2014 Healthy Recipes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    There are plenty of ways to change up grilled chicken salad. Are you just doing chicken on lettuce?

For the most part I keep it simple:

Grilled Chicken
    Romaine Lettuce
    Spring Mix
    Cucumber
    Tomato
    Boiled Eggs (whites only)
    Lite Italian Dressing

Anything I should change from a healthy standpoint? Gotta do blood work again in 4 months so I wanna do as much as I can until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    adding some nuts will give it more texture and will help give cholesterol the boot as well. May want to incorporate a bit of spinach as well, there aren't too many nutritional "wonder foods", but spinach is one of them.

sunflower, almond, or walnuts.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I marinade my chicken in Wishbone lite italian for at least 24 hours before I grill it or cook it on the stove top.

Other things I've added in addition to what you listed include mandarin oranges, toasted pecans, avocado, bacon, dried cranberries/cherries, onions, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, arugula, sprouts, and mushrooms. I've recently become obsessed with baby bellos.

Granted I'm not on a cholesterol diet, more like paleo, but this is what I do. Oh, and I use 2 tsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp olive oil as my dressing.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    for cholesterol you may want to ditch baco-bits, egg yolks, and shrimp. shrimp are incredibly high in cholesterol - one of the mysteries of an otherwise perfect health food.

to lower it, i'd suggest the nuts, berries, and avocado. as redstick stated, dried cranberries are amazing in a salad. try it

and baby bellos are awesome as well- they absorb every flavor in the bowl.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    adding some nuts will give it more texture and will help give cholesterol the boot as well. May want to incorporate a bit of spinach as well, there aren't too many nutritional "wonder foods", but spinach is one of them.

sunflower, almond, or walnuts.
    I think the Spring Mix has spinach in it but need to double check to make sure. Thanks for the info on adding some nuts.

I marinade my chicken in Wishbone lite italian for at least 24 hours before I grill it or cook it on the stove top.

Other things I've added in addition to what you listed include mandarin oranges, toasted pecans, avocado, bacon, dried cranberries/cherries, onions, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, arugula, sprouts, and mushrooms. I've recently become obsessed with baby bellos.

Granted I'm not on a cholesterol diet, more like paleo, but this is what I do. Oh, and I use 2 tsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp olive oil as my dressing.
    My wife made some dressing using balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a pack of some kind of mix and it was good "not sure if it was healthy lol".

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    for cholesterol you may want to ditch baco-bits, egg yolks, and shrimp. shrimp are incredibly high in cholesterol - one of the mysteries of an otherwise perfect health food.

to lower it, i'd suggest the nuts, berries, and avocado. as redstick stated, dried cranberries are amazing in a salad. try it

As far as bacon goes, this isn't a daily occurrence haha. Just maybe once or twice a month.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As far as bacon goes, this isn't a daily occurrence haha. Just maybe once or twice a month.

I'll throw baco bits in if i find myself in a decent caloric deficit for the day, and usually compliment them with some ranch to kick the cals up.

and yes bigtattoo your olive oil dressing sounds very familiar, I probably use something similar. Post the mix when you can, maybe we can trade flavors

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I do ditch the egg yolks but didn't think about the bacon bits.

Thanks

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I do ditch the egg yolks but didn't think about the bacon bits.

Thanks

A couple yolks a day doesn't increase bad cholesterol. Only good. Eat them!

I'm proof mine is steady dropping with diet and exercise and I eat 2-4 about 3 days a week.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    A couple yolks a day doesn't increase bad cholesterol. Only good. Eat them!

I'm proof mine is steady dropping with diet and exercise and I eat 2-4 about 3 days a week.

depending on how high his cholesterol is (hes on a restricted diet to manage it) this is dangerous advice... BT proceed at own risk.

its more the diet+exercise combo doing the trick, not the yolks alone lol.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    depending on how high his cholesterol is (hes on a restricted diet to manage it) this is dangerous advice... BT proceed at own risk.

its more the diet+exercise combo doing the trick, not the yolks alone lol.

From what I remember its 198. I lived on fried foods my whole life so that has a LOT to do with it.
    One month of light exercise and NO fried food and I'm down 17lbs. Starting Monday I'm gonna bump up the exercise a good bit.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Just don't overdo it too much. You've been doing light exercise, which is great, and now you just want to do moderate, not kill yourself.

What movements are you doing now?

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Black bean and quinoa tacos

1 can black beans
    1 cup sweet corn
    1 cup cooked quinoa

Mix together, season to taste and roll up in tortillas. You can also add salsa, light cheese, lettuce, or whatever your heart desires.

You can also use this in a spring mix salad and maybe add browned up ground turkey for added sustenance.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    From what I remember its 198. I lived on fried foods my whole life so that has a LOT to do with it.
    One month of light exercise and NO fried food and I'm down 17lbs. Starting Monday I'm gonna bump up the exercise a good bit.

thats a fantastic start.

my quick n dirty for "getting started"-

ditch/heavily restrict: booze, soda, eating out (especially fast food). No carbs within 6 hours of bedtime and nothing within 2 hours of bedtime. your salads make perfect dinners for this.

some form of "light" exercise daily ie: 10-20min walk (before breakfast and after dinner are ideal times)

some form of "moderate" exercise a couple times a week, swimming or weights are ideal imo

if the nutrition label looks like chinese: keep sugar as close to zero as possible, get as much protein as you can, and add in some "good" fats. nuts, avocado, fish, etc. Make your carbohydrates the whole grain and slow digesting variety. ie: sweet potatoes instead of white, whole grain instead of white bread, oat meal instead of lucky charms, etc.

start aiming for a gallon of water a day. your first few days you're going to pee all day; your body is mostly water, it'll do everything better when its properly hydrated. this tip goes hand in hand with "no booze no sodas"

start watching your stress and sleep. get 7+ hours of sleep per night, and watch that stress if you've got a job (or female?) that raises it.

btw, feel free to PM me anytime.

If you want to skip EVERYTHING i just posted: diet is 85% of your results. eat right, look right. eat wrong, and you can't compete with what ya eat.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Just don't overdo it too much. You've been doing light exercise, which is great, and now you just want to do moderate, not kill yourself.

What movements are you doing now?

Just cardio push ups and sit ups. Gonna start something like P90X next week.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Just cardio push ups and sit ups. Gonna start something like P90X next week.

That might be too intensive for you to just jump into if you're just doing basic cardio (but I'm not sure what you're doing exactly). Maybe start long distance walking or running?

The worst thing you can do right now is hurt/injure yourself which would keep you from doing anything for some time.

I'm speaking from experience here.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    diet. 85%. keep doin what you're doing if its working - until it doesn't. then you have p90 locked n loaded to push forward. TRUST THE WASCALLY WABBIT! :)

Top Bottom