Was accused of trying to make a straw purchase today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Buddy of mine wants to build an AR, and his wife is onboard. I ordered him a LPK, and she was gonna get him a lower for his birthday on Saturday. I was planning on building it Friday for him, so he'd be surprised with it.

I meet up with his wife, go to LA Gun & Reloading Supply, he doesn't have any.
    Call Precision while in the parking lot, they have a few different ones to choose from. Cheapest is $159. A lower is a lower, so she decides to go get him this one.

We go over there, walk up the counter and talk to the older guy, he pulls it out, I look the different lowers out, and make sure the $159 (Saber Defense) lower is alright; no scuffs or scratches or anything. Looks good!

Ask her if she wants this one for her husband, or if she wants a more expensive one. Tell her this one will do fine for his build. She says if I see no problem with it, she'll get the Saber Defense one. Tell the guy she'll take it, he copies her DL, then walks into the office, and speaks to someone. Thought he might have been getting the 4473 or something for her.

He walks out and a manager comes out, says I'll have to fill out the paperwork to make the purchase. Says that since I got the ball rolling, they think that I'm really the one trying to get the gun, and because of this, I have to do the paperwork.

Older guy says "Since these have to be registered in this state, the proper owner has to do the paperwork." I give him a look like :confused: :eek3: and ask how it'd be different since it isn't for me either. It is a gift from a wife to a husband for a birthday. Says it doesn't matter, I'd have to do the paperwork since I'm the one that is doing all the inquiring about it, and doing all the leg work on it.

Another :confused: :eek3: :mad:

Didn't bother showing my credentials, or trying to explain anything to them, they didn't appear to be able to use logic at the time.

Looks like my buddy won't be getting a lower, since nobody else has them in stock for less than $200 anywhere that I can find in the BR area. Gonna call a few more places tomorrow, and see what I can do.

This is one person who won't be returning to Precision since they don't seem to actually know what they are doing. Gifts are perfectly legal, and none of the parties involved are prohibited from owning firearms. Hell, he's one of my shooting buddies when we're off!

acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    One can only imagine the parade of morons that flows through gunshops like diesel fumes rolling in and out of your car a/c on the road.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In their defense, the ATF rides FFL holders pretty hard about straw purchases. There is a whole booklet about how to spot a potential straw purchaser and your description of the story fits it perfectly. I'm certain they would have loved to sell her the lower, but they felt like they couldn't based on the circumstances.

I just got my FFL last month for Curios & Relics and got a huge stack of law, rule books, and assorted pamphlets with it. I'm still reading through it all. Straw purchasing is one of the topics brought up over and over again in the books.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    In their defense, the ATF rides FFL holders pretty hard about straw purchases. There is a whole booklet about how to spot a potential straw purchaser and your description of the story fits it perfectly. I'm certain they would have loved to sell her the lower, but they felt like they couldn't based on the circumstances.

I just got my FFL last month for Curios & Relics and got a huge stack of law, rule books, and assorted pamphlets with it. I'm still reading through it all. Straw purchasing is one of the topics brought up over and over again in the books.
    Yep. They were just covering their asses.

That said, you can drive down to Bill's and pick up a lower OTD For $100.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Yeah man, I haven't had good experiences with the people that work there or the management. Kevin is the only person there who seems to know much about anything and most of the rest of the people I've met are arrogant and unfriendly, including the girls that work there. Almost everyone else acts like they've got a problem with every person that walks through the door, or like they are so intelligent, and well informed, when it comes to guns that they can have a "**** you" attitude towards their customers and clientele. I wish I could say better things about the place, really do...been shooting there for years, long before these guys owned/ran it and I never had a problem until they took it over.

If there was a better option I would never set foot in that place again. I've taken rude comments and blatant disrespect from people working there too many times.

Its the only option I really have in BR as a civy for a decent place to shoot, so I'll continue shooting there until my membership expires or one of the guys reads this and bans me from the place...whichever comes first.

Sorry for your bad experience, but from my own and a disappointing amount of other people...it doesn't surprise me.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I love going there. It's the customers you have to look out for. I'm more than certain if I had to deal with those kinds of clientele every day I'd have the same standoff-ish attitude to everyone walking in the door as well.

Looking at it positively, Precision is a great place to learn to shoot and be aware of your surroundings. I constantly have my eyes on the muzzles around me.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I love going there. It's the customers you have to look out for. I'm more than certain if I had to deal with those kinds of clientele every day I'd have the same standoff-ish attitude to everyone walking in the door as well.

No ****! I heard that librarians go there to shoot wearing cut-off jean shorts.........

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    order one from Essential Arms and have it sent to an FFL that's not an *******. I paid for one over the phone and my FFL got it in 2 days (Metairie). Since they are so close to Baton Rouge, I'd bet it would get there the next day. I've got many different lowers, and this is just as good as my Bushmaster or DPMS.

lower receiver assembled with grip is $158

http://essentialarms.com/

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Whatever... Strawpurchaser!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Never been to Precision.. But sounds like maybe they where a little HUA..

Pick up a shotgun news.. Lots of lowers in there for good price..

Good luck.. And stop trying to be sneaky.. And all Strawy..:rofl::rofl::rofl:

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    I might have a Sun Devil lower at the house; if you feel like making the drive down to New Orleans, PM me and I'll get you a price. FTF sale > FFL with bad attitude every time. :D

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I've been there about 30 times in the last year and one of the regular guys does seem to be lightening up a bit, I have to give that to him. The random people that work there for like a week and I never see again are often OK, sometimes even engaging in a friendly way.

Perhaps my memory was embittered by my experiences with Wade, and the random unpleasant moments I've felt with some employees.

I'll be fair and stfu. :)

Vermi, where ya been!? I'm a movie star now*sarcasm*, haven't been a librarian for months...lol, I do payroll.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I might have a Sun Devil lower at the house; if you feel like making the drive down to New Orleans, PM me and I'll get you a price. FTF sale > FFL with bad attitude every time. :D

Is it a stripped lower or any parts included?? I want to build another AR myself..And I dont mind driving to New Orleans..:D

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Is it a stripped lower or any parts included?? I want to build another AR myself..And I dont mind driving to New Orleans..:D

Stripped. I'll give tunatuk first dibs, but if I don't hear from him by tomorrow, it's all yours. :D I also have a Les Baer lower with the Katrina engraving that I'm going to put up for sale pretty soon...

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    You can't blame them for not selling her a lower! They are/were trying to cover there ass. Strawpurchases is a big deal, and your senerio would be a perfect example of a straw sale. They probly thought you were her husband / boyfriend and that you could not own a firearm. It sucks, but it is life! I wouldn't be suprised if she get's a visit from a local ATF agent, since they probly copied her license!

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Stripped. I'll give tunatuk first dibs, but if I don't hear from him by tomorrow, it's all yours. :D I also have a Les Baer lower with the Katrina engraving that I'm going to put up for sale pretty soon...

what is the Katrina engraving?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom