3-Gun Nation in Louisiana? Yes FINALLY! Louisiana Inaugural 3-Gun, June 14th

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Do you have any plans for doing a monthly 3-gun match?

Emperor: obviously you need a shotgun and a rifle in addition to you pistol. Tactical style holster and mag pouches for pistol instead of race versions. You need one or two rifle mag pouches, and you need some sort of shotshell carriers. There are a bunch of different configurations to accommodate different shotgun loading techniques. Probably a good starting point is some 4 shell carriers (e.g. California Competition Works, or similar). Might need slings for both long guns. Tactical Optics division typically allows one optic on the rifle (backup or 45 degree irons are allowed), no optics on shotgun, semi-auto .223 or larger and semi-auto 12ga, 9mm or larger pistol. Consult match rules for more details.

I will delve further! Thank you, Sir.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I'd like to get involved in the sport. Would it be possible to run the course not for score with my stuff to try it out before spending 1000$ in specialized gear? My initial goal is to get better at shooting what I have, before moving on to being a "serious" competitor.

Last edited:

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    I'd like to get involved in the sport. Would it be possible to run the course not for score with my stuff to try it out before spending 1000$ in specialized gear? My initial goal is to get better at shooting what I have, before moving on to being a "serious" competitor.

You really don't NEED any specialized gear to shoot most 3gun matches. If you have an AR15, 9mm or larger pistol, and a shotgun 20 gauge or larger, you can pretty much shoot most local matches.(hence the biggest turn out in matches is TO, everyone has one) A way to carry mags, and shotshells, a holster that will hold your HG while moving, a sling, and you can do almost any local match. Pump shotguns work just fine. You prob. won't win the first one or two, and most are not won by equipment, but by knowledge of one's own weapons and ability to hit a target with them. Equipment may take a good shooter up a bit, and if it is very close between you and your next closest competitor, it MAY help you bridge that gap, but the ability to hit any given target with your gun is more important that a cooler gun. This is assuming your guns work and are accurate enough to start with. Accurate enough is 2MOA on a rifle for the most part, and most will do that with descent ammo. Good luck.

Completetac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    St. Francisville
    Good info from buzzworm thanks. It is a little more involved then starting in USPSA obviously, but do not go spend a ton of money before you shoot a match or two. I understand the Stoeger M-3000 shotgun is almost race ready for $500 for a shotgun, a $50 Nordic Components mag extension and roll. Basic Glock pistol and 16" AR will do fine. I run a Burris LRS 1X4 with Pepr mount that I bought at Optics Planet for under $400 shipped. I plan on running a match at least every month or two as we get rolling. If I can't find a bigger space I may just have to keep smaller matches at my private range so I'll try a monthly match. I appreciate all the kind words, encouragement and support. I am hoping to blow this up and hopefully we can host a regional championship here in La. in the next couple years. Please stay tuned via our web page and Facebook Page. Also I'm not advertising here, but responding to dtrice and whoever, check out my website you may see some opportunities to learn about competition shooting. Thanks again we'll keep pushing.

Perry Mendenall
    www.completetactical.com

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Does anyone recommend a good practice regime to do at the usual square ranges? What distances should I be practicing with each firearm? What do people use for 12 ga? Slugs? I imagine the center fire stuff is just regular plinking grade. I've read people use dump bags for shot shells so I may do that. How many Mags do I need to carry for each gun at a time? Do you work off an approved gear list? I'd hard to be dq'd for bad gear.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If any of you 3-gun guys have the ability, would you be able to post some pics of set-ups? I would like to see simple set-ups; I ain't looking to beat Jerry Miculek!

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My belt has the els system, it makes taking gear on and off easy, but is not needed
    EZ8 caddys for shotgun, with these you can load one at a time, two or four, $65 apiece, cheaper caddys are out there
    A very secure holster
    Pistol and a rifle mag pouches, that's it

Damn, I can't believe I just said that!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My belt has the els system, it makes taking gear on and off easy, but is not needed
    EZ8 caddys for shotgun, with these you can load one at a time, two or four, $65 apiece, cheaper caddys are out there
    A very secure holster
    Pistol and a rifle mag pouches, that's it

Damn, I can't believe I just said that!

Can a shooter use a chest rig for the rifle mags? Or is that silly?

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    ive seen chest rigs run at competitions but they slow down the reloads. Im just getting into it too. Im sure some one has a shell caddy you could borrow for a match. try it and see if it works for you. And remember buy once and cry once. I tried the cheap mag holders and such. It was a waist of money.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ive seen chest rigs run at competitions but they slow down the reloads. Im just getting into it too. Im sure some one has a shell caddy you could borrow for a match. try it and see if it works for you. And remember buy once and cry once. I tried the cheap mag holders and such. It was a waist of money.

As an ultimate consumer, I don't mind paying for anything I might need for my personal enjoyment. Hell, if I buy something that doesn't work out for 3 gun, I might just throw it in the Parish's recycling bin in my garage! :p

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The EZ8's slide rite out.
    The others range from super easy to snatch hard, it sucks when you get to an array and reach for shells that aren't there!! Lol ben there !!

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    Damn you get busy and don't get a chance to check the forum for a couple days and somebody goes and offers a 3gun match that I can actually attend. If it is open to the pubic to watch, I may still try to show up. I would definitely like to be put on the list for the next one.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Damn you get busy and don't get a chance to check the forum for a couple days and somebody goes and offers a 3gun match that I can actually attend. If it is open to the pubic to watch, I may still try to show up. I would definitely like to be put on the list for the next one.
    ^this. I'm curious about the sport and I have a lot of questions.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    On the question of chest rigs for rifle mags, run what you got.

That said, 99% of your typical three gun stages can be shot with two rifle mags. I have a Blade-Tech AR mag on my belt, but that ususally is just my OS mag. If a reload will be needed, I usually use a pair of synched mags or break out the 47 round Nordic'ed pmag :D

all in all, a back pocket would work just fine.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    shameless plug but I have 4 Mountain Man Caddies for sale. It's not about gear guys. There's a old guy that shoots at the local match here and he carries his shells in a dump pouch loose. And he uses a Model 1 16" AR (stock) with Aimpoint M2 and a stock Glock and he always finishes top 10. Granted he told me he won some pistol class every yr for 4 years straight

I have all the cool gear and can't shoot a shotgun for ****. But I look good doing it

Completetac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    St. Francisville
    Yes don't go crazy on gear until you watch or shoot a match. Also not sure on the chest rigs overall, I don't care if you use them on the 3 Gun stages, but as stated not really necessary, you rarely will reload rifle. Also beware for 3GN matches most reloading on classifiers is from the belt, so you will need at least one mag/shell holder for each weapon for that. Don't know about non sanctioned club matches probably everything goes there. I do not mind people coming out to watch the match, just PM me and I'll give you the details. If you've ever been to a match we always need some help with something, it also gives you good ideas on how stages are set, gear needed, mind set, etc.. I'll try and post a picture of my rig tomorrow. But I just run a basic duty rig with dual mag pouch, must have a practical holster, no skeleton speed USPSA race ones. I have a couple tec-lok AR pouches and a Taccom 8-Up shell caddie for load 2 method. I also have a similar 4 shell holder on big shotgun stages, just on the weak side as a back up if I run through 17 shells already. My entire rig would be under $200 for sure.

Top Bottom