2014 Healthy Recipes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That might be too intensive for you to just jump into if you're just doing basic cardio (but I'm not sure what you're doing exactly). Maybe start long distance walking or running?

The worst thing you can do right now is hurt/injure yourself which would keep you from doing anything for some time.

I'm speaking from experience here.

Hey now I'm not in that bad of shape lol. I can run 6miles pretty easy and do physical work daily. I have a bad back and every time I start back at the gym I over do myself so this time I'm gonna stick with something like P90X or one of those to see how it works out.

Sorry for getting off topic y'all I need to go read the workout threads lol.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    diet. 85%. keep doin what you're doing if its working - until it doesn't. then you have p90 locked n loaded to push forward. TRUST THE WASCALLY WABBIT! :)

Funny you say that! This is the 1st time I really watch what I'm eating. The results are already better then when I was killing myself in the gym.

Thanks

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hey now I'm not in that bad of shape lol. I can run 6miles pretty easy and do physical work daily. I have a bad back and every time I start back at the gym I over do myself so this time I'm gonna stick with something like P90X or one of those to see how it works out.

Sorry for getting off topic y'all I need to go read the workout threads lol.

Thanks

Well how the heck am I supposed to know that. I wasn't being mean geez. I don't know what your typical workout consists of. You were making it sound a lot worse than it needed to be.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    im guilty as well lol

understand that the "normal" for someone that a) has eaten predominantly fried foods b) has very high cholesterol and c) is starting a weight loss program is usually incredibly overweight and often not medically fit for 2 flights of stairs.

If you can jog 6 miles without a problem, stretch it up then start dunking p90x. alternatively, start incorporating some HIIT sprint sessions into those runs. FYI with back issues I'd incorporate swimming into weekly workouts, the results are astounding.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Well how the heck am I supposed to know that. I wasn't being mean geez. I don't know what your typical workout consists of. You were making it sound a lot worse than it needed to be.

Sorry you took that 100% the wrong way. I was laughing the whole time because you hit the nail on the head I always start back at the gym and hurt myself then stop going. You saying that was a good reminder for me again I'm sorry it came out the wrong way.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    im guilty as well lol

understand that the "normal" for someone that a) has eaten predominantly fried foods b) has very high cholesterol and c) is starting a weight loss program is usually incredibly overweight and often not medically fit for 2 flights of stairs.

If you can jog 6 miles without a problem, stretch it up then start dunking p90x. alternatively, start incorporating some HIIT sprint sessions into those runs. FYI with back issues I'd incorporate swimming into weekly workouts, the results are astounding.

No y'all are right it was my failed attempt at humor sorry.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I generally avoid carby meals and I have no idea how the hell to even cook them anymore, but I'm getting sick of sweet potato n oatmeal all weekend. Red you got any recipes for whole grain pasta or brown rice dishes etc?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I generally avoid carby meals and I have no idea how the hell to even cook them anymore, but I'm getting sick of sweet potato n oatmeal all weekend. Red you got any recipes for whole grain pasta or brown rice dishes etc?

Nothing spectacular. I don't have the exact measurements in front of me but I've but boiled chicken in brown rice before. Wasn't amazing. Tasted like it sounds. I have had better luck with my marinated grilled chicken in brown rice with some cranberries. No butter or oil necessary.

I always have sweet potatoes in my fridge. Between me and the dog we go through 4-5 a week. It's all about portions.

Spaghetti squash pasta is amazing if you have the time to deal with it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah I think this weekend is going to be shrimp burgers on the grill with sweet potato fries.

Shrimp burgers: (easy)

Grill some? Large Shrimp (i usually use 5-6 per "burger")
    Toast a whole wheat/grain Bun
    Add 1/2 a diced avocado, 2-3 jalapeno slices (more to taste?), and 2 tbsp light mayo into blender- mix.

shrimp on the bun with the spicy-green-goop of deliciousness on top. add lettuce, tomato, etc to preference.

sweet potato fries:

3-4 large sweet potatoes
    Some olive oil... just enough to coat them.
    1-2 Tbsp sea salt
    1-2 Tbsp Tony's? or spice of preference. Tony's for a burger; Cinnamon or splenda brown sugar are both great if you're craving something sweet.

Preheat oven to 450°F. For more crispiness kick it up to 500°F.

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut each piece into wedges. Alternately, you can slice the peeled sweet potato into disks and make "chips".

Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add the oil. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with salt and spice of your choice. Use your hands to mix well, so all pieces are coated with oil and spices.

Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet; the oil they are coated with should keep them from sticking to the pan.

Bake for a total of 25 to 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip them all with a spatula. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-ish minutes, or until well browned.

sounds like a lot of work: i can have this meal ready for 2 in 30mins by grilling the shrimp while oven preheats, then making the burger while fries are baking.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Rise and Shine Muffins (Paleo Friendly)

What you need:
    - 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
    - 1/2 raisins
    - 1/2 chopped walnuts
    - 1/4 cup honey
    - 1/8 cup shredded carrots
    - 2 eggs
    - 3/4 cup almond flour
    - 1 tsp cinnamon
    - 1 tsp vanilla extract
    - 1 tsp baking powder

What you do:
    - Preheat oven to 350* F.
    - Combine everything in a large mixing bowl and blend well.
    - Coat muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (or use paper liners) and divide batter among six cups.
    - Bake 25-30 minutes or until the muffins are cooked all the way through.
    - Allow muffins to cool before serving (duh).

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I made the mahi mahi tonight for a dinner party and included some bake veggies.

Yellow squash, zucchini, baby bellas, sweet onion tossed in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once you've got it in the dish, top it with a hint of garlic powder.

Bake at 325 for 40 minutes

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396484279.118487.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I made the mahi mahi tonight for a dinner party and included some bake veggies.

Yellow squash, zucchini, baby bellas, sweet onion tossed in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once you've got it in the dish, top it with a hint of garlic powder.

Bake at 325 for 40 minutes

View attachment 48468
    Why wasn't Austin invited? That looks DELICIOUS!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Jack Miller BBQ sauce? That's the one that comes in a quart jar? The one with the top two inches being pure grease? That you have to shake to mix the grease in?

I haven't had that in years! But to bring it up on a healthy eating thread is just wrong!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Jack Miller BBQ sauce? That's the one that comes in a quart jar? The one with the top two inches being pure grease? That you have to shake to mix the grease in?

I haven't had that in years! But to bring it up on a healthy eating thread is just wrong!

lol people have that reaction about a lot of seemingly "bad" foods. if you're watching carbs, its one of the best ones out there.

Compare it to your Kraft Honey or Hickory Smoke, each with 50g of sugar per 2tbsp. Hell thats like putting a snickers bar on top of your chicken breast.

btw when I say "use a little", it means 2 TBSP, not 1/3 of the jar; and yes, measure it.

Besides, if 2 tbsp of ANY bbq sauce gets you eating grilled chicken and quinoa for dinner 6 nights a week, I promise that you'll see results from the net calorie difference.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom