Collecting brass from the range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    As I prepare to start my own reloading, I would like to start getting supplies ahead of time so the cost doesn't hit me all at one. Would I look like a jackass if I were to walk around the benches picking up used brass at the range? What do you usually put it in? sorry for the dumb question. :D

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Without interrupting anyone's shooting, just ask first: "Do you keep your brass?" Most people will say "no, you're welcome to it."

Plastic bag or bucket works. A brass bag makes you look a little less like a trick or treater ;)

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Smart move on your part.

Rules vary at ranges on brass pickup, take that into account.

I like plastic shopping bags. 3 of them inside each other. The things is the brass is usually a bit dirty or even wet & 3 plastic grocery bags are a tragedy to throw out. Even inside of a dedicated brass carrier.

I have a gotten a lot of brass by asking. As BayouSlide pointed out it is all in your approach & timing.

I have even picked up brass I can't use caliber wise and got it into the hands of someone that could. What goes around comes around.

If another shooter wants his brass make sure to give him any of his you pickup.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    And don't try to catch it in mid air! That stuff is hot! :)

Seriously, I had someone ask me once. I said fine. My mistake. Every time I emptied a mag he was under my feet... Don't be a pest about it.

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    And don't try to catch it in mid air! That stuff is hot! :)

Seriously, I had someone ask me once. I said fine. My mistake. Every time I emptied a mag he was under my feet... Don't be a pest about it.

Oh I definitely wouldnt do that :rofl: I would just search the empty benches or wait until that shooter left.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Oh I definitely wouldnt do that :rofl: I would just search the empty benches or wait until that shooter left.

Ask them if you can have it before they trash it or sweep it forward. Usually they yes, grab a broom & sweep it to me. It varies depending on the range. At Palo Alto most guys are obviously reloading.

I got lucky last nite about 300 .223 The guy shooting steel was ejecting forward & all the brass case guys were ejecting rearward. I asked the guy next to me, he grabs a broom sweeps me a pile in seconds. He actually said he was glad somebody could use it. Mags dumps are a beautiful thing at times. There were 3 guys going full auto with a 9mm. I heard 1 say to start picking up the brass - so I didn't even ask. They picked it up for sure.

The only thing better is somebody giving you factory ammo. Or maybe components.

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    Well I know I'm bringing trashbags fo sherburne next time for sure. Getting most brass for free, I should pay for my presser and equipment pretty quickly.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Picking up once fired brass is typically not a problem, especially pistol brass. However, I can tell you that the majority of alibis (gun issues) that we have on the highpower line are the result of people picking up range brass. If the chamber it was fired in has overly long headspace, the brass, even once fired, can be subject to casehead separation. Once fired brass from a good rifle can be a great way to cut down on cost, but be careful. I would not pick up someone's reloaded brass, nor would I pick up anything that was re-manufactured. I have seen way too much of that stuff have head separations straight from the re-manufacturer. If a person reloads, do not pick up his brass. The only reason it is being left is that he doesn't want to reload it again. It means he doesn't trust it. Neither should you.

Dan

PS You might consider purchasing an RCBS Precision Mic for whatever caliber you are shooting. It will help you identify brass that has been fired in an out of spec chamber.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    1 of the best pieces of advice I took was to buy 1 or 2 hundred pieces of new brass to start loading .223. Get a case gauge if it is for an AR.

Since then I have gotten to where dealing with the mixed range brass is not a problem. At first it just eliminates some variables. If you get a bunch of brass with the same headstamp it helps.

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    So your saying to practice my first few hundred rds with new brass just to get my routine down then start with the once fired stuff?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    So your saying to practice my first few hundred rds with new brass just to get my routine down then start with the once fired stuff?

Yes on .223 (IIRC that is the rifle caliber you had listed in the other thread) not so much routine as feel. 100 might be enough. 200 should definitely be enough.
    You will get a feel for the brass sizing and how the primer pocket feels. Mixed range pickup (MRP for short) has variance in headstamp and weapon it was shot out of. Rim defects are more prevelant on MRP. Dents and being crushed into concrete are on MRP. Varied tarnish and stains on MRP. Dirt and dust or even mud with MRP.
    New brass should be more uniform and the best way to start. You can be certain how many times it was used. No military primer crimps either. The case gauge will catch a round the has defects you can hardly find.

As to what Dan said above:
    Last night I saw the guys take the factory ammo out & shoot it. It hits the floor and I get it. How do I know that what I picked up was only from them? There was already some .223 there. So I have to treat it all as unkown source. It would only take 1 bad case to give me a problem.

I had a case rupture on a .22lr. The rim split. It pretty well convinced me that eye protection is need at all times and I do not want a case rupture on a centerfire.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Important SAFETY tip: DO NOT attempt to pick up any brass in the general area where BAYOUSLIDE is shooting -- you could lose a hand. Or an arm.
    JK. No one is a bigger brass whore than me. That stuff could be worth more than U.S. currency soon. I also pick up calibers that I don't reload and give it to those who do.

slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    searchin for a 10mm case

things are so sad that i saw four poor forum members are actually trying to track down 1 10mm brass casing at sherburne.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom