<$25 firearm transfer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    Pretty sure gold and gun in Gonzales is $25 as well.

Barking Irons, has since closed its store front, but they told me $25 on the phone. When I arrived they hit me for $25 per gun when I hade 5 AR15s sent there. All of it was on 1 form… last time I did business there.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Guy at work just told me that Bowie Outfitters charges 50 bucks per transfer….. I’m betting they don’t do very many. Imagine spending an hour, shopping around for a little $200 .22 for Jr. or a $200 truck gun, getting free shipping and maybe even dodging the taxes and then finding out you’ll have to pay another 25% to pick it up….too bad none of the FFL’s on file have to state their transfer charge amount for all to see. Now you know.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Pretty sure gold and gun in Gonzales is $25 as well.

Barking Irons, has since closed its store front, but they told me $25 on the phone. When I arrived they hit me for $25 per gun when I hade 5 AR15s sent there. All of it was on 1 form… last time I did business there.
    I gotta ask. Were you really going there expecting them to transfer 5 guns for $25 ? Am I reading that correctly ?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Guy at work just told me that Bowie Outfitters charges 50 bucks per transfer….. I’m betting they don’t do very many. Imagine spending an hour, shopping around for a little $200 .22 for Jr. or a $200 truck gun, getting free shipping and maybe even dodging the taxes and then finding out you’ll have to pay another 25% to pick it up….too bad none of the FFL’s on file have to state their transfer charge amount for all to see. Now you know.
    They are doing one of two things pricing it that way. Either they are using it to limit the number of transfers because they are very busy and its not their core business, or they are doing it to limit the types of people they want at their business.

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    I gotta ask. Were you really going there expecting them to transfer 5 guns for $25 ? Am I reading that correctly ?
    Since I called and told them it was 5 AR15s and they told me $25, yeah I kind of assumed $25. That being said it’s one form, whether it was 1 firearm or 12 firearms, it’s one call to NICS (I have a CCW so not even a call to NICS).

I could see some extra since they had to pick up 5 boxes verse 1 box but the work was hardly different. They didn’t have to process 5 forms or call NICS 5 times.

I was going to buy ammo and mags before the change up of the expected $25 to the $125. I could see $25 for the first and $10 for each subsequent firearm…. Or I would be fine if they said $25 per firearm.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Yes, absolutely. I’ve picked up multiple transfers at once a handful of times and never was asked or expected to pay more than the flat rate. I always assumed that’s how everyone did it.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Since I called and told them it was 5 AR15s and they told me $25, yeah I kind of assumed $25. That being said it’s one form, whether it was 1 firearm or 12 firearms, it’s one call to NICS (I have a CCW so not even a call to NICS).

I could see some extra since they had to pick up 5 boxes verse 1 box but the work was hardly different. They didn’t have to process 5 forms or call NICS 5 times.

I was going to buy ammo and mags before the change up of the expected $25 to the $125. I could see $25 for the first and $10 for each subsequent firearm…. Or I would be fine if they said $25 per firearm.
    It probably would have been better to clarify by asking what their transfer fee is and then asking if they do discounts for multiple firearms. I haven't seen many places that just have a blanket fee of X amount for firearms done at once. The norm is a per firearm fee.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana

But its not one call. Its actually one page on the web, but you and most others without a firearms business overlook the actual time to process firearms.

An employee who isnt working the counter has to stop what they are doing and receive firearms from the courier, then open all five boxes and one by one check serial numbers, then enter each serial number and data into the Fastbound computer, and the NICS, then of course double check, (some are using hand written paper bound books which is even more of a time consuming pain in the butt for five guns), then they have to fill out two 4473's for the five guns (THREE per form, not five). Then check you out for five guns, not one.

I called three FFL"s besides me. No one would charge a single fee for five serials. And if they did when does it end ? What if you transferred fifteen guns next time ? Still $25 ?

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    It probably would have been better to clarify by asking what their transfer fee is and then asking if they do discounts for multiple firearms. I haven't seen many places that just have a blanket fee of X amount for firearms done at once. The norm is a per firearm fee.
    I would’ve figured
    Me: I want to transfer 5 AR15s to your business, do you accept transfers
    Them: yes
    Me: how much to do the transfer?
    Them: $25
    Me: thank you

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No i didn’t realize other businesses charged per firearm, I’ve never heard of that before now.
    I've never heard of an FFL not charging per firearm.
    I would’ve figured
    Me: I want to transfer 5 AR15s to your business, do you accept transfers
    Them: yes
    Me: how much to do the transfer?
    Them: $25
    Me: thank you
    What happened when you got to their store and told them about this conversation? Did you ask them to honor the price that they allegedly told you over the phone? Did they deny explaining it that way?

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately in some cases) many places employ morons. Anyone answering the phone was likely half paying attention and just heard "how much to transfer" and answered with the standard $25 that he likely gets asked about all the time. It would have been a good idea to ask if that is per firearm or for all five, especially knowing that a $5/gun transfer fee is essentially unheard of...

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Lol, most gunnies are upstanding citizens and will give you the shirt off their back but when it comes to gun deals, they will fleece Grandma to get that last $5 off.
    You mean like -- purely hypothetically -- someone spending $4000 on rifles, then getting their knickers in a knot all over a local small business owner charging $100 to provide a transfer service?

Top Bottom