.380 carry - does anyone do exclusively ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The wife carries a Bersa .380 because she can control the gun, thus putting effective rounds on target.
    I do the the same with .38spl airweight j frames, hence I carry that almost all the time.
    Penetration? Hopefully, nobody here will ever have to use their weapon to defend themselves, but if you do, more than likely it will happen within 7 feet if not up close and personal.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I can land headshots 7/7 at 3-4 yards with my .380. "most" self defense shootings are at 7-12 feet?, so I'm confident that my shot placement will be just fine.

regarding 12-18" of penetration for sciencey-fbi-nerdmath-bullcrap: at 7 feet if you can land tennis ball sized patterns, aim for the face and be done with it. if im defending my life at a few feet im not aiming for the chest, im aiming for closed casket. if you think my guns insufficient, come rob me.

ill now say that anywhere other than the office I carry the g19 or p99.

Last edited:

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    Just wondering.

I carry a Sig 229 in .40, and a 232 in .380

The 229 weighs TWICE what the 232 weighs (loaded)

232 so much lighter, thinner, easier to conceal (even OWB), etc.

Oddly enough, the 229 grips were a little small for my hands, so I put the Hogue grips on.

Another oddity, the 232 fits my hand very well.

Thinking if needed for SD, would be at very close range, so caliber won't make a huge difference if shot placement is good.

i carry my glock42 exclusivly (off Duty), and i've shot it very accuratly out to 25yards via post course....

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Just wondering.

I carry a Sig 229 in .40, and a 232 in .380

The 229 weighs TWICE what the 232 weighs (loaded)

232 so much lighter, thinner, easier to conceal (even OWB), etc.

Oddly enough, the 229 grips were a little small for my hands, so I put the Hogue grips on.

Another oddity, the 232 fits my hand very well.

Thinking if needed for SD, would be at very close range, so caliber won't make a huge difference if shot placement is good.

I always have my sig p238. Sometimes my XDM .45C also. But I always have the .380.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    S&W Bodygaurd or Bersa 380 about 90% of the time. Still looking for the right set-up to conceal a full size M&P9 on my smaller frame.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'd love to find a 9mm which I could comfortably carry but I have never found one small enough with the attributes I am comfortable with.

For years I've always had my Seecamp 32. Its just so damned small...AND RELIABLE IMO. Never had a FTF with it.

But....after reading some articles and giving it some thought...I figured that it would probably be better to go with a .380

A big part of my decision was the Precision One video. I was really impressed with the @ 14" penetration. So...FWIW I ordered a few boxes of the Precision One .380 XTP ammo and then started looking for a reliable .380
    Found a stainless Sig 232 for 500.00

Now..I need to go to the range and try it out....make sure its reliable...and if so..I'm good to go.

I wanted an exposed hammer with DA/SA preferably. And...Most importantly, it must be reliable. If there is even the slightest doubt of a FTF, forget about it. I also prefer stainless, because whenever i would carry a non-stainless....it would begin rusting after one summer.

I'm hoping the Sig works out. From everything I have read and heard, it is an extremely accurate and reliable gun. Perfect for me IMO. And in the end, a CCW should always be something that instills confidence.

Top Bottom