.454 Casull reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ask your questions.

I'm looking to load some light "plinking" rounds, but I want to load .454 cases, not .45 Colt. So the question would be what would happen if I went way below the starting load for .454 and loaded that case like a .45 Colt? Would it not ignite reliably? Would it create a dangerous detonation hazard?

Also, what powder would be suitable for such loads? I was planning on using 260gr lead bullets.

I have experience with reloading, just never done any .454 Casull. I'll be shooting a Ruger Alaskan with a 2 1/2" barrel.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Better check your load data again, I think you can cram about a 1/2 lb. of powder in each case...Or so it seems.

lol....

I'm looking to load some light "plinking" rounds, but I want to load .454 cases, not .45 Colt. The starting load for .454 with any given powder is almost three times that of .45 Colt. The case is not that much bigger. So the question would be what would happen if I went way below the starting load for .454 and loaded that case like a hot .45 Colt? Would it not ignite reliably? Would it create a dangerous detonation hazard?

Also, what powder would be suitable for such loads? I was planning on using 260gr lead bullets.

I have experience with reloading, just never done any .454 Casull. I'll be shooting a Ruger Alaskan with a 2 1/2" barrel.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry, I got my numbers mixed up. It's late and I'm tired.

The question is still, can I load a .454 Casull case with .45 Colt load data, and if so, what would be a good powder to use for that?

For example, starting load for .45 Colt using Titegroup/260gr bullet is 5.5gr, max is 6.3gr.

Same powder and bullet, a .454 load is 9.9gr starting load.

Can I load a .454 with the max load for .45 Colt of 6.3gr? Or, say 7gr, and work up from there?

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    45 colt operates at a much lower pressure than 454. IIRC the 45 is around 14k psi and the 454 is 50k+. Your gun wont blow up from 45 colt level loads. The Alaskan bbl is short so stuck bullets should not be an issue either. You should be well within safe limits. Accuracy is another issue. You wont know how your gun likes your loads until you pull the trigger. Post some pics when you do.

Whats the difference in the heaviest 45 charge vs the lightest charge in 454 with your chosen powder and bullet?

Last edited:

bigboreblaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    so cal
    lite 454 loads

I have been reloading the 454 for 30 years and yes you can use any 45lc load you want. the only problem is don't use lite loads of H110 or 296 or other slow ball powders or you may get hang fires. Unique is a great powder for reduced loads as are most of the faster shotgun type powders. Use rem 7 1/2 br primers for the hotter loads but the light loads u can use small rifle or pistol ;)

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    bigboreblaster, thanks for your reply. It helps greatly. I will try some loads in the next few days and report back.

Meanwhile, do you have any favorite recipes for this cartridge to share?

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Also just remember that if the Hornady brass is leverevolution it is shorter than standard and can raise pressures with regular loads. Not sure if you could get the Casull in it though.

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    wwe8smc7qz6o8xzf7exa.jpg
    fn9zb9sty808ncwbi9.jpg

Here's a couple. The RD is a 290 gr cast Ranch Dog gas checked

Top Bottom