>223 75 gr Match Ammo For Sale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I'm currently in the process of looking over pages upon pages of MidwayUSA, NatchezSS, Cableas, etc. trying to find the best deal on reloading equipment.
    Why???

As far as I know I am the only one on the line who is currently shooting 75 grn Privi match ammo. I know of a couple who are reloading privi boat tail 75 grn bullets and seem to be pleased with them but being new to the sport I am stuck with what I can currently get from local shops or wally world for commercial. Side note - I believe the same company that makes Wolf is the same as Privi.

Background -

My rifle was made from a kit purchased about two years ago before I knew we had high power in the area. It started life as a 20" hbar. Since then I've added free float hand guards and match sights. The barrel is 1:9. Not exactly top of the line for HP but it's better than sitting on the sidelines. My experience in HP competition so far is right at 1 year.

Observations -

200 - So far the majority of the ammo I've been shooting is the 75grn Privi boat tail ammo. Last weekend I wanted to head to the reduced match in Gonzales but family matters prevented me. I was able to go to our local range however later in the afternoon for some practice. The range goes out to 150 yds. I printed up a 200 yd SR target reduced to 150. Took some shots off sandbags to assure zero and dirty up the barrel some. I took the next 20 offhand. Most of the group was high right but I ended up scoring 179 out of 200. A low expert score - just wish it was for record. For rapid fire sitting the best I have achieved to shoot was a 174 out 200 which is within the sharpshooter class. I'm sure in more capable hands and equipment Master scores could be obtained at the 200 line with this ammo.

300 - Best so far was a 172 out of 200 but I have to add a little more elevation than normal. I'll explain next.

600 - I'm totally screwed at this range. Best so far was a 150 out of 200. Not even close to sharpshooter class. 1) I have to add 3+/- more minutes of elevation than most of the other competitors. It seems that the Privi ammo is a lot slower than what the other guys are using whether it be hand loaded or commercial such as Black Hills. I say plus or minus because for the majority of the time it appears to hover around 3 min more but I have had one 20 rnd box that only required 2 min. I can only assume it was because of lot/quality control, who knows.

Of course being slower, my fellow competitors also remind me that that makes for more time in flight to be pushed by the wind. Last match, I had a Master from Florida spot directly behind me at the 600 line. He stated that for the first 400 yards the bullet looked good but from 400 to 600 things started to go screwy. He attributed it to the 1:9 twist rate.

IMHO - It's good for the 200 and 300 yard line. Even with a better twist rate the lower velocity would keep me from recommending this ammo for anything beyond for competition.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I have reloaded for years in several hangun calibers, started with a single stage Lee Press in .45 when I was a teenager for Bullseye, I currently reload 9mm for all of my combat pistol matches and .38spl for Cowboy Action Shooting for rifle/pistol. I too, will start reloading .223 rifle ammo after Santa drops off some additional equipment, I plan on buying several thousand rounds of bullets, some match grade heavier stuff for high power and farther 3Gun Competition targets, and a bunch of 55gr fmj to load for WSHTF, out of the tens of thousands of rounds that I have shot, I would trust my life into my product just as I would an factory ammo, as I have had very few malfunctions over the years, same reason I still do not let anyone change my oil in my vehicles, quality control, I figured it earlier, with the saved brass I have, I can reload approx 2250 rounds for $350.00, I have been following a post on another gun website http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/35655-223-reloading-cost-effective.html and they have been trying to narrow the costs down, I think they have it down to the science, I do need a case trimmer, and I am off, more accurate too!!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you want the Rolls of case trimmers, try the Giraud. Once you use it, there is no substitute. You can do 1000+ per hour easy.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Yes, the link I attached with the guys that have the .223 reloading down pat, use that trimmer, looking for Santa to rape someone so I can get it, of course aside from match grade upper, which I will be consulting with you shortly, and a closet safe that is also on my list, I thought I was good this year, wife says otherwise, it is stupid for me not to reload, I have almost all of the equipment already, I am experienced and we have boat loads of 5 gal buckets of brass, and almost all of it is commerical premium stuff, I guess I will have to get my tumbler ready as well, now Dan get some sleep, everytime I click on our site, your logged on, your wife is going to use that against you as well for Santa's naughty list, lol

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I just "bit the bullet" and bought some reloading equipment at Midway. I really wanted to get a Rock Chucker kit but I only had $200 to spend at this time. I ended up getting the Lee Challenger Kit plus a Lyman tumbler, Lyman manual and a few other things for right at $200. I figure I can use this for now to decap and clean up the brass I've been hoarding. A few more things after X-Mas and I'll be able to start reloading. Maybe middle of next year upgrade to a Rock Chucker and an electronic scale.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The two of us have been sitting here for 8 hrs watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy straight through. Having the laptop on doesn't do much to increase my uselessness. We have been bums all day, but we did it together.

Top Bottom