300 Mag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm tossing around the idea of picking one up. What type of ballistics does it offer? What kind of kick does it have in a sporter type bolt action?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What are you looking to shoot with it? how far away? What kind of experience do you have shooting rifles? Will you be using a muzzle brake or not?

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    What are you looking to shoot with it? how far away? What kind of experience do you have shooting rifles? Will you be using a muzzle brake or not?

I have in mind for whitetail on pipelines and potentially hogs and texas deer. I'm assuming max 300 yard shots, 200 yards and in realistically. I've shot .270 Weatherby Mags, 30-06's, and LEAD 3.5" turkey and buckshot rounds out of my 870 pump. I'm not a masochist but I can take moderate kick in bursts.

No muzzle break to start.

Last edited:

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    For your use I would stick with a 270 or '06. Have and have had 300 Win and Weatherby Mags, to much pain for me when you don't need it to get the job done on hogs and deer.
    A lot of Texas deer's last act was meeting the 270.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    A factory 300win kicks like hell. My brother in law got one he couldn't finish sighting it in. Too much pain. A lead sled would have prevented that, but I think the catridge is way overkill. But with that being said, I have always said that if ones tracking skills or overall accuracy isn't that good then shoot a cannon so the target doesn't go far: even if your shot is a little less than perfect.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    The reason I'm asking about this round is I came across a heckuva deal on a particular rifle. Trust me I didn't go out looking for a round to dislocate my shoulder. :rofl: I don't have the funds, nor do I hunt enough to justify multiple rifles for multiple scenerios or game animals.

My train of thought is get low-power hand loads or factory ammo in the .308 - 30-06 power range for local hunting. If a midwest or Alaska trip happens to fall into my lap, go with the true Mag rounds. I actually see a lot of versatility potential with this deal.

I guess my next question is are there low power-rounds available?

Puddle Pirate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    I came across a Winchester model 70 in 300 Win Mag with the 26" barrel two years ago and with the price I paid I had planned on reselling it at some point. It kicked like a mule and I really didn’t care for it. The guy I got the gun from gave me a Sims Limbsaver pad he had never installed and that made all the difference. I actually enjoy shooting it even with out the Lead Sled. It moves a bit when I shoot but on a bipod its fine. The area I hunt has canals and levee's and 500 yard shots are possible. However I usually use the Hornady 150 grain SST's and with a 200 yard zero it is about 5" low 300 yards, my self imposed limit. I have not used the 06 or .243 in a long while and honestly don’t intend to. I thoroughly enjoy the gun.

My 2cp

Last edited:

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    The kick resembles a grenade going off on your shoulder. They are great on deer, but I encourage overkill on these animals. People will argue that it is too much gun and you don't NEED that much gun. Chances are they are probably a sissy and just afraid of some recoil. You can get bulk ammo for cheap.

So let me see... Cheap ammo, great long range performance, and they kill a little too good. I say it's a no brainier.

Oh yea, a limb saver recoil pad is cheap and wonderful

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    I shoot allot of .308 win and 30-06 but I do love my 300 win mag. The 300 win is another one of those inherently accurate calipers but usually likes to be to be loaded hot for best accuracy (in my experience). It uses a lot more powder for what some consider marginal ballistic improvement, and can burn barrel pretty quick. I own 2, a lightweight Browning A-bolt around 7 lbs and a Remington 700 Sendero weighing in over 12 lbs. The Sendero is a pleasure to shoot, the the A-Bolt is nice to carry up the side of a mountain. However, the recoil on the 7 lb A-Bolt can be brutal and I'm pretty recoil in-sensitive.

I've always been a "there's no such thing as too much gun" kind of guy. However I had go to a heavier constructed bullet to prevent massive meat destruction on close shots. I regularly shoot at ranges longer than 400yds sometimes out to 600yds while hunting ( I practice allot at those ranges please don't take shots at an animal unless you're confident and competent shooting at that distance ) For Whitetails and Hogs at less than 300 yds expect allot of meat damage especially if you don't reload. Commercial ammo can be quite expensive too.

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    have a browning A bolt in 300 Win Mag.....it has a muzzle brake, recoil is no more than an 06, or a 308.............but will shoot flatter at longer distances. Only reason I bought mine, was got hell of a deal at gunshow. It would be great for elk, which I don't hunt. its a great bench rest rifle though. If you get one with muzzle brake, get some good ear muffs, cause the sucker is loud.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I bit the bullet and took the deal. Fired off a handfull of 165 grain rounds for gits and shiggles and was very pleased. It has less kick than 3" Turkey Mags in a 12g pump. I didn't sight it in but I think it's promising.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    You'll be glad you got it.

BTW, The ONLY thing that kicks more than a 3" Turkey load is a 3 1/2. Either one of the two are the hardiest kicking bullets I've ever shot.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    You'll be glad you got it.

BTW, The ONLY thing that kicks more than a 3" Turkey load is a 3 1/2. Either one of the two are the hardiest kicking bullets I've ever shot.

Heck, I've got an 870 Exp Super Mag that I use all the time 3.5" Turkey Mags with a Turkey tube on Hogs during squirrel season, 3.5" OO Buck rounds for hogs during deer season. Yes, state WMA... Based on everything I've heard the 300 Mag would have made those feel like a .22. WRONG!

There was some great info provided here. I appreciate all of the feedback everyone provided. All of it helped out in making my decision.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Love my .300 win mag.
    116fsak.jpg
    and don't find the kick unbearable. Does not destroy deer (with large exit wounds) like some may claim. If you got a good deal on the rifle you won’t regret the caliber.

Lone Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    A .300 magnum is not needed in Louisiana unless you were shooting at extreme ranges. However, there is no such thing as overkill. I have both a .300 Weatherby and a .300 WSM. I have shot .300 Winchesters. The .300 WSM seems to have considerably less recoil than the other two rounds in my experience and is very accurate. The .300 Weatherby has considerably more recoil than the other two. If you plan to go out of state hunting such as out west than I would look into a .300 magnum or if you need an excuse to buy another rifle that is sufficient reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom