5.56 M193 vs M855 for home defense...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Really, that's so odd. I guess us that know nothing and haven't done hundreds of CQB runs seem to think there is a problem with a M193 going thru sheetrock... I mean, this guy seems to think there is no way it could happen:
    I think pangris was pointing out that the M193 doesn't penetrate more than any other typical self defense caliber. Maybe even less. The 9, 40 and 45 all go straight through on their path, where as the 5.56 is already tumbling and potentially less lethal.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    gotta keep min mind though, a 9mm will go through pretty much every wall in your house...especially if its a cheaply made house.

It all depends on what it hits while its in your house. If it goes through 2 pieces of sheetrock & then hits a chest of drawers or book shelf...its going to impact its penetration.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    People laugh at me when I say that I'll only buy a house that is made of brick or cinder block...stuff like this is why.

I'm not too worried about the internal walls of a house I buy, I'll never be married or have kids...so I'm likely to retain an empty home outside of myself.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    That was my point. I am not under the impression a half inch of gypsum magically stops lead going 3000 fps ;)

IN FLESH, the .223 penetrates less than most handguns, and there isn't a statistically significant difference between the .223 and handguns when shooting cross sections of building materials.

That I agree with. .223 really isn't that bad of battle damage (one round). I would prefer in the house a frangible handgun round. Over penetration is such a scary thing. Shot placement and discipline is so important.

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm a novice at every point and turn. With that said Myself and Oreo just got back from a camp today and were having a blast (literally) putting .223 rounds through 6x6 pressure treated lumber. The first time was clean thru ONE 6x6. The next rounds were thru TWO 6x6's. Both 55 grain wolf and 55 grain Prvi were used. The third rounds were 62 grain wolf which went through two 6x6 and into the third. These were from about 50 ft more or less. Overpenetration from inside your house? You decide. (I did not read the boxoftruth article. I only know what I witnessed first hand)

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I know, huh? I just spoke with certainty...

All of my life I wanted a good woman and a family...then I realized that I'm feral and cant stand being tied down.

Watch...I'll get an ex g/f pregnant within 200 more posts, or something retarded.

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ummm.. not.

AR with 193 penetrates less than a 9mm handgun... or a .40 cal... or a .45 cal... penetrates less through building materials as well.

855 will keep on going, however.

Well, I'm not sure that I care how stable it would be if I got hit with one standing behind two walls 6 inches thick (or 5.5 inches). That mother's gonna do some damage from what I've seen. And after going through 11 inches of solid wood I'm not sure I'll go with your statement above. My XD45 didn't penetrate through 2 inches maybe 3 of wood at a distance of 25 ft. I will however reiterate my novice position and can only go with what I witnessed. I defer to your experience on this one.

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Again, I defer to your experience, but it makes your earlier quote seem less absolute. If it's not consistent then it might not penetrate less ...........oh never mind.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Carry a sawed off 12 guage, dump out the buck shot and fill that bad boy with broken glass and rock salt, then aim for the face :D

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Good idea. I'll try that next time. These had about 3-4 inches between. Stats and ballistics aside, it was still (for me anyway) pretty neat to see.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Its always fun testing loads. We even played with Glaser's once. The 9mm went through everything! I think it penetrated more than fmj!

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    We work off statistics and best guess, but a ball cap bill can deflect a .308, so it is all best guess.

Good thing Zombies wear their cap's backwards. :D

An advantage of having a OLD house is the 3/4" shiplap siding under the sheet rock and true 2"x4" studs. Helps the over penetration issue.

MacMail I see a field test in our future...

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    The concerns about .223 penetration in a home are overblown was my only point.

I don't think the concerns are overblown, per se. Sending a .223 round will overpenetrate. It will go right thru your sheet rock and go where it wants after initial impact. It might not go to far, maybe just a room or two. But what if that room over is your daughters room. Send in the glasers.

Penguin - how about frangible rifle ammo? That is actually supposed to make some of the worst wounds to boot... vaporizes stuff (shudders).

For the house, I say go for it. It doesn't so much as vaporize as it does cause different wound characteristics. Due to the jacket splitting apart, the wound will be smaller and more in line with fragmentation than tradional bullet characteristics. Will anything less than a head shot on a heavily clothed BG kill the BG? Probably not. Will 2-3 rounds CM on a BG cease their assault? Probably. Do I want to risk sending a round thru my daughter's bedroom or take 2-4 more shots? I'll take the extra rounds. I will send as many rounds down range to incapacitate the BG as needed. I'm not so concerned that after putting 2 glasers CM that a BG will continue his assault as I am about me putting 5 rounds downrange at a minimum and 1 going into my baby's room, but to each their own. Oh, and frangible round fragments are not going to be fun for a doc to clean out...

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    im a little opposite. id rather one overpenetrating round, than the dynamics of multiple hits.

a brpd officer was struck with a tripple tap aimed to the chest area and one hit his chest, the other his head... he dropped that fast. the third went out the window. ONE over penetrating round is better than a missed "free to fly as it may" round. just my OPINION.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom