.380 carry - does anyone do exclusively ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Just wondering.

I carry a Sig 229 in .40, and a 232 in .380

The 229 weighs TWICE what the 232 weighs (loaded)

232 so much lighter, thinner, easier to conceal (even OWB), etc.

Oddly enough, the 229 grips were a little small for my hands, so I put the Hogue grips on.

Another oddity, the 232 fits my hand very well.

Thinking if needed for SD, would be at very close range, so caliber won't make a huge difference if shot placement is good.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Buffalo Bore makes some pretty stout .380 rounds that get pretty close to 9mm strength, and that steel frame on the sig can take it. I know one person personally who carries a 232 exclusively. Granted, the man can pick a fly off of a fence post with it.

Either way, anything is better than nothing at all.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'm no gun expert, but if anyone wants to volunteer to demonatrate how ineffective a .380 is at pocket pistol ranges, I'll put two or three in your chest for science.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    This has been discussed ad nauseum the last few years. Ever since the proliferation of the "mouse guns". While I would never carry one for self defense, some do and that is fine, different strokes and all. ;) Bottom line is that a .380 in your pocket now will always outshine the 9/40/45 sitting back in the safe when it's actually needed. I would, however, be interested to know the actual number of anti .380 crowd who became instant fanboys and saw it as a fantastic SD round when the Glop 42 hit! :rofl:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Thinking if needed for SD, would be at very close range, so caliber won't make a huge difference if shot placement is good.

The problem with .380 isn't caliber, it's penetration. If you want a round that will make it to the major blood bearing organs through most clothing, bone, flesh, etc that a bullet may encounter on it's path, .380 ACP in general doesn't offer reliable penetration in anything but ball ammo. That is if you buy into penetration gel tests and what most seem to say is adequate penetration. I'd like to carry .380 guns because they are small. Anything is better than nothing, but it's not much more difficult for me to carry .38 Special or 9mm for that extra penetration.

Good luck.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    As mentioned above, BuffaloBore makes some kickass rounds. If your 380 can handle higher-pressure rounds (my LCP can't...), they make a hard cast lead 102gr FN round that gives penetration of 24" (!!!!) and a 90 or 95 gr JHP round that'll do 13-14. Lest you be skeptical, it comes from here: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/handgun-stopping-power/ see page 2). Even if that IS off a bit, that's still pretty damn good!

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    This is kind of a windy clip, but is very interesting. I carry the 102 gn. Remington Golden Saber and was a little disappointed. Hope this is not made up for him to push a certain ammo manufacturer.

Video starts about 35-40% down from top.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The problem with .380 isn't caliber, it's penetration. If you want a round that will make it to the major blood bearing organs through most clothing, bone, flesh, etc that a bullet may encounter on it's path, .380 ACP in general doesn't offer reliable penetration in anything but ball ammo. That is if you buy into penetration gel tests and what most seem to say is adequate penetration. I'd like to carry .380 guns because they are small. Anything is better than nothing, but it's not much more difficult for me to carry .38 Special or 9mm for that extra penetration.

Good luck.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?123593-short-barrel-380acp-finally-made-it

This post has a "Ammo Quest Video" test of the .380 Precision One XTP HP from a short barrel. The test of penetration and expansion came back pretty good. All 4 shots had an average of 13.5" of penetration from a short barrel into Denim and gel.
    That's pretty good IMO.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I've never done any gel tests, but I've located .380 ball ammo in house after a drive by. I'd say going from a car in the middle of the street, through the outer wall, then into or through a second wall isn't too bad. I don't recall the wall materials or construction off hand, I'll just say cheap, but still not too bad.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    This may sound like a Kahr commercial, but this is why we come here, to discuss these things...

On each of their manufacturer's websites, the Sig 232 and Kahr PM9 are listed at 18.5 oz and 15.9 oz, respectively. The 232 is over an inch longer than the PM9. It's also 0.7" taller and 0.3" wider.

If you can get a 9mm in your pocket that's smaller and lighter than a 380, why not carry the 9? I realize there are lighter and smaller .380's, but the OP was about the Sig.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I'll be carrying a .32 cal. today. Great pistol easy to conceal and pretty effective round. I have many .380 pistols but today none will conceal better than my keltec .32

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    My only concern with Precision One is I am not familiar with them.

If these results are accurate, and the ammo is reliable, I would consider not carrying my 229 in .40 and carry the 232 in .380 always.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

And since the 232 has a longer barrel (3.60" compared to 2.80" in the test), I would assume performance would be greater.

Looked on Precision One web site, and they don't give any stats for fps or ft.lbs.

Kind of wondering what's up with that.

BTY, he kind of looks and sounds like Steve Carell with a beard

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    I carry a bodyguard 380. It fits in my pocket and has 7 rounds of 102 grain ammo available. It beats using my pocket knife and its the best option i have to carry in the summer. I dont think my 45 ruger will conceal very well under a t shirt.

Top Bottom