet and get it cookin at medium heat. Give the pan a drizzle of olive oil (not "some" fellas, just a LITTLE, like 1/2 teaspoon max) Add the ground beef, and hit it with the garlic powder, 1/2 the packet of taco seasoning (i use low sodium), and mix it up/stir.

After the meat is browned, drain the grease. To drain: Have a strainer in the sink, and dump your cooked meat into the strainer and allow the grease and fat to just drain out while you get the other stuff ready.

Put the meat into a mixing bowl. Add just a little over a cup of the shredded cheese, one and a half cans of the old el paso enchilada sauce, then mix that stuff up good.

Next, youll either use a glass pan or aluminum foil on a regular pan, and give it a small blast of Pam so it doesn't stick.

Lay two tortillas in the pan, and add your sauce/meat/cheese mixture into the center of each tortilla. Don't fill it too much, you want to be able to roll it up. Make sure the rolled part is facing down. Repeat this step until your pan is full of enchiladas.

Pour the other half can of old elpaso over the enchiladas in the pan. cover all of them best you can. (if you used big wraps, you may need another 1/2 can). Sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese over the top, and slide that pan into the oven at 350 for 15 minutes or so, you're just melting the cheese and warming the tortillas.

Remove from oven, top with a spoonful of light sour cream and dig in.

If you're watching carbs, this tastes great without the tortillas.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    This is my favorite salad dressing except now I'll use sea salt and add some cracked black pepper.

Equal parts bourbon and balsamic vinegar
    some oilve oil (I guess I measure like wabbit)
    some sea salt and black pepper
    some garlic powder
    some basil (fresh is better)

salad dressing.jpg

It like to drizzle a little on an unpeeled onion cut in half and then throw it on the grill cut side down until it's tender. Fantastic side for a steak.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Protein Cupcake:

Protein Powder of your choice in Chocolate Flavor (use whey)
    1 Egg
    Vanilla Extract
    Cool Whip Lite
    Strawberries if you like
    Cinnamon if you like
    Splenda if you like

Beat the egg in a bowl, and toss in a manly sized scoop of chocolate protein. Stir it up, no chunks, and get all the gunk off the sides. You might need to add a small blast of water... but stir until its well blended.

Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1tsp of splenda

Stir it up again very very well...

Throw it in the microwave for 1m 30s. (Don't overcook it or itll come out like a brick)

When it comes out of the microwave, hit it with a blast of "I cant believe its not butter", and for this dish I especially prefer the spray kind.

Cover with Cool Whip Lite (and Diced strawberries if its your thing.)

Depending on your protein, this is roughly 40g protein, 7g fat, and 2g carbs. (14g carbs with 4 strawberries)

Next time you get a sweets craving, use this recipe to give it a swift kick, square in the junk.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Everyone knows that fitness and booze don't mix.

That being said: Bud Select 55. by far and away the best beer under 100 calories. One of these occasionally satiates my "beer" craving- and by occasionally I mean one a week.

A couple select 55's on saturday night will not make you fat.

A couple margaritas, mixed drinks, or glasses of wine 3 nights a week will.

More recipes when I get home- these were off the top of my head.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Everyone knows that fitness and booze don't mix.

That being said: Bud Select 55. by far and away the best beer under 100 calories. One of these occasionally satiates my "beer" craving- and by occasionally I mean one a week.

A couple select 55's on saturday night will not make you fat.

A couple margaritas, mixed drinks, or glasses of wine 3 nights a week will.

More recipes when I get home- these were off the top of my head.

This is very true. When I go out with friends I'll get one, MAYBE two (this is legit rare) Michelob Ultras. I get a lot of flak for it but I honestly don't care.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you guys get sweet tooths, BSN Power Crunch Bars in Triple Chocolate.

It's like a kit kat bar, I kid you not. I used to hand these out at my seminars to teach people that health food isn't all terrible, and I've never met a person that didn't like this bar instantly. You can find it at most grocery stores at ~1.55 a pop, and when you taste it you can order boxes online for 12 for 15.00. the other flavors are okay, but triple chocolate thinks its a kit-kat bar.

Best part is that its made with whey protein (not soy). 9 fat, 10 carbs, 15 protein. amazing snack for the movie theater. only suck is that its not so good in the car, purse, or edc bag during warm weather.

To further embellish its flavor- this exact bar is the weapon of choice for many personal trainers that try to sneak protein into student athletes with picky eating habits.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Pan Seared Mahi Mahi

What you need:
    - 1-2 pieces of mahi mahi (4-5 oz each)
    - Olive oil
    - 1 tsp sea salt
    - 2 tsp cracked black pepper
    - 2 tsp garlic powder
    - 1 tsp onion powder (I used 1 tsp of dried minced onions)
    - 2 tsp cumin
    - 2 tsp paprika
    - 2-3 tsp cayenne pepper

What you do:
    - Rinse your filets and pat dry.
    - Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl, this will be your rub.
    - Drizzle your filets with olive oil and add the rub to both sides of the filet.
    - Heat a large skillet to medium heat.
    - Drizzle a little olive oil in the pan.
    - Pan sear each filet roughly 3-5 minutes on each side or until flaky & cooked thoroughly.
    - Serve with your favorite vegetables and garnish with cilantro or parsley.

May try this with some catfish. Don't think my local grocer knows what Mahi Mahi is. ;)

Going to check into those BSN chocolate things as well. Interesting thread.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you guys get sweet tooths, BSN Power Crunch Bars in Triple Chocolate.

It's like a kit kat bar, I kid you not. I used to hand these out at my seminars to teach people that health food isn't all terrible, and I've never met a person that didn't like this bar instantly. You can find it at most grocery stores at ~1.55 a pop, and when you taste it you can order boxes online for 12 for 15.00. the other flavors are okay, but triple chocolate thinks its a kit-kat bar.

Best part is that its made with whey protein (not soy). 9 fat, 10 carbs, 15 protein. amazing snack for the movie theater. only suck is that its not so good in the car, purse, or edc bag during warm weather.

To further embellish its flavor- this exact bar is the weapon of choice for many personal trainers that try to sneak protein into student athletes with picky eating habits.
    200ish calories and 5g of sugar each if I remember too ;)

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Protein Cupcake:

Protein Powder of your choice in Chocolate Flavor (use whey)
    1 Egg
    Vanilla Extract
    Cool Whip Lite
    Strawberries if you like
    Cinnamon if you like
    Splenda if you like

Beat the egg in a bowl, and toss in a manly sized scoop of chocolate protein. Stir it up, no chunks, and get all the gunk off the sides. You might need to add a small blast of water... but stir until its well blended.

Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1tsp of splenda

Stir it up again very very well...

Throw it in the microwave for 1m 30s. (Don't overcook it or itll come out like a brick)

When it comes out of the microwave, hit it with a blast of "I cant believe its not butter", and for this dish I especially prefer the spray kind.

Cover with Cool Whip Lite (and Diced strawberries if its your thing.)

Depending on your protein, this is roughly 40g protein, 7g fat, and 2g carbs. (14g carbs with 4 strawberries)

Next time you get a sweets craving, use this recipe to give it a swift kick, square in the junk.

I tried the cupcake with vanilla flavored Combat. It tasted good, but had a dry rubbery texture. I might have nuked it a little too long.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    A lot of people forget how easy it is to cook certain things.

I made what I call stupid easy salmon last night. All you need is salt, pepper, parsley, olive oil and salmon (duh).

I took the filets and put them in an aluminum pan with a little drizzle of olive oil. Cook at 400* for 30-35 minutes or until the filets reach 145*.

So amazing for being so simple.

photo1.jpg

Just thought I'd share. For those who don't know, salmon is an excellent source of Omega-3s, protein, vitamins A, B, and D as well as calcium, iron, phosphorus and selenium. It's is also great for heart health, has excellent brain and nerve benefits and it can make your hair nice and shiny (you know, because you need to shine all the time).

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    200ish calories and 5g of sugar each if I remember too ;)

sounds right. perfect little "sweet snack"

- - - Updated - - -

I love mahi but its hard to find fresh around here. Salmon and tilapia are my default fishies of choice. will try this salmon tonight! usually do salmon on the cedar plank on the bbq grill- will post recipe later.

Top Bottom